Does this sound Chavvy??

Lynds77

Reaction score
well my hubby wants to call our baby Cavan if its a boy. Gavin with a "K" sound at the start.

Now my cousin called her wee boy Cavan 5 years ago, and i always thought it was one of those made up names like Jayden and Kiana etc etc. I had always thought it was a little bit chavvy?

but now I have been told that Cavan is the part of Ireland where my husbands ancestors come from! although in Irish its spelt
Cabhán.

Now i much prefer the Irish spelling, but its still pronounced the same. And if we give him the Irish spelling, he will be forever having to spell it out for people over the phones etc etc, which has always annoyed me throughout my life, being called Lyndsay.

honest thoughts please!!

no its not chavvy but i prefer the other spelling much more, my name is always gotten wrong :roll: but i dont mind as its unusual

thanks Lynette, which spelling do you prefer??

I prefer the Irish spelling! And I think either way he'll still be spelling it out for people. My name is Kathryn, but people always spell it Katherine, so I have to correct them. It doesn't annoy me though?

I prefer the Irish spelling! And I think either way he'll still be spelling it out for people. My name is Kathryn, but people always spell it Katherine, so I have to correct them. It doesn't annoy me though?

Im with titch love the Irish spelling

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

well my surname used to be Macdonald, so I was always having to spell out both my first name and last name when dealing with people over the phone. When you have 2 long names, it gets a bit tiring having to always spell it out!

and now i have an Irish surname that also needs spelled out to people I dont want to label bubs with something so difficult! but i do like the Irish spelling......

my parents hate the name though

Both are nice but i think the Irish spelling is more unique and im guessing he will have to spell it out either waqy - if someone said to me Cavan (said Kavin) thats how i would spell it.. if that makes sense...

It doesnt sound chavvy at all!

I don't like it, I don't like the look of it.
I would also be constantly annoyed by people saying it incorrectly.
If you like it then go for it x

Been irish it does remind me of Cavan makes (makes me say it it a cavan accent to lol)
If you like it go for it I'm sure it will grow on people like all new names do x

It reminds me of the Asian name cabhaan or cahaan. We've got a couple of boys with those names at the mo x

I'm so lost with a boys name as much as I would be over the moon for bubs to be a boy he will have to be called Lilly because that's the only name I have picked that I like so far lol

I'm the same, I've used all my favourite boys names already x

Someone else on here is calling her LOL Cabhan (spelt the Gaelic way like you would as well)

I am not a huge fan personally, I like very traditional names.

OH is second generation Irish and likes a few Gaelic names but I am not keen on them in general :shock:

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I'm not even thinking about it yet, oh doesn't like anything I like yet comes up with no suggestions himself :wall: x

thanks Lynette, which spelling do you prefer??

the irish spelling hun, he will have to spell it either way as both are unusual but Cavan does sound a *little* bit chavvy ( sorry ) whereas the other spelling is unusual and original

how is this pronounced?

Someone else on here is calling her LOL Cabhan (spelt the Gaelic way like you would as well)

I am not a huge fan personally, I like very traditional names.

OH is second generation Irish and likes a few Gaelic names but I am not keen on them in general :shock:

xxxxxxxxxx

I like loads of Irish names but because we don't have any Irish roots OH won't even consider it.

its making my head hurt!! i cant find any name that I actually like, apart from Cailean but OH has said NO to that one.......... which is why I am trying to bring myself round to Cabhan.

I dont want anything that is in the top20 names list anyway........ i like slightly unusual and being Scottish/Irish we love celtic names.

do you know the sex yet? is it a boy or girl?

no we are staying team yellow. But for girls we have a short list of Freya Rose (or Freya Lisa) or Cora Lisa.

its just boys names we are struggling with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back