Grobags for tiny babys & Dummies

Tiggy26

Reaction score
I have a 4 week prem baby and occasionaly when i settle him down he manages to kick his blanket off despite the fact ive tucked it in so well!

He hates swaddling so ive decided to go for the grobag, problem is.....everywhere does 0-3 months! he is currently only 5lb 9oz and is wearing "tiny baby" clothes (even newborn is still a little big)

Any suggestions?

Also his hands get freezing cold so ive been putting scratch mits on him but again he just manages to get them off, he seems to love sucking on his fingers but im worried he will scratch & hurt himself, would using a dummy at 11 days old be too early?

Thanks

Theresa xx

Hi Tiggy!

I think you are meant to wait till your baby is a certain weight before you use a grobag -

http://www.gro-group.co.uk/grobag/sizes-togs-and-what-to-wear/

Their website says 7lb.

You do get prem dummies (think I've seen MAM ones) so you could give them a try.

Have you tried Mothercare or Next's babygros? They have special integrated scratchmitts and you fold the end of the cuff over......I love them and they saved poor Mhairi's face from getting shreaded, and she can't get them off!

Mothercare do them on all multipacks of sleepsuits, in sizes up to 0-3 months. Next do them on all sleepsuits up till 3-6 months!

Can you tell I'm a fan!?!?!

xxx

I know the official gro bag from mothercare has extra buttone under the arms for smaller babies and they say you can use it from 7lb when most gro bags are from 10lb. I think the 7lb one is the smallest you can get.

Don't worry too much about how cold his hands are too much. Just feel his chest or back and that will give you an idea of how hot/col he is. If you go to mothercare or mama's and papa's they do the babygros where you can fold them over to cover little hands, they were quite handy in early days :hug:

matalan tiny baby is great , and there sleep suits have scracth mitts included .
asda and tesco also so a tiny baby size , leland fitted well into up to 6lb baby , and now up to 7.5 aswell as still 6lb

he fitted into the mc 5lb baby stuff but not in the legs ! there wer too long !

im using tommee tippee dummies and he finds them quite hard to keep hold of but tbh he doesnt really need them at mo

i swaddle him with his arms out , so i literally wrap him up tight but with his arms out as he like to sleep with them above his head , have u tried this ? i just make sure he sleeps in a sleep suits with all in one mitts . his cot isnt cold anyway at about 21 .

baby smile was 5lb 5 when he was born and we swaddled him with his arms out from day one - we used the swaddle blankets from babies r us http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/B ... ref=Search
because he HATED his arms being tied down.

Fortunately he is now over 7lb so has gone into the grobag sleepign bags (which are a lifesaver) but I did think about getting somethign like this inbetween - you might have to order from germany though as I can't find a UK stockist...

http://www.hoppediz.de/EN/index.htm go to shop then romper bags...

He has a mam newborn soother which has been the right size since he was born so should be fine for your little one.. http://www.shop-com.co.uk/MAM_Newborn_t ... 7-p!.shtml

Hey, I just want to second all of the above advice really, all good tips. But also wanted to say that my son used to pull his scratch mits off as well and we took to putting socks on his hands which worked really well. Sounds odd, I know, but we were messing around one day and it kinda stuck. Generally socks are longer and grip better so you can pull them further up their arm and they are more difficult to pull off. Ok, ok, you might think I'm crazy, but honestly it worked!! x

I put socks on Jakes hands to stop him scratching himself, they stay on better than mitts.

the baby grows i have - have fold over mitts at the arm ends

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back