Dummy ur thoughts!

Lilelephant

Reaction score
Am currently sterilising a dummy. But still debating it in my head.

The thing is O cries and the only thing that settles him is a bottle but when he isn't really hungry he just messes around and doesn't actually take much milk! So I am guess he finds the suckin a comfort thing!

Try him with one, lots of people find them a great help and they are supposed to reduce the SIDS risks too. Kynon wont take one though!

Worth a go. Phoebe is only bothered by hers every now and again she won't take it a lot of the time, she prefers to suck her fist lol. Be prepared to keep having to get up to put it back in his mouth though. lol x

When we were in hospital Jack sucked on my finger for hours, I was literally stuck to the bed with him! I had 2 dummies in his bag (just in case) so we gave one to him and haven't looked back since! He loves his dummy but we're pretty strict and only give it to him when he's tired or going to bed at night. He's got a sickness bug at the moment so he's having it quite alot but generally he'll suck on it and then spit it out to shove something much more interesting in his mouth lol.

He does lose it when he's sleeping at night and will wake at least once a night and fidget about until we give it to him but that should stop when he learns how to find it and pop it back in himself.

I'd give Orlando a go, he'll either take it or won't. If he takes it then set yourself some ground rules of when he can/can't have it and you should be fine :) x

Thanks ladies! :) I was thinking he could have it if he gets funny between feeds and at night

Hey hun.
Leo has one. We tried him with one when we was having a bad night and we noticed he was suckin his hands. We find that it really helps settle him and plus i would rather him hav a dummy than suck his hands. You could always try him xx

ella has one to get her to sleep but will spit it out and leave it resting on her lips when she actually falls to sleep... if she knocks it off i have to balance it on her chest so she can feel it on her lips but she doesnt actually want it in her mouth! lol

I personally can't stand them and Thomas never had one but for some it does work and is a great help I'm not going to use one this time as in my opinion they don't miss what they have never had but that's just me and I'm not trying to force my opinion in anyone go what works for you :) xx

I personally don't like them at all but I have 3 one in the changing bag (awaiting a long journey in the car if he goes mad) and 2 at home which I'm relieved I haven't used (bar his second night home!) the only reason I don't like them is because of when u see 5 y/o's that can barely speak as they always have a dummy in their mouth (not saying all dummy users would do that I understand you need rules on use etc) I'm also terrified of Ty getting nipple confusion which does mean he'll sit and suck on me for an hour sometimes :|

Pinky I a the same hence the debating! I always said I wouldn't give him one! But if it is just at night hoping that will be ok

I think if ur gonna do it be strict on the just at night. That's what I'd do!

Def be strict at only nights otherwise he will want it all the time xx

Jake has a dummy but only at nap times and at night. We don't give it to him when hes awake. He rarely goes to sleep without a dummy now so am not looking forward to weaning him off it. It does fall out during the night and he'll let us know when he wants it back. I can't wait until he can learn to find it and pop it back in by himself!!!

I offered Grace a dummy when she was about a week old and she only really had it for settling her to sleep for comfort, by 3 months she didn't need it anymore at all and just rejected it completely one day and she settled herself from then on. She didn't use it much but it was a god send when she was tired to help soothe her.

Sophia is similar she only has it when she needs to settle to sleep and even now she is coming off it, I can see her going the same way as Grace. She is 3 months tomorrow and barely has it at all, I actually can't remember the last time she had it - probably a couple of days ago. I think around this age you can sort of wean them off it and never look back. She settles to sleep without of a night now and goes to be smiling, i think its just about getting them down before they get overtired, once overtired they need something to hemp them relax xxx

I was debating using a dummy at one stage as E would sit and suck on her hands. I spoke to my doctor during her 6 week check up and he recommended using a Taggie. He said he used one and never looked back.

I decided to get one to try it and she loved it so much that I had to get a second one as when I put hers in the wash, she would cry for it. I don't use it at night yet as I am afraid she will put it over her face while she is asleep, she happily settles at night without it. I have to take it everywhere during the day as she will suck on it and play with it for hours on end and will even fall asleep hugging it.

Last edited:
I'm more in favour of them, they are meant to reduce the risk of SIDS, also my neice sucks her thumb, which is ruining her teeth, and is proving a nightmare to get her to stop. At least a dummy you can physically remove (might cause a major tantrum - but you can do cold turkey) if they start on fingers or thumbs that's a lot harder to wean off.

Xxx

I'm more in favour of them, they are meant to reduce the risk of SIDS, also my neice sucks her thumb, which is ruining her teeth, and is proving a nightmare to get her to stop. At least a dummy you can physically remove (might cause a major tantrum - but you can do cold turkey) if they start on fingers or thumbs that's a lot harder to wean off.

Xxx

Agree I was a thumb sucker and still am lol

I introduced the dummy at six weeks and it was a life saver! My lo was constantly on the breast suckling for comfort not feeding iykwim......

As for comments about five year olds who still have them and cant speak, thats completely the parents fault and up to them to stop it....my lo now at 15 months oly has his at nap and bed time, not during the day, and i plan to have him dummy free by the age of two.

Mrsmc you will deffo be grateful for it!! And like mclean said u are in control of when to stop it

Last edited:
i didn't like dummies but now my lo self settles herself by sucking on her fingers, just when she is tired and am now thinking that maybe a dummy would have been better!
she won't take one now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back