Daytime Naps

Dustbunny

Reaction score
I was wondering how everyone deals with daytime naps. It's a nightmare trying to get Chloe down for a nap in the day she won't self settle, I have to cuddle and rock with her in my arms which I don't mind at all but even doing that she screams and works herself into a right state. Does anyone have any tips ideas that may help?

Should say it's only day naps. When I put her to bed in the evening she's wonderful she has her feed and cuddle then we put her down awake, she's normally asleep in 10 mins.

Hey hun....how old is your LO? Freya only started self settling at about 5 1/2 months...before that we had to rock and hold for ages and ages! Sorry not much help but thought I would let you know our experience!

HTH xx

Sent from my sparkly new iPhone

I was going to post this exact question! The only way K will sleep during the day is if I let her suckle on my boob! Butshe doesn't sleep well at all doing that and the minute I try to put her down, she wakes up. It is also making it hard to tell if she is hungry or just tired. I did get a boba wrap and have managed to get her to sleep in it once a day since Sunday. It is the only thing that has worked. I will be stalking this thread for other suggestions :)

I still rock Jack to sleep for his day time naps and he's 9 months! Granted he doesn't cry and is snoring within 3-4 mins but he's getting bloomin heavy lol. I've started laying him down in his cot by himself (with his lullabyes on) and leave the room for 5-10 mins. I have a video monitor so I can actually see whether he's self settling or not. He has 3 naps a day most days and for 2 of those yesterday he self settled! :) He's been able to self settle at night for about 3 months now too.

I guess it's just about perserverance but in my case it's easier because he never cries he just thrashes around and doesn't sleep lol. If he cried it'd be a different story. Hope you find an answer soon x

Angel is pretty bad with napping its getting her off to sleep which is the problem. I do rock her sometimes and sometimes I just sit by her crib and stroke her hair, but she can self settle sometimes too. I've found that timing is the key, usually she will want to nap around 1.5-2 hours after waking and if I catch her on the first yawn chances are she'll go down with a minimum of fuss. Sometimes I don't wait for her to get tired I just put her down 1.5 hours after her previous nap and usually that works well. Thats all I can offer really hun hope it helps x

wss I find that you need to anticipate when they need sleep and get the before they get angry. Harry was a nightmare but now I wait till I think he is tired then I take him away from his play and put him down with his blanket and dummy and within 5 mins he is asleep. You need to persevre and also know when they are too angry to go to sleep and then you need to pick them up!!
xxx

Smith she's 10 weeks.

I know she's still very young to be self settling which is why I have no issue with rocking her to sleep, besides I love my cuddles with her :D

I do try to catch the first yawn and have a cooldown period before trying to get her to sleep. Normally if I do catch that first yawn the tantrum doesn't last as long but she still has one not sure what else I could do.

Thank you everyone for your advice, I will persevere of course, if nothing else it's building up my arm muscles holding on to her while she had a tantrum lol.

Mrs k so glad I'm not the only one :)

Good luck hun :) I'm sure she'll soon learn to SS! You're doing fab! I miss the cuddle with my chunky monkey! She's too heavy now lol xx

Sent from my sparkly new iPhone

Wish I knew josh will only nap in his swing or in tiger position lol

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

maybe someone has a baby swing you can try? Lewis naps the best in my bed he could happily live in it I think.

I do a bit of both. If Sophie is really tired during the day then I'll put a blanket on her play mat and lie her down on it with the music playing and she will generally have a little whinge but more often than not settles herself off to sleep. When I say whinge I mean on off non meaningful crying rather than full on hysterical screaming.

Other than that I don't really force her to have a nap. If she falls asleep after her bottle then we have cuddles or I slip her down somewhere else but if she stays awake then I pop her in her chair and she watches me do. chores xx

Many usefull advice ladies!!:) After hubby started working again, my little girl also struggle to settle, but she's only 2 weeks so I guess she is entitled to some cuddles for now:D

Many usefull advice ladies!!:) After hubby started working again, my little girl also struggle to settle, but she's only 2 weeks so I guess she is entitled to some cuddles for now:D

make the most of all the cuddles! Sophie is already wanting less cuddles when shes awake and is more into looking everywhere all the time :(

A swing definitely sounds like a possibility, but don't know anyone I could borrow one off so will have to wait for OHs pay day hehe, I'm sure he'll be pleased :D

Wow I think we may actually have cracked it, since Saturday she's been almost perfect and fallen asleep in my arms with only about 30 secs worth of crying, I'm so thrilled :D

That's great! We tried all weekend to get Kallie to sleep without nursing and she was not happy. Just screamed... Not sure how I will do it alone today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back