Downs screening

Emmamb

Reaction score
Has any1 else declined to b tested?
I was tested wiv my 1st and 2nd baby,with my 2nd I was told I had a high risk 1 in 190 and had to see the consultant who then offered me an amnio wiv a 1 in 100 chance of miscarriage!? I didn't see the point in having it due to the risk of miscarriage greater than the risk of downs...and by the time all my tests and results were in I would bave been pushing 18 weeks and not in a position to want to terminate the pregnancy anyway...it just put extra worry on my pregnancy and my son was born healthy anyway.

So with this and my last pregnancy I refused the testing xxx

i refused too, i wouldnt have an amnio whatever the result and what will be will be, i read up on it a lot and decided to go with my gut decision and not have the screening, OH and mum and sis who has had 3 kids and only had screen on first agreed... read stats in my maternity pack saying that 4 out of 10 babys born with D/S originally showed on the screening as low risk thats almost 50% being missed cases so i didnt see much point having it when its not even very accurate either- extra worry and not much you can do bout it either and really havent thought about it once unless people ask if i had the screening or not xxx

I refused also for similar reasons to you Emma. I don't think I could EVER put myself through a termination and I wouldn't want the amnio test. So basically, if my results came back as a high ratio, I wouldn't do anything but worry until the day my baby was born. I've enjoyed been able to enjoy my pregnancy.

I refused it because there is no way I would risk having the amnio! I couldn't terminate and I'd be heartbroken if I miscarried because of the amnio. At my 20 week scan they explained that they look for 'abnormalities' throughout all the scans even though it's not definative they were able to tell me Seb doesn't have any of the things they look for to indicate down syndrome but honestly I wouldn't care if he did, he's still my baby and I would love him no matter. I understand some people choose to have it done for support and not termination purposes and can see why but it's not for me x

I didn't have it with my last child either, didn't see the point xx

I had the screen test mostly for my OHs benefit. My aunt has downs syndrome and he took ages to admit it cos he didnt want to insult my family but he was worried I'd have some kind of genetic link. We spoke to the midwife about it who told us that Im not at any more risk than anyone else but I decided to have the screening test and cross my fingers that it came back low risk, bit of a gamble really as I would not have agreed to the amnio either. I wouldnt terminate a pregnancy if I found out my baby had downs syndrome, while it would be nice to know prior to birth, I wouldnt take the 1 in 100 chance of miscarriage to find out.

I think OH and I wouldve fallen out if the results had come back high risk cos he knows very little about special needs and I think he would want to end a pregnancy if we were told the baby had any kind of condition.

I was going to ask this question. Interesting to see the responses. I am yet to decide whether to have it. Will have a chat with hubs and see what he thinks.

i also refused it because i believe we are given what we are given disability or not it is still my child and i will love it regardless

Eventhough I'm over 35 and they offered me the tests, i too refused, didn't even really discuss it or have to think about it cause i know i wouldn't terminate so whats the point? only some things can be picked up by scan and we are never really sure if they are going to be 100% healthy until they arrive. If there was anything wrong i woulod want to know in advance but def not worth the worry or risk of miscarriage imo.

I declined the blood tests as wouldn't have done anything further either if they had come back as high risk, if they did the NT scans here I would have had those done as they are more accurate....
:flower:

We too declined all the downs testing, didn't see the point and wouldn't have made a difference to how much i'm going to love my baby.

xx

yeah no way will i have them done, no point because i won't terminate etc if the results were high rish etc

I refused it too. The initial nuchal screening isn't all that accurate anyway. In any event if Lil Dixie did have DS I still would go ahead with the pregnancy and treat him/her in exactly the same way as my 3 stepkids who live with us and one is Deaf like me and OH. I would be a hypocrite to terminate just cos of a non-life threatening disability.
I want to enjoy my pregnancy without that black cloud of "high risk" hanging over me or people pressuring me to terminate or pitying me if it was known that my baby has DS. I figured people would just have to deal with it and accept facts once baby arrives.

i also refused it because i believe we are given what we are given disability or not it is still my child and i will love it regardless

same here Lisa, i think its really horrible that some would have abortion cuz your child had downs. THAT is NOT a reason to abort your child.

I refused as even if my bubba does have down's it won't make a difference to how much I love him :)

I had the test, but it was more for hubby's benefit. My uncle had Down's so it wouldn't be a big deal for me if my bubba was the same. I just thought it would give hubby time to get his head round it, as there is absolutely no way I would terminate because of that.

I'm having it because I want to be prepared for what might be ahead, but I dont know what I'll do if the results come back as a high risk yet.

my cousin was told that docs reckoned her baby was downs and offered her the test , she said no and her mum was outraged as to why she would take that chance, that she should terminate if baby is downs. my mum told her god wouldnt give something so precious to someone who couldnt cope.... everybody wanted her to get the tests... her lil girl was born with downs and is amazing!!! everyone loves her and her nan is abs mad about her and feel tremendous guilt i dont think they realised how their livesw would change for the better... i do think its ok however to get the test in preparation ...

babies are a blessing and you take what you get... i feel if you think you can only cope with a 'normal,healthy' baby dont get pregnant.... xx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back