doctors and midwives

VetNicky

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just been to see my doctor for this first time and I've come away feeling totally confused. It wasn't what I expected at all.
She worked out how far gone i was, didn't give me a due date. asked if I was taking folic acid (i am) told me not to eat soft cheeses. told me its ok to eat nuts - until I pointed out i'm allergic which is all over my notes. Asked if there were any family health issues - my dad had a stroke last year at 43 and i've always had raised bp while i was on the pill but never needed medication. that was it. I was told to call reception to book to see the midwife. she didnt weigh me, didn't take my blood pressure. nothing. she couldn't answer any of my questions about what its safe for me to do at work (I'm a vet) other than telling me to have nothing to do with cats at all(which I think is the wrong advice). She told me to ask the midwife about taking x-rays, doing anaesthetics etc.
So I rang to book a midwife appointment and was told they wouldnt even take my details until I was 8 weeks gone and they wouldnt see me until 12 weeks.

Is this how its been for other people? I thought the early months were the most risky and I cant seem to get answers on whats safe for my baby and what isn't:cry:

Your doctor sounds ridiculous, she should have given you a lot more advice. Is there another doctor you can talk to? Or perhaps call NHS direct? Internet is good for finding out dos and don'ts and pregnancy books are also helpful.

Here is some useful info on the cat situation http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/isitsafeto/catlitterexpert/. You don't need to steer clear of cats just avoid touching litter trays.

x

Oh Bless you!! I agree with EmmaN your doctor sounds pretty useless! I personally didn't have a doctors appointment so I can sympathise in the sense that I felt so alone until I saw the midwife at 8 weeks. If you can see a different doctor to get some advice on the do's and don'ts in terms of work I would.

when you have your booking in appointment with the midwife your BP, weight, and medical history will be taken.

In terms of due dates if you google a due date calculator, you will be able to work out an expected due date based on the first day of your last period.

Hope you get a bit more support soon xx

Sorry your doc was abit useless, my doc didn't really do anything either. As for the mw, well I'm sure you're supposed to see her between 8 and 10 weeks, but depends on your area. Some areas you have scan at the same time as first mw appointment, which 12 weeks would be the right time for scan. Whereabouts are you hun? There might be ladies on here in the same area, that might be able to help you x x

Am afraid doctors really dont have anything to do with anything pregnancy related which is a bit wrong. Mine referred me to the midwives at the hospital and the contacted me a couple weeks later. Its the midwives that do all the bloods, and weighings and family history etc etc.
With regards to work i work in operating theatres and told work at 14 weeks where they said i shoudl have stayed out of the anaesthetic room which i was in all the time and to avoid x-rays at all costs.
Hope you have better luck next time x

Agree with above, GP's generally just refer to the midwifes, that's it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back