Dummy ur thoughts!

my eldest did finger suck for a while after rejecting the dummy but by 18 months she had stopped completely :)

I was debating using a dummy at one stage as Erica would sit and suck on her hands. I spoke to my doctor during her 6 week check up and he recommended using a Taggie. He said he used one and never looked back.

I decided to get one to try it and she loved it so much that I had to get a second one as when I put hers in the wash, she would cry for it. I don't use it at night yet as I am afraid she will put it over her face while she is asleep, she happily settles at night without it. I have to take it everywhere during the day as she will suck on it and play with it for hours on end and will even fall asleep hugging it.

Jack cuddles his muzzy (muslin) when he sleeps. They're like his comfort blankets. He's had them since birth. He shoves it in his mouth & over his face but always takes it off and cuddles it at night. We were worried about it at first but he's had no problems with them. This is him when he was 5 days old cuddling one x

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was debating using a dummy at one stage as Erica would sit and suck on her hands. I spoke to my doctor during her 6 week check up and he recommended using a Taggie. He said he used one and never looked back.

I decided to get one to try it and she loved it so much that I had to get a second one as when I put hers in the wash, she would cry for it. I don't use it at night yet as I am afraid she will put it over her face while she is asleep, she happily settles at night without it. I have to take it everywhere during the day as she will suck on it and play with it for hours on end and will even fall asleep hugging it.

Jack cuddles his muzzy (muslin) when he sleeps. They're like his comfort blankets. He's had them since birth. He shoves it in his mouth & over his face but always takes it off and cuddles it at night. We were worried about it at first but he's had no problems with them. This is him when he was 5 days old cuddling one x

Omg thats adorable!!!!! Bless him! Xxxx

I've tried Sophie with one when she really won't settle but I hate the way she looks sucking on one :( and she more often than not just spits it out

Thanks ladies, he loves his muzzy! More often than not there is one draped over my shoulder so he just grabs it and cuddles it! :) He does have about 30 of them though because he was sick alot over them in the early days! Now I just give him a fresh muzzy & a fresh dummy every morning

This was him last week - see how he keeps it off of his nose & face ...

Brody sucked on my OH's finger in the hospital and it literally stopped him from crying. Lol. I had dummies in my bag but didn't really want to use them. I was in longer than I expected and one night he was really upset and the only thing that would settle him was my finger. So I gave him one. I cried myself to sleep about it (was hormonal and maybe not all about the dummy!) but tbh now I'm easy with it. We don't give it to him all the time and he falls asleep without it. Most of the time, once he's settled it falls out. I justified it mostly because of the SIDS stuff.

xxxx

Attachments

• 400129_10150599552645791_537540790_11480136_1340908612_n.jpg
    400129_10150599552645791_537540790_11480136_1340908612_n.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 7
We used one a few times when H was new just because she wasn't hungry but needed something to settle in between feeds. She doesn't take it now unless she is very very upset so don't think it has done her any harm at all. I agree that you should keep it to settling down to sleep times etc and not just to keep quiet with as it does have an effect on speech development if they are trying to talk round one!

My Oh, his brother and sister all sucked their thumbs up until they were teens so I've given Wil one but he's not really interested.

Hey,
My Lo has never used/had a dummy. But he has a little comfort blanket (Toweling flannel). Which he has at night and during his day time naps. He loves it, he rubs it around his face and it sends him off to sleep xxxxx

Last edited:
Jaycee and lilyanna both sucky babies so they had them.. It's easier to get a dummy away than a thumb! If they want to suck they want something whether it be boob, bottle, hand, thumb or dummy! I've never known a case of nipple confusion (anyone feel free to correct me, I've not experienced it) they know when they are hungry and when they are full.. That's why babies are smarter than we are! If a baby is hungry and u pop a dummy in they'll spit it out..
Ellie only had one to fall asleep with then once she was asleep she didn't need it..
Getting her off it was fine, Jaycee was harder but I made her leave it by her bed when she was older and could understand that it's just for bed as she had it all the time! It never affected her speech or anything.. She came off it pretty well considering she was attached to it. Every child is different tho so u don't know how it's gonna go.. But if they get that thumb there's no stopping it! My great uncle was still sucking his thumb at 75!!
It sounds like he could benefit from one I wouldn't be too strict with it just yet as he doesn't know but defo try and limit it to naps and bed time when he's a good few months old x

I shoved a dummy in Fin's mouth today for the second time ever as he was bawling his eyes out as I put him in his carseat and was busy getting other thongs ready for our trip. As an element of novelty and
Surprise it shut him up :) won't be doing any more than that if I can get away with it Xx

I tried to breast feed at 1st but didnt get past day 4 as I wasnt produding enough milk and I was advised not to give my LO a dummy while BF. I gave her one at about 3 weeks and she loves it....only downfall is when it falls out in the night! I have read reports that it is good to give baby a dummy at night as it keeps their airways open!?

We were dead against it but when owen was in scbu they said when he has been fed through the tube give him his dummy to associate feeding with sucking. So we still use it now as he finds comfort in it mainly fr sleeping to be honest. Although sometimes if we are out etc. my plan is to get to of it in next few months as I hate it!!

I shoved a dummy in Fin's mouth today for the second time ever as he was bawling his eyes out as I put him in his carseat and was busy getting other thongs ready for our trip. As an element of novelty and
Surprise it shut him up :) won't be doing any more than that if I can get away with it Xx

Thongs hey ;) :lol:

Lol!

Sophie had one last night as she was comfort crying and it was the only thing that kept her quiet.

I have given Alice a dummy already, i didnt want her sucking hands and blankets like she did at first because i didnt want her sucking her hands if she had been touching things. I also hate seeing thumb suckers when they are older.

I have given Alice a dummy already, i didnt want her sucking hands and blankets like she did at first because i didnt want her sucking her hands if she had been touching things. I also hate seeing thumb suckers when they are older.

Lol u would hate me I still suck my thumb in bed lol

Haha no mrsmc its just ive never done it so it looks strange to me! I dont like older kids with dummies aswell but i plan on her been off it asap! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back