Does anyone know, can you choose to have a c section?

pigletpoo

Reaction score
I know I'm probably forward planning a bit, but I see my midwife on saturday and I really want to have a c section and not a natural birth. No medical reason, I'm just petrified of the whole birth thing - always have been. That might sound silly or selfish, but i can't help the way i feel.

I want to know if I can just ask for a c section? Or do I have to have a reason? It's really playing on my mind a lot. Any help would be apprecited. Thanks.

Piglet xx

If you are diagnosed as tocophobic (have a severe fear of natural birthing) you may be granted a C-section but it doesn't come easy. Hospitals are trying to cut their numbers on these, despite the fact it costs up to ten times more to have the op!

You may be offered pre-natal counselling which is worth considering, as if you could get a handle on your fear it may be better. A C-section is major abdominal surgery and recovery time is a lot longer than vaginal birth.

If you get to the point where your fear is really affecting your health though you should be granted it. There are members here who've been in your position (Skatty?) so you should be able to get first hand advice!

Good Luck :hug:

When i first found out i was pg...I wouldn't read about labour i pretended it wasn't going to happen...I forced myself in the end and now it seems much more realistic and a better option if i can have a natural delivery.

I am not saying this is how it is for everyone but your feelings may well change

I always used to say that i would have a ceaserean to, still think about it occasionally but thinking more towards a natural birth now just cause i dont think i would like to stay in hospital for any longer than necessary an would like to be able to walk around and do stuff after.

i would recommend lots of drugs if you have a natural birth. as c sections can be hard to recover from and its not like you can just lay in bed and recover when you have a crying newborn!! xxxxx

Keely said:
i would recommend lots of drugs if you have a natural birth.

Amen sister! I think it's good for all mums to be to realise that no-one has to endure unbearable pain. There is help there if you need it and pigletpoo, you may well surprise yourself! :D

Minxy said:
Keely said:
i would recommend lots of drugs if you have a natural birth.

Amen sister! I think it's good for all mums to be to realise that no-one has to endure unbearable pain. There is help there if you need it and pigletpoo, you may well surprise yourself! :D

i agree! pigletpoo you willbe a lot stronger than you imagine.
if you do find things to painful there is a cocktail of drugs to take as others have said.

Thanks everyone for your replys.
Its hard to explain, but its not the pain I'm worried about. Its just the whole birthing thing. I always said I would never have kids - not because i dont want them, but the whole pregnancy thing and birth thing really freaks me out. Dont get me wrong, I am happy to be PG, but if I think too much I start to panick and just want it out asap! I bet I sound like a right wierdo now, I'm sorry.
I really want my baby, but the process scares me to death. I keep having nightmares. :cry:

Thanks for taking the time to reply :hug:

Piglet xx

Awww Piglet, i know what you mean babe but just look at yourself now, you said yourself you couldnt even imagine having children because you were so scared of pregnancy and your doing amazingly! Don't sell yourself short babe i don't think there is a woman on the planet that actually WANTS the birth bit but just think what you get at the end of it :hug: with YOUR baby,

Chin up chicken, you'll be fine, i sometimes think thats why pregnancy is 9 months so we get time to get our heads around the whole thing :rotfl:

No worries flower, always here if ya need a moan :hug:

Hiya - I had a C-Section with my first baby and the recovery time was long and very very painful. I had no choice but to have one but with this baby I definitely want to have a natural delivery.

If you are considering a C-Section, think long and hard about it - it's no picnic.

Many women fear the birth and perhaps like others have suggested some couselling may help you reduce your fears. Talk to your mum about it or some other female relatives and get their experiences of childbirth. It might help you get more of an idea of what it will be like.

Good luck x

I'm planning a water birth with gas and air. I've had friends who had a water birth and they say it's so much better that natural. A girl in my work got a C-Section and she was ill for weeks after - the wound got infected. She couldn't pick up the baby and had to bottle feed. She couldn't drive either!

There's also the epi-dural had a friend who had that and felt nothing, but it did take longer (10 hours :shock: )

what are you scared of with a natural birth? i think the councelling is a good idea. if you need to have a c section thats fine but i dont agree with people choosing them(sorry :oops: ) the rates of asthma and lung issues increase in c section babies thats somwthing i wouldnt want to choose for my baby??
i really dont mean to sound harsh its diffiicult trying to write something which doesnt sound like your being mean sometimes. :D

I'm the opposite, two natural labours,gas and air and peth and can't imagine having to have a C-section, that would scare the beegeez out of me, guess i wouldn't have a choice if it comes down to it but i'd rather go through labour with every drug than a C-section.

Hi again everyone,

Sounds like I've started a real debate here! :oops:
I know it all doesn't sound rational, and I'm only 9 weeks PG, but i do suffer with real panic attacks about things.
Take the dentist for example - they had to prescribe me valium to take the night before and the morning of the day i was due to have a filling - I still didn't go!! And now I'm PG i refuse to go becasue I can't take the valium!! Aggggh, it's so frustrating!

My sister had a c section with both her babies, but they were nearly 10lbs in weight, and she was up and about really quick - the doc even said to her that she was one of the fastest to recover he had ever seen.

Eveadel - Thanks for the threads, you sound so much like me! Can I ask - did you get your c section in the end??

Thanks Piglet xxx

OMG Eveadel!! You did it the good ol fashioned natural way! I hope maybe i can be as brave as you when it comes to it, although at the moment I can't imagine it!
Very cute baby by the way, amazing hair she had! Thanks so much for sharing your story with me, I'll let everyone know how the midwife reacts on Saturday when i broach the subject with her!

:hug:

Piglet xx

Yeah definetly keep me posted, Im 100% behind you

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back