Desperate for help - He wakes up when I lie him down

star fish

Reaction score
Am getting sleep deprived as Jasper hates being put down. He has to have one of us holding him all day and all night!

It's too exhausting to even try to justify and explain and its the reason I'm hardly here now.

However, I can handle it on the whole through the day, when DH is around we take turns otherwise I let J cry for 2 mins whilst I hastily use the loo or get dressed or whatever then pick him up again.

But its such a problem at night. I rock him until he is in a really deep sleep and 50% of the time he goes down and stays down for 3 or 4 hours til his next feed but the other 50% of the time he senses it and frets, flinging his arms around until they hit him in the face and he wakes up (that is if he hasnt woken up just by being lowered down!) and he cries... :-(

I then spend another 40 mins pacing about trying to get him back to sleep to repeat the process, it can go on all night. Last night I did it 6 times til 3 am then gave up and just dozed upright in a chair til 7 am with him on my chest.

Any tips? Help!

I am on my phone so can't see how old Jasper is hun I am afraid.

However swaddling was a big help for us when Georgie was little. She loved to be wrapped really tight - makes them feel safe and stops them hitting themselves or jumping awake.

As Georgie got older I put her down awake and stayed with her while she fell asleep - I read somewhere that they are more likely to self settle if they wake up and know where they are. Must admit if I fell asleep in someones arms all cosy and then woke up alone and somewhere different it would unsettle me so it made sense.

I lay her on her side with a rolled up sheet to support her and patted her back until she fell asleep then rolled her on her back. By 5 months she was perfectly happy being put down awake and me leaving the room.

Each baby is different tho, hope this helps x

Sent from my BlackBerry 8900 using Tapatalk

Hi hun,

Hope you're ok. I was asking earlier about Ewan the Sheep. Apparently he's good for comforting. You could try him? I'm just searching for something I read of my cousins facebook page as she had a similar probem. Will be back in a mo when I find it!

xxx

He's 2 months and really hates to be swaddled, but what you say about knowing where they are sounds like really good advice. I do always stay with him and try singing, patting, rocking the crib, everything I can think of! Maybe i should persevere through the crying?

Hi hun,

Hope you're ok. I was asking earlier about Ewan the Sheep. Apparently he's good for comforting. You could try him? I'm just searching for something I read of my cousins facebook page as she had a similar probem. Will be back in a mo when I find it!

xxx

Oh, thanks Olive, I'll go look at Ewan the sheep thread x

Have you tried putting a hot water bottle in his cot (or whatever he sleeps in) for a little while before you put him down. I found that Alice didnt like to go down into a cold cot. Or have something that has your scent on it, like one of his teddy's that you've cuddled for a while. Hope you get a decent nights sleep x

Not many replies unfortunately chicky on my thread but am thinking of getting one. He sleeps ok atm but is a noisy wee bugger at night after feed so wondering if it'll make him settle easier!

This is what she used http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003FUZF...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B003FUZF98 am tempted to buy one now I've had a look. Swaddling is hit and miss with Brody. Sometimes he looks like he loves it, othertimes he fights it and wants his arms out, so I just use sleeping bags. This looks a bit different though.

x

Ooh I keep meaning to try the hot water bottle trick Traci. x

Maybe slowly but surely wean him off you iykwim, c was like this n i used to put him on his mat in the day and lie with him, then sit with him, then sit up a bit away from him, then sit on the couch...now a lot of the time he will only want to be rocked for a while then.will want peace and quiet and to be left alone...however this week he's been unusually clingy so in the day I've not managed to get much done! My view is that he's a little bit.too comfy on mum and dad, which is nice, but it will do him good to be a little bit independent and get a bit of exercise wiggling about on a playmat if you have one :) x

Don't have much advice star but it sounds like you're having a nightmare :(

The first thing I thought of was laying him on his side? Have u seen the dr? Could it be thereis something bothering him while on his back? Is he in a cot or Moses basket? Xx

There is a lot of crying before they get the idea that this is what happens before sleep hun.

I have just found the book and totally recommend it! It's called The baby whisper: sleep.

Georgie was a nightmare before we used the idea's in that book. She would fight sleep and scream for hours due to being overstimulated and overtired.

Xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 8900 using Tapatalk

Have u tried White noise? Like water sounds etc? This helps O,

Maybe slowly but surely wean him off you iykwim, c was like this n i used to put him on his mat in the day and lie with him, then sit with him, then sit up a bit away from him, then sit on the couch...now a lot of the time he will only want to be rocked for a while then.will want peace and quiet and to be left alone...however this week he's been unusually clingy so in the day I've not managed to get much done! My view is that he's a little bit.too comfy on mum and dad, which is nice, but it will do him good to be a little bit independent and get a bit of exercise wiggling about on a playmat if you have one :) x

We do have a playmat - a baby gym, but he wont let me lie him on that either

I have quite a soft curved breastfeeding pillow I lay baby on for a feed, if I take him off that and lay him elsewhere he wakes up but if I take him off still on the pillow he stays asleep because it still has the same warmth. Could you try something like this? Or at least make sure there's a thick layer of blanket between you and him so he doesn't notice it so much? My first son was terrible for this it was a nightmare.

Have you tried putting a hot water bottle in his cot (or whatever he sleeps in) for a little while before you put him down. I found that Alice didnt like to go down into a cold cot. Or have something that has your scent on it, like one of his teddy's that you've cuddled for a while. Hope you get a decent nights sleep x

I've tried tricking him with things that smell of me, even going so far as to take off the jumper I'm wearing at the last moment so its still nice and warm and wrapping the arms round him. I've also tried the hot water bottle, which has been a little bit sucessful on occasion

Miserable,isn't it. I had the same problem with my LO he would scream every time I put him down. So we used to put him in his bouncy chair and wait for him to fall asleep then transfer him to his crib. Around 4 months we managed to put him down awake in his crib. I know how heartbreaking it is to think you've cracked it only to be woken up by screams. It's so hard, I really feel for you xx

Will won't generally take one when awake but as he's falling off he sometimes will and helps him drift off and comforts him. I occasionally put some gripe water on the dummy and he always takes it. Just thinking Ur LO might find it a comfort xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back