Family names

mum2A&L

Reaction score
Isn't in strange how times have changed!

OH is currently doing part of his family tree, and i have lost count of the thomas's, Sage's and Robert's there are going back (he has got as far back as 1666 at the moment). Its almost 80% of the cases where the first born was named after their parents! Treharn is a surname going back in his tree and there are even people with that being used as a first name so it doesn't 'die out'. There are some fantastic names though - one couple (Oh's grandparents 5 times over or something),

Alice is called Alice becuase i liked the name. I added rose and bronwen in because rose is my mums middle name and my nans first name. Bronwen is OH's nans name (who died when alice was a few weeks old). Turns out, my great great gran was called alice, and there are about 5 Alices in OH's family!!

Benjamin was already on my short list for names, and it turns out there are LOADS of them in OH's family tree!

There was me thinking i didn't really follow family traditions when it came to first names!!!

Has anyone else named their children after family members?

OH named Angel. He chose Ellen as her surname coz his Auntie, Gladys Ellen, died a couple of weeks before she was born.
I'd love to do a family tree! It'd be so interesting.

My DD (Ella) is named after my mum's mum's mum (my great granny). She was only 16 when she gave birth to my granny in 1919 and had to give her up (we don't know the full story). My granny died when I was 12 weeks pregnant so Ella is named after her real mum (which she would have been really touched by).

Ella's middle name is Summer - I had a really vivid dream when I was pregnant that I gave birth to a baby girl called Summer, then it really went with her first name, so her two first names are Ella Summer.

I like using family names. My FIL is called Crawford (first name) so I'd love to use that in a boy's name - probably as a middle name though.

Valentine Xxx

LisaJ1986 said:
I'd love to do a family tree! It'd be so interesting.

Its fascinating! he hasn't looked into his mums dad side at all as he was polish and we would need to travel out there to really get any where with it.

He has only been doing it a few days properly. His mum has their old family bible which is where he got most of his starting info from. We knew his family on that side where welsh, but they have moved all kinda places, Germany, Australia, new Zealand, just to name a few. One of the females in the family lived to over 90 (she was born mid 1700 as well!!). One was a farmer of 48 acres. another was high up in the army. Is fascinating!!

and we haven't paid a penny yet - we are using a free trial option on one of the many geneology websites!

we are having real problems tracing anyone on his nans mum side!

My middle name is Patricia after my mum and Pips middle name will be Patricia too (and Bernadette) Mums name is a running familly name too she was named after one of my nans sisters. Her first name will be after my grampys girlfriend :D both of my nan and grampys died when I was little so shes like my nanny.

If Pip does turn out a boy then his middle names will be Joseph Percival after mine and my OHs Dad.

I've been doing my (and my OH's) family trees since my last maternity leave. It really is fascinating and we've come across some interesting names but not much inspiration for baby names.

We've chosen James as a middle name for a boy as it is a strong name in my dad's line (his dad, grandad and great-grandad all had James as part of their name) and it's also the name of my OH's grandad and great grandad.

If anyone wants to peak for inspiration my tree is on my site (living people hidden) http://www.nryonline.co.uk/phpgedview

My eldest son is named Joseph Nathaniel after his dad, and his dad, and his dad going back I think 5 generations!? :think:
Theres also Dillon James, James is his uncles name and his great uncles name!

Should Horatio turn out to be a boy he'll have a middle name based on his father's name. My bloke's middlename is his father's first name, and his father's middle name is his grandfather's first name. I think it's a nice little tradition. We don't have anything similar if she turns out to be a girl, though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back