Dyslexia

leanne1b

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone had a young child diagnosed as dyslexic? Or do you know anything about symptoms?
My daughter is 4 and a half and has always been quite bright/advanced (ie, first words with meaning at 6 months, saying Hiya and waving when someone walks in a room, walking at 9 months, full 6-7 word sentences just before 2, can count up to about 200, has a good grasp of adding, subtraction simple things, can write quite well etc etc) but I'm starting to notice certain things. She always confuses p, q,d and b. Writes 3 backwards most of the time. Often seems to try to sounds words out backwards, sometimes writes backwards (she is left handed though) and I duno, a few other things but I can't remember.
Is this all normal, or should I keep an eye on it? Xx

i would talk to the school they will have appropriate advice x

Thanks hun. She's not at school til september ( her birthday was November) but i think I'll mention it to her nursery just to check it's all okay because I heard the younger they know, the better
Xx

How is she with reading aloud hun? Sounding words out etc x

Erm... Bit of an odd one. She nearly always starts from the end. But if you ask herthe sound of a letter, she knows it... But confuses a and e all the time? Some things she knows easily, ie can read write her name fine.. But was writin her name backwards .. Well, actually mirror writing for a while.
But then things like, yesterday I was talking to oh about a girl in her nursery, I didn't want her to know who so I spent out the name, an she turned around and said oh your talking about "x", I was just like, how did you know that? She said "well u Spelt it". Okay so you can understand a 5 letter name (and not an easy one) but get confused was smaller random words?! X

I'm not too sure hun.. My friend is dyslexic and she finds it difficult to read and if she's reading from something she will pronounce the word exactly how it's spelt iykwim?

There is a programme with Kara Tointon that I watched a while ago, she is dyslexic and it's about how she copes and also shows other kids in school that are taught a different way that makes it so much easier for them, might be worth a watch to see if you can pick some things out from it xx

Phils dyslexic and. Tbh I think you really have to fight to get it checked but I think basically they do all sorts of psychometric tests which might be another reason its difficult to test on young children but phil sounded the same as your daughter!! But obvs I wasn't there!!! He had to retake a test a couple of years ago for uni stuff and he had to do loads of prob solving verbal reasoning, logical testing, pateerns test etc and they then found out what sort of dyslexia he had, in terms of if he needed extra help reading or writing in exams etc.......... X

Yeah that's my feeling about it. I took her to the library after nursery to get some books. We read with her every night, and it might sound ridiculous, but I'd be so upset if she struggled to read because I really LOVED books growing up and so does she. I just took it for granted?
I asked her nursery... They just said a lot of kids do it. Which I'm sure they do, but I know they don't sit them down individually and go through letters and writing etc, so how would they know really?
I did hear of the programme. Think I'll be searching the net tonight!!!
Thanks for ur replies. I only know 1 person with dyslexia and he was diagnosed at Uni too. It's ridiculous!! Xx

Well phil got diagnosed at about 8 ish I think but when he came to uni he had to have tests so that he could register disabled and get entitled to things he should do like special coloured writing paper so that he can read easier, computers in exams, special laptops that have software that ctalks any texts you read, the ability to use dictaphones in lectures etc x phils handwriting is horrendous, as is his spelling and speed of writing and reading times however he can still do it and he's beyond intelligent!! But he's a big success (sorry blowing his trumpet) but you know if she is dyslexic its not ness the end of the world and it is better to find out now cos you can do everything to help her, let teachers understand etc exactly what she needs extra help with and so that you could ensure she doesn't feel stupid when she might not be able to do things as quickly as other people as, as we know its not stupidity .....but phil said he found it hossible at first cos all the kids were doing 3 stage up books and he couldn't or they were getting through 3 books a week and he struggled with 1 etc.....

Deffo get it checked out its worth it! X

Im not sure what age, if any mirror writing and letter reversal is normal or a sign of dyslexia. Be careful when you google as there are different subtypes of dyslexia so not everyones symptoms are the same and dont necessarily need the same treatment. If you want to go private, google the dore centre, its pretty contraversial whether it realy works or not scientifically but parents seem to rave about it.

Thanks you two. I'll look it up tiny, coz were broke and def can't afford private, but hopefully ill find something that will give me the kind of basics it uses? X

hmm its a bit odd to be honest. Its not work on reading and writing its like, loads of different movement/balance exercises that are supposed to help rewire the brain. I dont know enough about it to say whether its a good idea or not. I don't think Id pay for it unless I was getting desparate for help but if it was free Id definately give it a go, cos it cant do any harm IYSWIM. Its worth a peek if they do sponsored places for means tested.

If you want her to just have a more 'normal' test for free, you need to ring your local county council and ask to speak to the educational psychology dept. They do testing on preschoolers, usually more on kids who might need to go to special school etc.. so not really the same thing as your daughter at all but they'd be able to give you some advice at least!

I just found this on a website, it might be helpful to think about which ones sound like her before you ring up

1. Persisting factors.

There are many persisting factors in dyslexia, which can appear from an early age. They will still be noticeable when the dyslexic child leaves school.
These include:
  • Obvious 'good' and 'bad' days, for no apparent reason,
  • Confusion between directional words, e.g. up/down, in/out,
  • Difficulty with sequence, e.g. coloured bead sequence, later with days of the week or numbers,
A family history of dyslexia/reading difficulties.
2. Pre-school.

• Has persistent jumbled phrases, e.g. 'cobbler's club' for 'toddler's club'
  • Use of substitute words e.g. 'lampshade' for 'lamppost'.
  • Inability to remember the label for known objects, e.g. 'table, chair'.
  • Difficulty learning nursery rhymes and rhyming words, e.g. 'cat, mat, sat'.
  • Later than expected speech development.
Pre-School Non-language indicators.
  • May have walked early but did not crawl - was a 'bottom shuffler' or 'tummy wriggler'.
  • Persistent difficulties in getting dressed efficiently and putting shoes on the correct feet.
  • Enjoys being read to but shows no interest in letters or words.
  • Is often accused of not listening or paying attention.
  • Excessive tripping, bumping into things and falling over.
  • Difficulty with catching, kicking or throwing a ball; with hopping and/or skipping.
  • Difficulty with clapping a simple rhythm.
http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/page...n-signs-of-dyslexia/common-signs-children.php

[/LIST]Pre-School Non-language indicators.
  • May have walked early but did not crawl - was a 'bottom shuffler' or 'tummy wriggler'.
  • Persistent difficulties in getting dressed efficiently and putting shoes on the correct feet.
  • Enjoys being read to but shows no interest in letters or words.
  • Is often accused of not listening or paying attention.
  • Excessive tripping, bumping into things and falling over.
  • Difficulty with catching, kicking or throwing a ball; with hopping and/or skipping.
  • Difficulty with clapping a simple rhythm.
http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/page...n-signs-of-dyslexia/common-signs-children.php

These are the main reasons why my friend (who like her sister too is dyslexic) is having her younger Daughter (6) tested and has her older Daughter (8) in extra Saturday classes.

Lxx

Monty is left handed and always did his letter backwards and would start writing at the left hand side of the page and go backwards so he would write his name like YTNOM I was really worried but his nursery teacher told me not to, now he is in year 1 and never dose anything like that anymore if fact he is top of the class his handwriting isn't the best but my dad is left handed and his is still terrible.

Im Dyslexic and have never seen or wrote letters backwards but I know everyone is different for me I just couldn't understand how people could spell it just didnt come to me how Eva hard I tried I hated school cried every day of my life. A few if them things in that list I can see in me my family called me pansy potter when I was little cos I dropped everything. Me and my sister shared a room and she read to me every night I loved it but would never pick a book up myself. I still really struggle now sometimes even spell checker can't correct my spelling lol

Erm... Bit of an odd one. She nearly always starts from the end. But if you ask herthe sound of a letter, she knows it... But confuses a and e all the time? Some things she knows easily, ie can read write her name fine.. But was writin her name backwards .. Well, actually mirror writing for a while.
But then things like, yesterday I was talking to oh about a girl in her nursery, I didn't want her to know who so I spent out the name, an she turned around and said oh your talking about "x", I was just like, how did you know that? She said "well u Spelt it". Okay so you can understand a 5 letter name (and not an easy one) but get confused was smaller random words?! X

There's no way I could of spelt a 5 letter name at her age. I really think it to do with her being left-handed it the way they hold the pen monty was doing everything you say At her age

Hi hon,

As a primary school teacher I can tell you that absolutely loads of children write the numbers 3 and 5 and 7 the wrong way round when they are little and most of them are not dyslexic. Also so many children write letters in the wrong order even when they can spell out a word to you verbally. I really wouldn't worry at this stage, your LO is learning so much at the moment and at this stage is just practicing everything. If a child gets to around 7-8 (year 3) and is still doing it then more investigation would need to take place.

X

Lol itey to reply in the order I remember things.
Tiny thanks for all that, she does andew of the things, but not lots.
And that mixed with Annie and lanny (I rhyme!) makes me feel a bit better. Like lanny said, I wasn't sure if left handed had something to do with it, because we work our way across the page, and I guess it would make sense if she did too iykwim?
And thanks lanny.it's just frustrating because she LOVES books, but can't seem to grasp actual words.
I still have no idea how she knew the girls name from spelling...lol she can't remember how to spell her brothers name and it's only 4 letters! She's such an odd ball lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back