Covering hands

Olive

Reaction score
Brody always scratches his face when his hands are free (I've managed to file nails down but still sharp!). A lot of his baby grows have fold down arms and if they don't I use baby socks as mitts don't stay on.

Do you think it's bad that his hands are covered so much? I don't know if I should just give him more of a chance not to scratch. He scratched himself once and shrieked. No wonder. They've caught me and it was sore!

Plus I want his hands free so he can play when he's ready.

Any advice/tips?

Thanks xx

Tyler's hands aren't covered and he only has 2 scratches one on his nose and one on his head. I'm the one who gets scratched!!

He loves sucking his hand and I'd hate to deny him that!

It can make his skin funny on his hands as there's no air getting to turn-on I did this with c and his palms got inflamed and his skin was peeling from the lack of air, they also had a cheesy smell from the sweat :( maybe give him things to grab on to, charlies always grabbing at his bob or blankets and teddies x

I keep Vincent's covered as much as possible, he likes to poke himself in the eye a bit too much!

I didn't cover Jack's but he did scratch himself a lot at first so I just filed or bit his nails a lot. Even now they need cutting twice a week! His right hand nails grow quicker than his left which is weird lol x

Is there something you could give him to cuddle. I've just started putting Georgia's comforter in her hands, and she definitely flails around less. Xxx

I think if you leave his hands uncovered he will learn to control his movements and not to scratch sooner... I wouldn't cover his hands all the time xx

we covered for a long time, my lo was terrible at scratching. we mainly did at night and just tried to keep an eye on her during the day.
now i cut her nails at least every other day!

Oz wore mits mostly for the first few weeks, but his hands started to get a bit flakey between his fingers so we had to take them off and start trimming his nails. First few times OH bit them off, but when Oz was 9 weeks old I trimmed them with TT nail clippers, while he was sleeping and it was fine. Ever since then I've done them every week, only now I do them while he's awake and not sleeping and he finds it intriguing what I'm doing lol

Kayden is a nightmare for scratching, even with nails cut, not tried filing them, worse enough trying 2 get them cut. He wears mits at night time, but they always fall off, duno why they dont make the elastic bit a bit tighter. During the day I keep them off to let his hands breathe & also to let him grab things ect.

The socks over hands is a great idea btw. I might try that tonight, he has loads that are too wee now.

xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the replies ladies. Ive kept them free this afternoon and watched him. Few scratches already but agree they need to be able to breathe. Will keep it up and cover at night.

LM the socks work a treat. Love next baby grows as well where you can fold material over their hands.

B has a Sophie but can't quite grasp her. He just likes licking her lol.

X

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330541028.836651.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330541028.836651.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 10
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330541049.105472.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330541049.105472.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 9
Omg Olive! I took these today of Tyler! How weird!

B is absolutely gorgeous tho!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330541532.496085.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330541532.496085.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 11
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330541587.700929.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330541587.700929.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 10
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330541602.632757.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330541602.632757.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 8
I think if you leave his hands uncovered he will learn to control his movements and not to scratch sooner... I wouldn't cover his hands all the time xx

I was then coming back to say this too coz forgot earlier. And also that the more their hands are uncovered the more they can feel and start to explore different textures etc.

Thanks ladies. Maybe that's why he's not grabbing sophie! Pretty much a given eh? Silly mum!

How funny pinky! Tyler is so yummy!! Xx

Awwww all your LO's are so cute.

Where is the wee giraffe thing from? is it a teething thing or just a toy?

xxxxx

It's a Sophie the giraffe it's a teething toy. Expensive, about £13 but I love it.

I got mine from mothercare LM. Heard nothing but good reviews. He likes liking her and her squeak! X

Owen tended o keep his hands in a clenched shape when we used the mitts and baby grows. When we stopped he was much happier but inevitably we get scratches even with filed down nails!! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back