Evening primrose oil capsules

Really not trying to scare anyone, but I found the pdf of the study again. I'm taking the epo myself, but not on a high dose anyway! I'm sure the bad effects were more likely in people that really went over the top on the capsules. I'll copy paste the relevant bit...

Evening Primrose Oil
Midwives reportedly use evening primrose oil to expedite cervical ripening, in an attempt to shorten labour and reduce the incidence of postdate pregnancies (29). One study compared outcomes in 54 women who took evening primrose oil orally from week 37 of pregnancy with those in 54 women who did not. No difference in the overall length of labour was found between groups. Further, it was concluded that women taking evening primrose oil might be more likely to experience prolonged rupture of membranes, oxytocin augmentation, arrest of descent and vacuum extraction (29).

One report was found of ecchymoses and petechiae on the trunk, extremities and face of a female baby, aged 17 hours. The infant had no other symptoms. In the week before delivery her mother had taken raspberry leaf tea and a total of thirteen 500mg capsules of evening primrose oil, vaginally and orally, in an attempt to improve labour. The authors suggested that the evening primrose oil had inhibited platelet function in the newborn infant. The platelet count was reported as normal in the infant and her symptoms resolved spontaneously by day 5 (30).

Mmm not seen or heard of this. Il stick to one tab a day ad there strong anyway. Don't want to cause me or baby problems. X

I'm sure it's fine so long as it's not too much! I only did the research as I asked two mws about epo, one wasn't sure on when and how much to take and the other had never heard of it for pregnancy and asked me what it was meant to do lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back