FAO ANYONE who has ever had a bank charge

mum2be? said:
HEllo

i am curently trying this for my mum claiming £1000 in charges in last 6 years. :oops: .

Had letter from Abbey to sya they received first letter and will get back to us within 40 days? Do you think this is too long?

Also i went overdrawn tuesday , so wednesday they charged me £30 , i was not willign to pay £30 only £12 which they can charge, so i phoned Barclays Wednesday and had big argument stuck to what i wanted and got the whole £30 refunded back to em Goodwill they say lol

:cheer:

Did you state a time frame in your initial letter? If you said you needed to hear back from them in a certain time frame, then stick by that, but if not, state that you feel 40 days is unacceptable, and would like a response within 21 days.
You have to give them enough time to get it through to the right dept etc, and its not a speedy process, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to write back with your own time limit.

Good Luck :hug:

We've had two occassions now which we have been charged £30 for going over so my dh just phones up and has a go at them. Both been refunded straight away.

I went to my local Barclays today and asked them to send me 6 years worth of statements.

Can't wait to see if it works or not I'm sure my total will be at least £200 maybe more.

How long does it generally take after you send them a letter asking for it back?

Thanks again for the info girls!

:cheer: :cheer:

Emmylou said:
mum2be? said:
HEllo

i am curently trying this for my mum claiming £1000 in charges in last 6 years. :oops: .

Had letter from Abbey to sya they received first letter and will get back to us within 40 days? Do you think this is too long?

Also i went overdrawn tuesday , so wednesday they charged me £30 , i was not willign to pay £30 only £12 which they can charge, so i phoned Barclays Wednesday and had big argument stuck to what i wanted and got the whole £30 refunded back to em Goodwill they say lol

:cheer:

for the record, the legal time limit they have to respond is 40 days, not before, if you read my 1st post on this thread it tells you the time limit,

its 40 days from the date they receive the letter

Urchin- they send your statements and then once you send the letter telling them your claiming x amount theyve got 40 days to respond.

Barclays didnt send me my letter with my offer in it until the 40th day, they dont tend to hurry theirselves

Did you state a time frame in your initial letter? If you said you needed to hear back from them in a certain time frame, then stick by that, but if not, state that you feel 40 days is unacceptable, and would like a response within 21 days.
You have to give them enough time to get it through to the right dept etc, and its not a speedy process, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to write back with your own time limit.

Good Luck :hug:

I've got my letter ready to send by recorded delivery but where do I send it?

My local branch, complaints department or what? And do I address it to the manager?

Also, I've given them 14 days to resolve the matter but on 23rd and 26th January theres more charges due to come out. In the letter I've said I want these cancelled, do you think I've left it too late?

I've applied for another account with someone else so as soon as I pay my overdraft back next month Im switching :cheer:

urchin said:
I went to my local Barclays today and asked them to send me 6 years worth of statements.

Can't wait to see if it works or not I'm sure my total will be at least £200 maybe more.

How long does it generally take after you send them a letter asking for it back?

Thanks again for the info girls!

:cheer: :cheer:

Mine was quicker as was a smaller amount, I got £282.00 - first letter sent at the end of April, court claim started on 6th June 06, payment received no more than 4 weeks after I started court proceedings.

DF sent first letter and court proceedings on same dates as me, but he had a letter from Lloyds saying they were gonna fight the claim (it was large!!!) the court proceedings were then transferred from Northampton to Derby (local court) and the funds hits his bank mid august I think - just a few days before the court date!

I have another question.

Has anyone done it for a credit card? I have a barclaycard AND a barclays account, will I have to make seperate claims?
Anyone got the address or a phone number for barclaycard? I need my statements.

You'll have to so it as 2 separate claims I think.....I'm sure Barclaycard is officially a separate company.......

I've never claimed from Credit Card, but will look into it when i;m on Maternity Leave as I'll have more time on my hands to go through everything.

Barclaycard:

Barclaycard
Customer services for existing customers.
0870 154 0154 Lines open 24 hours, seven days a week.

For information and to apply. 0845 766 0758 Lines open Monday to Friday 8am-8pm and Saturday 8am-2pm.

Not sure about address....but it should be on a statement or you could just give them a quick buzz and ask them?

LOTS OF LUCK

:hug: :hug:

urchin said:
I have another question.

Has anyone done it for a credit card? I have a barclaycard AND a barclays account, will I have to make seperate claims?
Anyone got the address or a phone number for barclaycard? I need my statements.

theyre separate claims yeah, and you can do it for a credit card

ARGH!

I just rang barclaycard and they want to charge me £3 for EACH statement over 6 months old.

RIP OFF!

Sassyminx said:
Jayceesmumma said:
Definitly going to try this..do i write the letter to my branch? Im with Nationwide.
Ive had at least £60 worth of charges a month for nearly 3 years now, so i could claim back a nice lil bundle! Im scared of doing it incase i loose and they charge me or something!! Plus i dont want to close my accounts there, i have 4 lol! One includes Jaycees trust fund
Can someone help me? :oops:

send the letter to your local branch, theyll forward it to the relevant department

i was claiming for £1485 from a 2yr period, think of how many charges that was :shock:

and you will NEVER lose so dont worry about that, they arent likely to close your account, barclays didnt with me, neither did they take my overdraft off me or ask me to repay my loan, dont forget its the bank who is in the wrong not you :wave:

it works with any account, bank account or building society, or credit card, check on the consumer action site to check though, its worth the hassle believe me :cheer:

Thanks hun! Ill defo look into it!! Can do with the money! £30 for going over by £1.09 is ridiculous!

I just went into my local branch and asked for the 6 years worth of statements, I did lie about the reason though :lol:

urchin said:
ARGH!

I just rang barclaycard and they want to charge me £3 for EACH statement over 6 months old.

RIP OFF!

now ring them back and say the statutory amount for any number of statements is £10 and say why are they trying to charge so much?

theyll try anything that bloody bank :twisted:

Sassyminx said:
urchin said:
ARGH!

RIP OFF!

now ring them back and say the statutory amount for any number of statements is £10 and say why are they trying to charge so much?

I did say that on the phone but they weren't having it.

Maybe this is the first step the banks are taking to try and stop people from claiming back the money?

urchin said:
Sassyminx said:
urchin said:
ARGH!

RIP OFF!

I did say that on the phone but they weren't having it.

Maybe this is the first step the banks are taking to try and stop people from claiming back the money?

theyre bloody idiots, im not sure if the same applies for credit card statements, but the statutory amount for normal bank statements is definitely £10, try the consumeractiongroup.co.uk and ask on there, i dont know what else you can say about it

and they cant stop people from claiming the money back, theyre the ones breaking the law not the customers :wave:

Urchin, can you not just register for online banking then all your statements might be on there and you can just go through and print off the pages that show charges rather than paying for all those paper ones? :think:

OH only registered for internet banking a month ago but when he logged in he could see every statement dating back to 2002 :)

EDIT: Just realised its a credit card you need them for and not a bank account so my suggestion is pointless :lol: :oops:

I looked on the CAG website and the barclaycard forum is FULL of people screaming about this.

Apparently it's because the records are on microfilm (probably bulls**t) and theirefore they do not come under the Data Protection Act.

I will have a think, they seem to be really making people work hard to get their money back and I just don't know if I've got the time or the energy.

Will keep you posted.

Thank you so much for this information, my partner has been charged a great sum in bank charges so im really hoping we can get some of it back

alschafr said:
Thank you so much for this information, my partner has been charged a great sum in bank charges so im really hoping we can get some of it back

glad to be of help, hope you get what you want like i did :wave:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back