Early scans question (5-6weeks)

Jen79

Reaction score
Hi :)

I had a scan today because of pain in my right hand side, the scan ruled out an ectopic which was a relief but I still dont feel like my mind has been put completely at ease. I thought I was approx 6 weeks based on my lmp but on the scan there was a 7.3mm sac, a yolk sac but no fetal pole. The sonographer said I was between 5 and a half and 6 weeks and it was normal not to see baby at this stage. Anyone had a similar experience?

I think, recalling past threads, yes a fair number of women have found themselves to not be as far on as they thought.

You have not had bleeding or pains, thats always a good sign.

The scan so far has ruled out ectopic and the cause of the pain in your right side :) There is really not much else to be done or see at such an early stage.

Lots of us had pains in first tri. Often they are ligament pains where things are stretching. Sometimes there is another cause, but as ectopic has been ruled out I'd try to relax a little.

i thought i was 7 weeks gone when i had bleeding with my youngest. had a scan and i was only about 5 1/2 to 6 weeks, they only saw the sac with me though.
i went back a week later and saw an empty sac (the lost twin), and the baby which turned into my 7 month old!

Hi there hun, sorry to butt in from 3rd tri but just wanted to say please try not to worry, i had a scan at 6 weeks, i've just looked through my notes and it says Gestational sac present - 10 mm, yolk sac present, embryo present -crown-rump length 2.5 mm. The sonographer could obviously see something as she managed to measure it but 2.5mm is very very tiny and even looking at the picture i got i cant see anything at all! It sounds like you are just closer to 5 weeks than 6 so baby is still too tiny to see at the mo.....have you got an appointment for a re-scan?
Take care (sorry again about the butting in :oops: )
:hug: :hug: xx

Hi,

I can understand how you must be worried. But it varies so much from woman to woman what you can see at the same stage. It does sound right what they said.

Will they offer you another scan in a week or so?

I had an early scan with my son at approx 6.5 weeks. We saw the embryo, yolk sac and a heartbeat.

Every day makes a huge difference in what you see at this early stage.

Hope you get another scan to put your mind at ease but it does all sound positive to me. :hug:

im also butting in from 3rd tri, just to let u know i had the exact same thing. i was soo convinced some thing was wrong they brought me back for another scan 2 weeks later and i was still measuring the same amount of weeks, but this time baby had heart beat etc so i felt alot better.

We had a 5wk 5day scan with Isaac, called him a smudge and a flicker, as that's all we saw, a smudge, that flickered, that flicker being his heartbeat :D Very best wishes, if they said all is well, all is well so keep positive, its sounds fine :hug:

I had a scan at 5 weeks 2 days and all they saw was the pregnancy sac. I went back at 6 weeks 6 days and they saw everything including a heartbeat. I was really worried after my first scan and I did a lot of research. Most of what I read said that between 5.5-6.5 weeks is when they can usually see something. I also read that every baby grows at different rates so try not to worry.

Thanks for all the replies, I feel a bit more reassured now.

I have a follow up scan in just under two weeks time so hopefully I will see a bit more by then!

I have been having trouble with my scans too...I went back for one at what I thought was 9 weeks, but they didnt see anything apart from a sac which had grown, and they thought I was infact only 7 weeks...I have another scan a week on monday.

im in exactly the same place as you just now, i had a scan today and they seen a sack which measured 5wks2days the pole or heart beat wasnt seen but i was told it wasn't expected to see any more at this stage and that a week can make a huge difference, i have to go back next week. but it doesnt stop you worrying, on my scan she told me she has to write inconclusive she said not to pay any attention to it :roll: but how can you not, this is going to be the longest week of my life.

When have you to go back? i was told if i wasn't doing the trail she would normally say 2 weeks .

Yeah she said 2 weeks for the follow up. I wish it was only a week though as I am so impatient! I actually rang a hospital that does private scans to see if I could pay for one next week but they said they werent keen on doing them before 8 weeks. Eh?! Babydust: did you see the measurement for the sac? Mine was only 7.3mm you see which would put me at 5 weeks 2 days according to stuff I have looked at. But she said I was between five and a half and 6 weeks. Doesnt make sense! Did they see a yolk sac in yours? They did in mine so I thought that maybe that was why she said I was over 5 and a half? I think having access to too much info on the internet is not always a good thing but I cant stop myself looking. :x

no, she didnt see anything just the gestational sack which was 5 weeks 2 days i dont know what it measured, she said not to worry and that the white ring round about the sack was nice and thick, whatever that means. I just feel completly numb, i knew they wouldnt see anything today but im still worried.
fingers crossed for us both.

you could always tell a white lie and book a private scan and say you think you are 8 weeks, obviously they will find out during the scan, but by then the scan would have been done, but tbh i dont recommend going earlier they say 2 weeks as by then you will have an answer either way because i was told that they might not be able to see anything next week either but by the following week there should be something there.

Yes I am just counting down the days till the 5th of Feb now. I think that you are right in saying that in a few days time the scan might not be any more conclusive so based on that I am not going to waste my money or stress myself out about it. Its just in our nature to worry a bit though isnt it?

Take care x

Lianatoot said:
I have been having trouble with my scans too...I went back for one at what I thought was 9 weeks, but they didnt see anything apart from a sac which had grown, and they thought I was infact only 7 weeks...I have another scan a week on monday.

i suppose thats the downside of having early scans, sometimes it makes us worry more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back