Does your LO watch tv?

marley

Reaction score
Controversial topic I know, but do you purposefully put lo in front of the tv?

Im all for interacting with LO etc , but I just turned on ceebeebies, whilst trying to change her nappy and well... It was like magic, hypnosis??!!!!
She was so still..

I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of building a bit of tv time into our daily routine.

Thoughts please x

Apologies for any typos!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332329884.418483.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332329884.418483.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 13
No, not normal TV but we do occasionally watch his baby Einstein DVD together (totally recommend btw!) but if he's sat on my lap looking towards the telly I don't move his head, I just don't actively encourage watching iykwim?

Until DS was 1 he saw no tv at all. Lots of music but no tv. In fact I can't remember the last time we had the tv on during the day! Well over two weeks ago! Lol. It's not something that's a part of our lives particularly. If we were to put it on then I'd put on cbeebies and maybe let him watch for between 30 minutes and an hour. If it has been on he's not been very interested unless there's music involved (zingzillas for example), he simply prefers doing other things. I don't think there's anything wrong with letting them watch a little bit, I do think it's not good (I won't say wrong) for them to watch it all the time for long periods of time but that's just my opinion.

Generally no, but we've watched waybuloo as we tried for 30 mons to go down for a nap & was just getting upset. N
We also watched abit of the Winnie the pooh film that was on Sunday

We will have enough of DVDs, downloads and tv for LO to watch, necessary as part of a multilingual development to enforce each of the three languages that LO will be learning but it will not be in a daily basis probably. We don't even have tv Yet... I mean we do but you can't see anything on it other than DVDs :)
Tv is never on in our house all day and we probably put only a movie or so during the weekend to watch. I would live without a tv with no problem lol

Jack is more into the 'theme tunes' of programmes. The only programme that he will watch is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse but even then after the theme tune finishes he turns away until a bit he knows comes on e.g when Mickey calls Toodles. Other than that he likes certain adverts (wonga.com being one lol) or he'll watch the loose women theme tune etc.

When he's older i'd like to think that he'd be able to snuggle on the sofa with us to watch a DVD on a Sunday etc but I don't want him to be glued to the t.v x

I have been wondering about this too

Kayla is only just over 2 weeks but she seems to show an interest in tv allreaddy, i mainly have it on during the day as im on my own with her untill 6 and want her to be in noisy environment during the day so short of talking to my self all day long itsmy only option lol, its usuallt just mtv or skysports news thats o in the background but when she is on her play mat, she is facing meo n the sofa so the tv is behind her but she seems to try and look up at it over the bakc of her and is more interested in that than the play mat toys , but then she is only tiney so dont know what shes thinking?

OH was raised watching tv all the time and it does my head in that he cant be in a room without utting it on so will prob only let her have a little bit of telly time , the programs are fairly educational these days so guess somme of them will be good for her too

I go to my friends house quite often, she's got a little sister who's nearly one, and any time their tv is on it's on a cbeebies, but those programs are so... Babyish. I mean, obviously they're for children, but the way they talk on it seems a bit too far. I mean, aren't they meant to educate babies, not turn their brains too mush? Babies shouldn't always be talked to in baby voices, especially if they're older and are learning more. I'm all for watching films (ie Winnie The Pooh) and I'll certainly be digging out my Barney videos when LD arrives. Programs need to be more educational as well as fun, not stuff about a dancing teddy and Makka Pakkas x

We use one program a day as a wind down before bath and bed - in the night garden x

I have been wondering about this too

Kayla is only just over 2 weeks but she seems to show an interest in tv allreaddy, i mainly have it on during the day as im on my own with her untill 6 and want her to be in noisy environment during the day so short of talking to my self all day long itsmy only option lol, its usuallt just mtv or skysports news thats o in the background but when she is on her play mat, she is facing meo n the sofa so the tv is behind her but she seems to try and look up at it over the bakc of her and is more interested in that than the play mat toys , but then she is only tiney so dont know what shes thinking?

OH was raised watching tv all the time and it does my head in that he cant be in a room without utting it on so will prob only let her have a little bit of telly time , the programs are fairly educational these days so guess somme of them will be good for her too

My OH is like that too! Hence my reasoning! I do have the tv on all day tho but his bouncer has it's back to the telly a long with his swing. His mat is in front of it BUT it's rare he realises it's there!

I love in the night garden! I generally have it on but have cbeebis on, and I don't face Charlie towards the tv, but its nicer sounds that Jeremy Kyles guests lol, I wait til he's napping. I don't mind some programs but I do hate the way some of the words are pronounced like on 3rd and bird we have the books, and Muffin doesn't speak in proper sentences, she sounds really babyish...prob similar thing to the teletubbies and how they used to speak x

Nope and I don't plan on ever doing until she's a lot older but I don't want her to become one of those children that's glued to the tv.

I put her in her bouncer instead so she can watch what im doing

My lo is not interested in the tv at all. He loves certain adverts though...the go compare and wonga ones are his faves.. He stops what he is doing and stands and dances. He used to watch in th night garden but now that he is older i find he is too busy playing and exploring to be sat infront of the tv...which to me is a good thing! Hed rather i read to him..thats the only time he wikl stay still!!

Oscar does watch Baby TV and occasionally Disney Junior, but that's rarer. We don't have the tv on for him all the time, but it is educational and he LOVES the music singalong songs too.

I don't see anything wrong with him watching tv at all. He would much rather be playing and real life interacting and it's not on all the time anyways.

Some people are weird about TV. Like my MIL who pretends she NEVER watches tv and is like OMG Oscar is trying to turn the tv on :shock: (he likes buttons, any button will do lol), BUT she owns a freaking tv and we know for a fact she watches it and only turns it off when we arrive lol

I haven't ever put Fin in front of the tv but I had Katherine Jenkins live-in O2 on and Adele live on and he seemed interested in their faces when they came on. I sing along to the songs they sing and sing them to him :) I do sing nursery rhymes as well mind ;-)

we all watch in the night garden togther before bed. we all suggle in under a blanket to wind down. i hope she continues to want to do that!

We have the tv in quite a lot, whether it's cbeebies or adult tv. But we go out at least once a day for a few hours and the tv goes off at 6pm so she can have a wind down reading books and getting ready for bed etc.

I personally don't see the harm. We watch it together if it's on and I talk to her about it and repeat certain works or signs weve watched that day and she learns from it. I probably do have the tv on more than is recommended but I'm fine with that lol. We didn't have a tv until she was about 1 anyway and for a very long she wasn't interested at all! It's also fantastic if she's feeling particularly hyper and I need I get the washing up done or something to help calm her :)

I used to have it on as a background thing but I rarely have it on anymore because she gets too distracted by it and when I feed her she keeps craning her neck to see it so I just switched it off and I keep it off all day. I read a lot when she's napping so I kinda enjoy the quiet lol. I don't see a problem with it really to be honest, I suppose its personal preference but I wanted her to interact with me and not get distracted. If my OH is working the TV will be off all day until she goes to bed most days lol. xx.

I agree, some people are wierd about the whole TV thing. We have the telle on for some part of the day if we are home. Most of the time we are out and about. LO fav's are waybuloo and baby Jake. I dont see any harm in watching a bit of telle xxxxx

I wouldn't say I'm weird about tv but I really don't see the point. I'd much rather read a book or play a game or study than watch tv. I don't mind tv and I don't think it's evil or anything I just don't see the need. Maybe I am weird then! Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back