Anti D injection?

JoAnn&Aimee

Reaction score
I got a letter from the hospital with the results from my blood tests I got done. My blood group is Rhesus D Negative so I've been told I'll need to get an 'anti D' injection at week 28 and week 34. Although I read the information leaflet they sent I still don't really understand what it is all about. Is my blood group rare? I'm so confused over it and slightly worried as they mentioned the baby could get HDN (hemolytic disease of the newborn). Has anyone had to get this injection?

I haven't had it yet but I will do as I have negative blood. It's not usually an issue with a first pregnancy, and isn't a problem at all if the baby has Negative blood also. If you google it there are some pretty good sites explaining it in full detail.

My mother and grandmother both have negative blood and have both had healthy pregnancys. I've read that it is very rarely a problem and when I talked to my doctor about it she seemed very un-concerned.

Alex xxx

I'm O neg and have done lots of investigating! There's a good explanation here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_doc ... esus.shtml. 15% of the population are Rhesus neg.

When I was talking to the midwife about it all she could talk about after my questions were answered was getting me to donate blood because O negative blood can be given to anyone. When I'm allowed to donate after LO is born I will.. has given me food for thought!

I had my anti-D 3 weeks ago and it's nothing to worry about at all. Was asked if I wanted it in bum or arm so opted for what was easiest. Was more in line with my hip bone than anything else and it didn't hurt for me at all. Maybe that says more about my bum...

Hey,

I'm Rhesus negative too and it's very unlikely to cause any problems. I've had anti-D after each of my losses and will also have it at 28 weeks (and 34?) for this pregnancy. They give it because otherwise your blood may mix with the baby's, who is probably positive, and your blood cells may attack the baby's, seeing the different blood type as something foreign.

If your OH is negative too then you don't even need the injections, as two negative parents = negative baby and therefore no conflict of blood types. xx

The positive or negative refers to whether you have a protein on the outside of your blood cells or not... If you are negative and the baby positive, and if you have any mixing of blood between yours and your baby's then you may develop an immune response against the baby's blood... not normally a problem with the first born/pregnancy but can cause problems in subsequent pregnancies...

as mandspice said if your partner if negative then you don't need the anti-D (and may not even if positive as the baby can still be negative but then it's best to make sure). I am A negative and I am getting my partner to find out his blood group so if he is negative then I won't have injections I don't need... (although I have already had it after the MC)

J
XX

Im Rhesus negative, i have my Anti D booked for March 10th :?

OOh I didn't realise all of this. It doesn't make any difference to me as I'm AB+ but the midwife did mention it before my bloods were back (though I already knew my blood group).

O negative blood is great to donate and everyone can recieve it whereas otherwise blood groups have to be closely matched. My blood group rare-ish. i've given blood every 4 months since I turned 17 (except for now obviously) and I would reccomend everyone do it when they can as it's such an easy way to help!! xxx

I'm B negative so will be needing the injection too. I was a little worried at first but the girl's on here explained it to me and it's nothing to worry about :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back