What happens to student loan if...

laetitia85

Reaction score
What would happen to my student loan if I decide to be a stay-at-home mum?

Will i still have to repay it even though I don't have a job? Does anyone know how it works?

they can only deduct it from PAYE when you start earning over a certain amount - so if you are not earning a wage they can't deduct it :dance: :dance: :wink:

yeah but can that go on forever? :think: surely after a few years they'll ask me for some kind of money?

no they won't - but obviously the interest will add up over time. Then again, if you get to 60 without having paid it, they will write it off! Lol :D

Haven't paid any of mine off yet!

have a look at the student loans company website

www.slc.co.uk

as it depends what type of loan you have, with the type I have the money (repayments are only deducted if i'm earning) they start to charge you a % of your salary again if you start working, but if I never work again, the loan is written off 25 years after the april following my graduation.

Yep I called them cos i was worried about mine and they said they only take payments if you are earning over £15,000 and the loan gets written off once your 60.

Christina1979 said:
Yep I called them cos i was worried about mine and they said they only take payments if you are earning over £15,000 and the loan gets written off once your 60.

I would ask for that in writing - a friend of mine is getting her SL deducted from her wages, which are nowhere near £15k. Apparently they told her that after x amount of years, they will just start taking repayments anyway. Quite a worry imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back