Epidural injection..I'm scared

nickilubs

Reaction score
The thought of this really makes me cringe the thought of having a injection in my spine. I'm more scared of this than giving birth itself!!!! I don't mind normal injections at all or blood being taken and its not the pain of one I'm scared of but I'm genuinely scared of the thought of being injected there. Am I the only one? I know I don't have to have one but if I needed too then I would be really scared,,,,I sound stooopid!

I'm totally with you on this one! Just the thought of it makes me totally cringe, but more than that I also don't really agree with them when most of the time they are unnecessary. I never wanted one with my first pregnancy and hope I don't have to this time unless needing a c/s for medical reasons - I think that's the only way they're gonna get a needle in my back!

I agree it's a scary concept! I'm opting for a homebirth but even if i end up in hospital im hoping to do without. I guess maybe if the pain was too bad then the prospect of the needle in the back mightn't be so awful!

:hug: :hug: Let's hope we can all do without one!

p.s. my sister swears by them and reckons they are a godsend! lol

When you're in labour and if you want one the last thing you'll be thinking about is the needle, trust me :lol:

i just don't like the idea of not being in control of my body :(

hoping to avoid having one.. :(

Strangeness said:
When you're in labour and if you want one the last thing you'll be thinking about is the needle, trust me :lol:

This is exactly what I was going to say! I've been told by lots of people who were totally against having any sort of pain killer and they told me they were begging for anything to take it away so doubt you'll be worried about the needle! Hopefully we'll have really easy births and won't even need to worry about it. :pray: :pray: :pray:

I went into labour totally blind last time and said I didn't want any pain relief apart from gas and air. I had everything but gas and air in the end :lol: If they had asked if I wanted to be put down when I was in labour I would have said yes haha.

I totally agree, I am terrified of an epidural, just imagine the consequences if they did it wrong :?

I have already told them at my hospital that i don't give consent to one for pain relief. I will consent if it is an absolute emergency and i need a caesarian, but even then i would rather be knowcked out!!

Im dead against epidurals too.
On my birth plan for my previous 2 boys I put an order of preference for pain relief and stated on the birth plan its an order of preference and the MW's were fantastic in making sure it got adhered to, both times.
I even stated that if i needed a Section for whatever reason, I wanted a General Anaesthetic.

This time though, Im having a section and I dont actually want a General. I want to see my baby as it's born. That's more important to me than my fear. :D

I've got a bit of a 'thing' about them, not a fear aas such but I would like to avoid one at all costs. The thought of an injection in my spine really freaks me out.

Alex xxx

I dont want one but im not scared of them either, i'm really good with needles and stuff so it doesnt bother me at all, thinking aobut it now i'll take it if i decide i need it. I know some people are funny about things like that, and judging from posts im in the minority lol

ASD123456 said:
I've got a bit of a 'thing' about them, not a fear aas such but I would like to avoid one at all costs. The thought of an injection in my spine really freaks me out.

Alex xxx

Me too. I'm a nurse and not a lot freaks me out but there's just something about spines that makes me go all funny.

Although saying that, I had one 10 years ago when I had my son. Feeling queasy about what was actually happening was the last thing on my mind. But it slowed my labour down, so I'm definately not having one this time.

A good book to read the pros and cons of epidurals is 'Hey, Who's Having This Baby Anyway' by Breck Hawk, it helps to empower you to make the decisions that you want to make in labour.

It does make me cringe a little but I'm being pretty open minded about it at the moment, though I did see a tragic story of one going wrong on the new, but I'm sure that's pretty rare.

The other thing about them that came up at my MW appt was the fact I have had arthritis in my hips since I was 14, and if I was to have one and they pop my hip it could mean a lot of pain and a few days not being able to walk properly after! x

I'm absolutely the same, I can do needles and blood and stuff, but a needle in the spine? I don't like the idea of not feeling my legs, I'd be worried I'd never feel them again!! I want to be able to keep mobile, but then, I'm not very good with pain either :/

Please, please try not to worry about the needle, you're given a local and you honestly don't feel anything, trust me. I had an epidural with my first labour and the only thing I was worried about was the fact that I wasn't allowed to get up and walk around, not the needle. Read up as much as you can so that you feel confident and informed but please don't worry about this - you really don't need to. I find giving blood samples at my midwife appointments more distressing!

Hi,

I'm with strangeness!! I hate needles but I had to have an epidural in my first labour but by that time, after 3 days of labour, it was the last thing on my mind!!! I vaguely remember them telling me to keep very still at one point which was pretty difficult given the contractions but I don't remember feeling any pain.

I did feel a huge relief though when, all of a sudden, all the pain was gone!!! Wouldn't opt for another unless I really had to though as I'm sure it slowed down my contractions!

I agree, cant stand the thought of having a needle injected into my spine and the thought of suffering from back ache afterwards for up to 6 months as well really puts me off. :shakehead: nope definitely not for me, natural all the way.

I had an epidural and was surprised to find it didn't hurt at all! Mind you I was in the middle of some pretty hefty contractions at the time, lol. :lol:

It was one of many things I didn't want for Isaac's birth, but I ended up with an epidural and the worst part of it was being told to keep still, when you're having contraction upon contraction that's really a hard thing to do :shock:
If you have gotten to a stage where you've asked for an epidural, you really will not be thinking of needle phobia's or how much it makes you cringe, because when in labour you do what makes you feel comfortable, not what you thought you'd do before hand.
I really do not wish to have one this time around, mainly because of the lack of feeling and mobility because of it, not because of any pain it came with. It worries me because of the after effects from it, the injection itself is nothing in the moment.
In the end YOU get to decide whether or not you have one, so you should feel comfort in that, no-one can make you have it :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back