Drinking Alcohol When Pregnant

benmw

Reaction score
At the start of this year my wife and I were met with the wonderful news that we were expecting twins. After the initial bombardment of emotions we set about finding out how our life was going to change and more importantly how we could take every effort to ensure that our babies would be born safely and grow healthily in the womb. As book reading is all a bit early 21st century we retreated to our occasionally unhealthy addiction of the Google search engine. Following a few searches along the lines of “Mid-Life Crisis”, “Cheap holidays for 4” and “How to Build the Perfect Man-cave” my wife took the computer off me and got serious. “Pregnant with twins”, “Risks of twin pregnancy” and “How fat will I look with twins?” knocked the keyword robots for six as we raced around the worldwide web. One of the first things we looked at was alcohol. After that, we Googled, “should I drink alcohol when pregnant?” and were shocked to see the huge variety of different opinions. My wife and I do tend to enjoy the odd glass of wine in the evenings. We’ll occasionally have a bit of a weekend blowout. But what happens now? Is that late night tipple now out of the question for her? Some websites said that you could drink a bit, others said DON’T whilst further sites suggested that as long as you didn’t drink in the first trimester then your babies would be fine. Midwives were none the wiser and although not advocating drinking the advice was a little generalised and the decision came down to personal preference.

Now, my wife and I work for a film company called Frogspawn Creative and about this time we had the amazing privilege of working with No-Fas UK which is a charity set up to research and advise on this very issue. FAS stands for Foetal Alcohol Syndrome and leads to the Disorder in babies of the same name. This disorder is caused by the drinking of alcohol when pregnant and symptoms include:

• Poor growth while the baby is in the womb and after birth

• Decreased muscle tone and poor coordination

• Delayed development and problems in three or more major areas: thinking, speech, movement, or social skills

• Problems with the development of facial features

• Heart Defects

My wife set about researching a story-based short documentary, directed by Lauren Pushkin, on the risks of drinking alcohol whilst pregnant. The timing couldn’t have been better as my wife trawled through masses of information and set up interviews with the leading experts in the field. What transpired was a clear theme – drinking whilst pregnant has the potential to harm your baby. If you drink a lot then there is a large risk that your baby will contract FASD; if you drink a medium amount then there is a medium risk and if you drink no alcohol then there is no risk. And actually, it doesn’t matter when you drink as timings vary completely depending on the mother. Right. Let’s get this straight. FASD is an entirely preventable disease. So that’s No Alcohol No Risk - the name of the documentary was born.

It was therefore in some shock that I read the article in both The Metro and the Daily Mail on 20th June 2012. What shocks me about this is that it not only says that drinking when pregnant is fine but also seems to actively encourage the odd binge. I can hear the walls of the NHS shuddering as I read! Publishing a story like this seems to me both irresponsible and inaccurate journalism that could potentially lead to a huge amount of mothers unwittingly harming their unborn babies Similarly, what this article doesn’t talk about is that the majority of symptoms of FASD don’t actually show up until the child is 7 or older. Hence, stopping the study and publishing it after 5 years is totally reckless.

Pregnancy is a hard enough time for mothers as it is. Conflicting information and articles like this achieve nothing but added confusion and stress and, as I said, have the potential to cause a lot of harm to our next generation.

My wife and I agreed (amazingly!) that we didn’t want to risk the health of our unborn babies and therefore, she wouldn’t drink. And (unsurprisingly!) not risking the health of her unborn babies came quite easily to her. Yes, there are so many risks with pregnancy but contracting FASD shouldn’t be one of them. With 2 months to go (gulp!), we can sit happy in the knowledge that we have prevented a disorder in our children and whatever else they might contract, FASD will not be an itch that they need to scratch!

If you would like to see a full and proper study of this issue then head to the NO-FAS web site where you can also watch the documentary, No Alcohol No Risk.

Let’s start getting the message out there.

Congrats on the twins! :)

To be honest, 99% of pregnant women know exactly what the risks of drinking are, but still choose to do it, which I find very sad. I think a lot of women try to back up their decision to drink with excuses like 'it was a special occasion' or 'I only had 1 glass' - but to me, no occasion is special enough to potentially poison my baby!
I, personally, find the whole thing quite upsetting, and get annoyed at midwives who say its ok to have a drink every now and then, because they can't possibly tell what its doing to the baby.

Its the same with smoking. Its a substance which is known to be poisonous and harmful, yet you still see pregnant women puffing away on a fag. Its absolutely disgusting!

I have extremely strong views on this so I'm gona stop now before I go off on a massive rant :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

It really angers me when people drink when pregnant. I personally think it's a very selfish thing to do. It's only 9 months, surely that is a short enough time to put your babys health before your own wants? Especially in this day and age when there are alcohol free versions of alot of drinks. I read somewhere that when you feel tipsy, your baby is at the point of passing out...
I know I now probably sound like a prude, but a baby is such a special gift, and you are responible to protect it. You wouldn't give a newborn baby alcohol, so why do it when its in your womb? X

i hadnt drank for 3 months before getting pregnant and i havent drank since then either, i dont miss it and i dont want any. i quit smoking when i got my bfp and havent had 1 since either. its a small price to pay for my babys health

I read that article after someone in the TTC section posted it saying " to put your mind at rest". I mean one of the main problems of drinking when pregnant is miscarriage and low birth weight. Now where in that article does it tell you how many of the woman in the trial lost their babies? or how many were born small? that article is ONLY about development up to age 5. Its a vey narrow view point and i am actually shocked its been published.

It's been said before on PF, but would you put alcohol in your babys bottle? Even on special occasions like weddings, christmas or the odd one here and there? No course you wouldn't, so why is it any different in the womb?

I totally agree with Jayjay, saying that you had one drink on a special occasion is just a way of justifying having a drink. Alcohol is a drug, would you give your baby cannabis or speed? No of course not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back