Depression support thread

Hope you are ok helen, i have been feeling same over past couple of days. Not sure if its down to hormones or something else. Was up from 12:30 this morning and im knackered! Randomly bursting into tears too. xx

i am so so so so glad there is this thread..........i am bi-polar and suffer from massive downers/ manic episodes i lost my baby in sept and lucily have been sort of ok....but....oh is away tonight and i dont do good alone eep!

i am so so so so glad there is this thread..........i am bi-polar and suffer from massive downers/ manic episodes i lost my baby in sept and lucily have been sort of ok....but....oh is away tonight and i dont do good alone eep!

My sister is bipolar, she is 19 and i think she is great for what she puts up with. My dad suffered with depression and i have read it can be genetic. Just hope it misses my kids. Think i really started getting depressedb after my dad died just before paiges 1st birthday. Then i got post natal depression after having jake and i am dreading whats going to happen with this baby xx

i've had dep and anxiety since i was about 14 yrs old.it started with feeling suicidal for a week every time i was due a period once the period came it would disappear.i had prenatal dep with my first preg and pnd after birth. i got preg soon after ( my only planned child lol ) and didnt suffer with dep that time but agoraphobia set in.i had really severe pnd second time round i didnt love my baby he was very demanding and already having a 1 yr old i was a wreak but luckily anti'd treatment sorted me out.during much of my kids young lives i was suicidal didnt have a sleep pattern no energy pain and life was really tough as thier dad left when youngest was 2.i was lucky enough to have a cpn a counseller a drop in support group and mental health workers and my health visitor arranged placments at a nursery so i could have me time.support when u are depressed and anxious is ultra important especially when kids are involved.my oldest son who is 14 suffers with depression especially in the winter months and has had help from child MH.
this yr my suicidal feelings when i was due a period started again and i was hospitalised twice for trying to od and end my life.i was drinking 3 times a week because i lost a dear friend who was only 21 due to being hit over the head by a care worker who broke the shunt in her brain which kept the fluid building up.she went into organ failure and passed away.hearing that several care homes in england where she lived and was abused were closed down was a victory but to late for my friend.2 months ago i decided enough drinking u have greived for over a yr and a half now.in oct i didnt experience any suicidal feelings and in early dec i realised my period hadnt come and i was preg.i did panic because i have high blood pressure sleep disorders and fibromyalgia ( similar to ME but worse) and lots of other health problems.
i realise i have coped with so much in my life what with health issues challenging kids and a lack of mobility due to energy and pain but with my partners help and hopefully if i can get my sons to somehow acknowledge they live with a disabled parent starting over with a new baby shouldnt be as challenging.even in our darkest hours something manages to pull us through and we are often stronger than we give ourselfs credit for.stay strong but never be afraid to seek help when things get to much xxx

Last edited:
Aw Pregpixie, seem like you have been through the mill a lot. Hows your pregnancy so far? I find support from family helps a lot but sometimes its hard for them to fully understand xx

my partner and mum are understanding and both the dr and mw asked me if i wanted to see the cpn but i dont really feel like seeing one.ive been told im treatment resistant when it comes to dep so i just try to live my abnormal life lol id be surprised if im ever totally free of agoraphobia but i did manage to go to the supermarket with my partner for the first time since the summer after my scan app today, so that was a big thing i guess.the suicidal feelings have gone so for me thats the most important thing because its so distressing to feel that way.

This is a good thread!!.. i've had MH problems since i was 14. I've been pretty stable for nearly a year (with occasional blips)... The last one being just over a week before i found out i was pregnant. I dissociate so when i get really stressed basically go blank. Found myself in hospital after an OD... didn't understand why i'd been so emotional lately. Then when i found out i was pregnant it kind of clicked as to why. Felt so guilty thought i'd already harmed the baby but Dr said it's all fine. Still it really scares me that it's not just me i'm harming if i dissociate and OD or something now. I haven't since i found out but coming off all the meds i'm on makes me worry that i might. My cpn reckons it reduces because natural instinct sort of makes your brain realize it's not practical to be dissociating but doesn't stop me worrying.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant.

Hope you're all doing okay.
xx

:hugs: Em, I used Disociate mildly, because of stress, mostly it felt like I was out of my body watching myself doing something harmful, usually self harm. Very horrible feeling, felt like I couldn't control it. It's been nearly 2 years since I last had that, did alot of therapy, reduced stress in my life etc.

Good luck with your pregnancy :)

X

I was just about to see someone to talk to them about mental health as I though something was wrong with me.
Thinking about things now - the way I dont want my partner around , the way I dont want to go out but have to. The clingyness I am building with my mum who Ive never really got on with. The fact that I feel like everyones out to piss me off or something. I didnt attend my meeting with the person to talk to. I forgot about it. (I thought I have ADD but not going to get diagnosed now....)
Im not feeling any happiness about my pregnancy and not even excited - this isnt what it was supposed to feel like.
Is there such thing as Pre natal depression?

I thought I would join this thread...

Everything is too much lately for me apparently. Moved to a different country. New work and working crazy hours, a mc, TTC now taking ages.

I think I am going downhill.... One more sleepless night I suppose....

Oh Hope I'm sorry to hear things are getting on top of you xxx

Extremely hormonal tonight! Atleast I really hope its hormones.. I can't stop crying and I'm just so scared! I've lost all confidence in myself being able to do this and can't stop panic-ing! I have no one I feel comfortable turning to about this either and that's made it so much worse :(

*hugs Danti* i can imagine it's really scary but you will be fine once your baby arrives you will just naturally settle into it i'm sure. Think everyone is scared, especially when you've only got a week to go.

Just out of interest are any of you, or were you on any medication for your depression or sleeping tablets when you got pregnant. If so what did you do when you found out? i came of the one which was classed as high risk to development for the baby soon as i found out and dr agreed am still on two sleeping tablets which altho they say wont affect development may make the baby withdraw when its born. Obviously i want to come off them all completely have had big sleep problems for 5-6 years and i'm not sure if stopping them and going back to 1-2 hours sleep a night is healthy for the baby either. Seeing the Dr again tomorrow to discuss it. Anybody know if there's any tablets that are known to be safe for sleep when pregnant? Thanks a lot.

Hope no-one minds me jumping in here ? Not doing so well these days , am going to my gp this evening as I can feel all the warning signs creeping up again , all I want is sleep . Cant stand opening the curtians and just feel in a daze :(

*hugs* tiny, that's how I'm feeling atm :( it really is horrible!

Can't help with the sleeping pills sorry Em as I've only tried them once and they dint agree with me at all, so have had to just deal with my sleep problems which I've had since I was young. But I can say its one thing being pg has helped! It's the best I've slept in my life! So try without the pills before trying to find a substitute coz it may be the same for you? Hope it went well at the Drs xx

Hi ladies hope no-one minds me jumping in here. Ive had depression on and off for the last 6 years. Im going through a very tough patch at the moment and saw the GP again yesterday for my normal 4 weekly review and had my anti-depressants increased again. Im on the waiting list for NHS counselling but the waiting list is 9 months so last month I went private for an assessment of need.

All I do at the moment is sleep, I have 2 young girls who go to nursery 3 days a week and those 3 days are spent sleeping. My husband looks after the girls at weekend so I can sleep, take a break or whatever I need and im now starting to struggle looking after my 2 girls, as my patience is non existent :(.

Not read every post in this thread but I have read this page and *massive hugs* to danti, pregnancy has a great nack and destroying your confidence but once you have your baby in your arms hopefully your confidence will come back. The midwives on the post-natal wards are there to help, support and guide you. Dont let them discharge you and baby home until you are ready. I dont know your family situation but grab all the help and support you can. The first few weeks are the hardest and the more help you get the easier it is to deal with.

Sorry girls just a really quick reply to Em - I was on diazepam and sleeping tablets when I fell pregnant, I weaned of them in 12 weeks because I was alot better and didn't really need them, I'd been on the 8 years and shouldn't have been left on them so long anyway. My gp has prescribed me my sleeping tablets since having my baby, my sleep is never great and I'm not sure that'll ever sleep naturally again!

:hugs: to all!

I've taken sertraline for anxiety, couldn't recommend it enough x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back