Ectopic Pregnancy

imadad

Reaction score
:wall:

Hello everyone. I have to say that this is a great website / message forum and I'm hoping someone out there can help me.

My wife and I recently suffered an ectopic pregnancy at about 6 weeks. My wife had to undergo surgery and had one of her Fallopian Tubes removed. The :? other tube, thankfully, was seen to be healthy.

We are gradually coming to terms with this but are confused about something. The surgeon told us that removing the tube has reduced our chances of another pregnancy by about 15 %. At the time, understandably, we didn't really take this in but are now wondering why it's 15%. Surely if one of the tubes has been removed then the chances reduce by 50%? Is it the case that we will only have a chance every other month if there is only now one tube for an egg to travel, even if there are still 2 overies?
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. We're not stupid people, and have read as many stories of people getting pregnant 6 weeks after surgery as we have people who still haven't got pregnant after 6 years! We just want to know if there is a possibility of "making a baby" every month or every other month.

Can anybody help? :?

didnt want to read and run :hug: :hug:
hope someone is able to help you with your questions.
good luck :hug:

I'm not up to date on the percentages but it is more than half as likely because...

1) the ovaries do not alternate like clockwork
2) an egg can travel to the other tube - they aren't attached to the ovary complelety but the tubes have fimbriae (finger like strands) the encourage the egg to go down the tube.

if your wife does get pregnant she needs to tell her gp early as there is an increased risk of another ectopic.

Good luck, hope it happens for you soon :) :hug:

hi there

I agree with what smile has said, when we had our ectopic pregnancy I too lost a tube and thought my chances had gone to only 50%, but was reassured by the GP's that this was not the case and was also worried about my age I am 32 almost 33.

We were advised to wait 2 cycles before trying again it just gives your body time to recover and if it takes longer then go with what makes you feel comfortable.

Like Smile says go straight to GP the moment you find out and they should scan you to make sure baby is in the right place.

I wish you the best of luck when you TTC again
kathy

I'm so sorry for your loss :hug:
I also suffered an ectopic at 6 weeks. I was reassured that its not a case of ovaries alternating but simply that an egg is released every month. It will take whichever route is available its just a case now of it being a one way system. I strongly suggest you take a look at the Ectopic Help Forum which is online. I found it incredibly informative and reassuring.

:hug: :hug: for the loss.

Its consideren 15% because the healty tube takes over and can produce 1 egg every month. This is what I understood when it happenend to me about 2 years ago. (altho they did not have to remove my tube in the end, i did get the whole things explained as there was a risk they had to)

Good luck with getting pregnant again :hug:

everyone has said pretty much exactly what i was told by doctors... i've tried to detach myself from thinking i "only have one tube" and just forget about it for the most part. If i don't i get too bogged down with it all and panic that I'll struggle.
good luck getting pregnant :)
x

i dont think that was a daft question, i though it would be 50% too. And i didnt know they didnt alternate every month.

Im very sorry for your loss and I hope you and your wife are okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back