• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Desperate for help - He wakes up when I lie him down

This will probably be frowned upon but I've found pretty much the only position sophie will sleep in in her crib is on her front. I know they dont advise it but I know her necks strong enough and she can lift and turn her head from side to side with ease. I put her down with her knees tucked under her and she sleeps really well!

She used to kick out of her blankets when swaddled and just generally doesn't like being flat on her back unless it's on the changing mat or play gym.

How long has the clingyness been going on for? Is he happy to sit in a more upright position in a bouncer etc?

I think it's slightly worrying if he's crying even when on his back on his playmat. Maybe theres something underlying causing discomfort?

Xxx

This will probably be frowned upon but I've found pretty much the only position sophie will sleep in in her crib is on her front. I know they dont advise it but I know her necks strong enough and she can lift and turn her head from side to side with ease. I put her down with her knees tucked under her and she sleeps really well!

She used to kick out of her blankets when swaddled and just generally doesn't like being flat on her back unless it's on the changing mat or play gym.

How long has the clingyness been going on for? Is he happy to sit in a more upright position in a bouncer etc?

I think it's slightly worrying if he's crying even when on his back on his playmat. Maybe theres something underlying causing discomfort?

Xxx

I dont think its discomfort as he is the same if we put him down anyway in any position, he is just clingy! The HV suggested it might be because of the traumatic birth with vontous, or simply that we have indulged him too much as he is so happy when with us, smiles constantly, and she says he is very healthy, so I guess Its my fault for not being more hard on him?

Ooh thought of another thing. My other cousin has one of these - http://www.cuski.com/
It takes the smell off of you if you keep it on you, like chucked over your shoulder or something, and can then be used as a comforter for lo.

xxx

I have to admit I don't run to Sophie as quickly as i used to. At first I'd pick her up at the slightest bit of a cry but now I'll finish what I'm doing first if I know there's nothing wrong with her and shes just whining. Its taken a while but she will now sit in her bouncer contently watching what I'm doing.

Have you got a sling? I found when Sophie was being clingy my moby sling was a lifesaver as it put her to sleep and left me with free hands. If it is down to the birth then I guess this will reassure him and build his confidence xx

A sling or carrier was a good idea for me, I could Hoover up and he'd drift off to sleep on me :) maybe gradually ease him.down then, maybe prop him up sometimes so he can see what's going on, or if you have some really distracting toys you could lie him down and then when.he cries make lots of noise with the toys and it might distract him enough so he forgets why he is crying? I really feel for you, can be so draining when they constantly need you and you need to get stuff done or just general time to yourself x

Issac likes to be held, he cries all the time he doesn't like his rocker or gym, he cries as soon as he realises he is going somewhere other than me.

Its not great advice but i had a bedtime routine from 4weeks, bath fed bed in dark room and the feed was done in silence. During the day i would go for several walks so he would sleep he started napping on me and in the last week or so I've been able to catch the first yawn or cry take him upstairs. Put on his tummy offer the dummy and asleep. Perserverance is needed and because he is now napping alone i don't mind holding him while he is awake... good luck. :) also i used to have a blanket id keep on me through the day and roll it up and put it above and curved round his head, he doesn't sleep on his tummy when first put down for bed. I found this helped.

Although the tummy sleeping is not recommended it stopped him waking himself up with his flying Arms xx

Issac likes to be held, he cries all the time he doesn't like his rocker or gym, he cries as soon as he realises he is going somewhere other than me.

Its not great advice but i had a bedtime routine from 4weeks, bath fed bed in dark room and the feed was done in silence. During the day i would go for several walks so he would sleep he started napping on me and in the last week or so I've been able to catch the first yawn or cry take him upstairs. Put on his tummy offer the dummy and asleep. Perserverance is needed and because he is now napping alone i don't mind holding him while he is awake... good luck. :) also i used to have a blanket id keep on me through the day and roll it up and put it above and curved round his head, he doesn't sleep on his tummy when first put down for bed. I found this helped.

Although the tummy sleeping is not recommended it stopped him waking himself up with his flying Arms xx

I know exactly what ur going through hun.
Please dont worry... U cant spoil a baby who is that young.
Harry is so used to being held because of his reflux.
AT 8 weeks he was the exact same as your LO but now at 13 weeks is a bit better. We still have to put him in his cot asleep but he now settles there at nite.
We still have trouble getting him to sleep during the day if its not in our arms.

Hang in there hun, i honestly think alot of it is to do with age.

This is one reason we chose to cosleep with our son, also because I was BFing and it made feeding through the night easier, but alot because he just would not settle on his own.

They don't know how to at that age, everything is still new and they need closeness. Being close to a heartbeat is comforting and reassuring, it's all they've know and suddenly they are thrust into the bright, scary, loud world!

Just to say be careful dozinig in a chair with LO hun xxxx

I would say perservere with the swaddling if you can, I LOVED it and swaddled my small girl until she was just under 3 months then switched to sleep togs. Swaddle him and cuddle him til he's warm and settled, then maybe place into a warm cot/basket, have a hot water bottle on a fleecy blanket then take the hot water bottle out right at the last minute so he's going somewhere warm.

With the swaddle, do it quite tight. I used to fold one part of the blanket down across one arm and tucked it under her body, then wrap the rest of the blanket the whole way round and tuck it under - not sure if that makes sense? I would then use a sheet/light blanket to tuck the whole lot in. It was brilliant. Brooke also had a massive urge to suck at 7 weeks - no dummy up until this point but when we gave her a dummy and tucked her in like that she was out for the count and started going 9.30pm to about 4.30am, it was a god send xxx

I hope it is age! I tried the sling as well, but my back just cant take his weight for long. He's on the 91st percentile, so quite heavy!

Still, softly softly I guess, I want him to be happy and I want him to leave me alone! So we'll just have to keep trying, sigh.......

Actually i have a lovely book that says now is the time to start getting a routine going as they adapt now better than earlier or later, and that it will take roughly 3 nights of hell and crying and then he will have learnt. Fingers crossed!

Have you tried different style dummies8 Charlie will only have cherry ones all the other ones he spits out, and they can't be from asda, ooh no got to be tommee tippee lol. Are you bf or ff? I can't remember if youve mentioned it...maybe look for a dummy with a.similar teat to his bottle if ff...and swaddling tight does wonders, Charlie kicks off at first and tries to wriggle put but once swaddled and with a dummy he's out like a light...he also has a teddy/comforter sort of next to his face and covering one of his ears...then when he's asleep I move it out the way.

drake was the same, he would sense when he's being put down even if he was in the deepest sleep whilst being held. we got a amby nature nest which is a hammock on a spring so when we put him down in it it bounces and rocks. also its quite narrow so keeps his arms secure which was good as when he was drifting off in his crib his arms would fall and that would wake him back up.

When I put G down, I usually hold his arms and gently lower hem down and then hold them down for some 10-20 seconds, so he doesn't move them around and wake himself up. He doesn't mind it. My mum taught me this trick and it really helped! Xx

I strongly recommend that you read 'the baby whisperer'. It has lots of tips & tricks on how to promote self soothing and a proper nights sleep.

It also contains a lot of 'don'ts' i.e rocking, cradling etc. Once you have broken the habit of the old routine he will be much more independant and a lot happier to sleep on his own. Good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back