Crisis Loan *update*

moss

Reaction score
Personal information deleted

Last edited:
They will take your income and expenditure into account when deciding whether you qualify for a crisis loan and I have always been on a very low income due to illness when I've needed to apply. They don't often give you the exact amount you ask for in my experience they have quite often offered me slightly less. They have always taken the repayments out from my incapacity benefit/income support directly (before it goes to my bank) and they tell you what the repayment schedule is when they offer you the loan. Doubt they'd be flexible with repayments but worth asking.

Good luck
Sarah xxx

hon, you need to get in touch with ofgen about that company's behaviour - they're not allowed to do that :evil: emphasize that you now need to take out a crisis loan etc
:hug: :hug:

i'd phone ogfen rather than write - tell them you're about to give birth any day and that you can't handle the stress of being cut off at any moment. i find that a bit of over-egging tends to get things moving a bit quicker, 'specially if you're incredibly grateful for any help you get :wink:

aww no :(

This may sound bad but can you not apply and say you need it for a new fridge and cooker or something?

My gas boiler is knackered. We can't afford to get it fixed/replaced therefore no heating in winter! Will they fund this?

Can you not set up a payment plan with the company?

At least it's summer so you don't need as much leccy or gas! :doh:

They would want half of it now and the rest within four months, on top of £120 DD. At the moment that isn't realistic at all. I'm glad it's summer, you're right!

Dig around somewhere, I am sure they cannot cut of electric if there are children in the house etc. Ask CAB about this. I may be wrong but it used to be the case. I recall a friend of mine not having her electric cut off when her kids were small.

I was actually thinking this would probably be the case. My husband has been trying to go to CAB but every time he goes in there is no one at reception and people just have a number from one of those queuing things... With 10-20 people in front of him. Last time, he waited 20 minutes and not even one person got in. And they don't answer the phone when we try to make an appointment! We'll get in one of these days...

moss said:
I was actually thinking this would probably be the case. My husband has been trying to go to CAB but every time he goes in there is no one at reception and people just have a number from one of those queuing things... With 10-20 people in front of him. Last time, he waited 20 minutes and not even one person got in. And they don't answer the phone when we try to make an appointment! We'll get in one of these days...

Unfortunately thats the CAB for you. you just have to wait and wait and wait :roll:

When baby is born you will be entitled to WTC (i presume you are low income?), CTC, child benefit and possibly housing benefit. You will probably get help with childcare so you could find a part time job/ evening job to tide you over for now. You may also be exempt from council tax which should help you out a bit.

Get down to the CAB again, take rations with you and wait until you see someone!

The trouble is we aren't eligible for much because we are both students. There view is we get help from the government already so are excluded from most things... At least that is what CAB told my husband a couple of months ago. I find this stupid because we are being penalised for trying to better ourselves and not need their help in the future. Also, we are getting LOANS as in we PAY THEM BACK so I don't see how they can justify that. They're penalising the baby more than anything.

Anyway, we're going to keep trying to get advice. In Edinburgh we were able to just call and make an appointment, so this feels like a strange system to us. A friend of a friend works at the job centre and we're hoping we can get help from them as well, but it's difficult to get in touch with him so we'll see...

:? I know it's not ideal but could you not give up being students until you are more financially stable?

I don't want to sound rude but you seem to think that you should just be GIVEN money. If you give up being a student and your OH gets a job to tide you through for a couple of years then you will be entitled to a load of benefits to help you out. You have to sacrifice things as well though! You can always go back to an education but your baby is worth more than a degree.

Maybe PM Suzie (Suzie&Faith) she was a uni student and gave up her course but I think she is doing an OU degree now (could be wrong...)

A degree doesn't better you in anyway and it certainly isn't bettering you if it means you can't pay your bills! :doh:

OK been trying to post a reply but for some reason my browser keeps crashing. So hacked this short and sweet one together in Firefox.

Read this page/link and call your previous supplier and get them involved.

http://www.energywatch.org.uk/help_and_ ... /index.asp

Also post and ask on this site I listed below about your energy problem. Good advice from people who seem to know what they are talking about. I found a post that says that if a key meter cannot be installed and there are children or OAP's living in the property they cannot cut off supply.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/

They don't only deal with bank charges and their forum here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/fo ... ity-water/

And go back to your present supplier on the phone, go higher up the food chain and get a bit tougher with them. If they have not sent you a bill etc they can't just threaten to disconnect you.

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back