Family line and ideas?

fynemum

Reaction score
With my first child my husbands family were really upset that we broke the family line of Edwards for the first born , this went through generations more than i can count. I put in in his middle name but don't use it.
Number 2 boy's name was easy. no complaints
NOW I have a new partner of 5 years. Due next year and the decission has been made if it's a boy....DUNCAN...after his dad......Dunky he gets.
He too is the last of a long long line of Duncan's in his family and wishes to keep the name going :roll: Do you think this is TOO old fashioned for a baby? :think: oh no girls names planned yet... surname Connell...so any ideas? Thanks guys :hug:

I know 2 Duncans (one is Duncan, the other is Dunc), and both are in their twenties and have Scottish lineage.

I personally think it is a great name, and not old fashioned at all. I'm all for carrying on family traditions as well. All the women in Kayleigh's dads family have Marie as the middle name (her half-sister is Kirsty Marie, Auntie is Lisa Marie, etc).

The Dads name always gets passed to the firstborn son as the middle name in DH's family, so Charlie is Charles Stuart, DH is Stuart David, FIL is David Charles - get the picture?

I broke the family line of boys middle names wait for it its wortley :shock: why would i want to call my son kai wortley! my bro is stuart wortley an hates it! lol!
I actually like the name duncan though!

Duncan is fab name! :D

Not old-fashioned at all (from the woman who called her son STANLEY! hee hee :D )

:rotfl: :rotfl: Laughing at Sophie :rotfl: I think i would have broke that chain too doll.... but each to their own.... thank you for reply.

Really :rotfl: @ Minxy...as i read your "old names" post which is why i posted mine..... and when i saw your ticker saying Stanley* i thought good for you! I like Stanley as a name...... I know Duncan is an old scottish name and I do quite like it but i was worried it might sound like a Mavis or Doris type name? you know a really old unfashionable name? Sorry to all Mavis and Doris people is offence caused :oops: :wink:

Thanks Tankett, Yes i have hear people being called Dunc too, thats not too bad, My oldest boy is Lewis and will not let people call him Lew, But Connor, his friends call him Condo! ! eek I guess you never know what their nick name might end up... he loves it!

:wall:

Just reviving an old link, my DH is greek and the tradition is to name the 1st born child after the grandparents, this means that you could end up with all the 1st cousins having the same name!!! I dont agree with this and my sis-in-law has a daughter that is already named after my mum-in-law and my DH has said that if we have a girl he wants to call it after his mum which mean both cousins having the same name!!! I have said no :shakehead: and it's not gone down too well, also the name has to be 'orthodox' so we cant call it after my mum.
If we have a boy there's no prob as we can call it after either grandad.

any suggestions or has anyone else had same sort of prob?

:?

any suggestions or has anyone else had same sort of prob?

Didn't have the same prob but told DH I would just ask when i was in labour if he didn't agree :rotfl:

:shock: sorry tuck, I have the same prob... My DP has a brother who called his son Duncan after the father.... Now my Duncan and I are TTC again he wants to call our son (if we have one) Duncan......so you see two full cousins and the same name.... Me i don't like this too much either... but i do like the name and my OH would love it..not to mention is insistant on it.. :rotfl:
What about trying a combination of the names? is that posible? would it sound nice? what it be a viable suggestion?
What about checking back the family line.... see if there is another option..honour someone else maybe?
I hope you get on ok... i would love to know what your solution will be.. please keep me posted.. thank you and good luck doll, Lv yvonne xx :hug:

fynemum good morning :wave:

I've suggested my grandmothers name which is a Irene, which isn't my favourite but 1)it's a family name and 2)it would really please my dad, BUT as my hubby is the oldest he wants to follow tradition so we're not getting anywhere at mo, my sister is also married to a greek man (true) and her mum-in-law has the same name as mine and my niece already has 3 cousins called the same name so if I give in she'll have 4. it's a nice tradition but think it should only follow with 1 child in 'family' not all!!! I think we'll give it a rest for a few weeks, there's some lovely greek names that I would love to choose but my family have said it's gotta to be something they can pronounce!!!!! :lol:

Good luck to you and i'll keep you posted.

fynemum said:
With my first child my husbands family were really upset that we broke the family line of Edwards for the first born , this went through generations more than i can count. I put in in his middle name but don't use it.
Number 2 boy's name was easy. no complaints
NOW I have a new partner of 5 years. Due next year and the decission has been made if it's a boy....DUNCAN...after his dad......Dunky he gets.
He too is the last of a long long line of Duncan's in his family and wishes to keep the name going :roll: Do you think this is TOO old fashioned for a baby? :think: oh no girls names planned yet... surname Connell...so any ideas? Thanks guys :hug:

i personally wouldnt honour the family name unless i really liked it, its upto you i guess but i personally dont like the name, but its your choice, it is a bit old fashioned,

tuck said:
there's some lovely greek names that I would love to choose but my family have said it's gotta to be something they can pronounce!!!!! :lol: color]

Honestly :roll: tell them all to butt out - it's between you and the baby's father! I think it's hard enough to decide on a name without 15 various family members putting their two-penneth in!

I have a similar problem with my DH's family boy's name. His mother bucked the trend (good for her I say) and now my DH wants us to bring it back on track! It's so confusing having all the men in the family called the same thing. They all end up with crap nicknames anyway, so what's the point? Might as well choose an individual name that belongs to your child that doesn't need to be nicknamed!

On her deathbed my OH's nan made what MIL called a "small request"
She asked that when the baby was born ( I was about 7 months) we find room for the name Graham for a boy or Catherine for a girl.

We'd already decided the middle name, boy of girl, would be Koh (this is the Island where the baby was concieved, where we'd lived and worked for 6 months.)

Now, looking at the name choices we've made since, you can tell that I prefer something a little more modern and unusual. Luckily for me OH had settled down a bit since her death and did not push for the name Graham to be put in Mason's name. Phew.

When MIL noticed and asked me about it I lied and said my nan had also asked about putting my dead grandad's name in so we figured as we couldn't make everyone happy we'd rather leave everyone's name out of it entirely.

Saying all that...it's your choice, if you like the name Duncan, that's all that matters. If you don't it's tough.

update: thought I'd persuaded DH on the girls name as had found two that I liked that although are 'greek' werent too greek sounding, then today he drops into conversation with MIL that he wants to call baby Costadina after a dead uncle!!!! :shakehead: :wall: :wall: Talks are now beginning again about girls names!!!!!!!! :think:

:rotfl: Just wait until the little bundle of joy is born.... one look at him/her and you'll both just know what the name should be....if not? ? :wall: :roll: :roll: erm well...how long before you need to register the birth??? :rotfl: It is soooo hard doing the right thing sometimes... I wish you well and as long as she/he is healthy and happy the families will be happy with your choice..... No blinkin option :lol: :shock: your baby :wink:

Now all I need to do is get PG again with lost of sticky baby dust to carry through....and I'll have this problem all over again.... :dance: :cheer: :rotfl: Lv Yvonne xx :hug:

I think the name Duncan is lovely..all the old names are coming back now anyway :D..we too have to follow a line of Alans, the line goes one has it as a middle name, the next as a first name so on and so forth.....

Which I dont mind too much as long as i could put my grandads name in there somewhere (harry)....so i just gave jay 2 middle names :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back