scratch mits

Lou

Reaction score
Hey

My HV told me not to use scratch mits because babies need to explore their faces with their hands. Yeah so now Isaac looks like he has done 10 rounds with my cat. I don't like the scissors or nail clippers yet as Isaac's nail are so tiny so I've been filing his nails with an emery board when he is asleep but he has still scratched himself. Today I used scratch mits but he started sucking them and when I changed him they were all wet and yucky.

What are you guys doing about nails and scratch mits?

Lou :)

I tryed to use them when jamie was younger but he got frustrated and didnt like them!! i Know its so hard thou, their nails are so small and they scratch themselves so easily!
I havent used them since as jamie loves looking at his hands and sucking on them! lol
Id say go with your insticts, if hes scratching himself quite a lot then use them, cant believe your MW said not to use them thou, ive not heard of this! There is way to much conflicting advice out there...it really is confusing for a first time mum!!!

Rubie wore scratch mits for 4 weeks, but she kept pulling them off. Her scratches were so bad I couldn't let her go without them so I bought some sleepsuits with built in mits (you just fold over the sleeves at the end). Then i got some baby nail trimmers from Mothercare and trimmed them while she was asleep and no more sratches!!

Here is a picture of her showing off her built in mits and a particularly nasty scratch lol!!

21jan4.jpg

Reece wore mits for at least 6 weeks. I was too scared to cut his nails before then and when I fimally did I cut his thumb!!! Felt so guilty but he was ok after a few mins. Phew!

I was lucky cos Reece never learnt to put anything in his mouth till he was over 2 months.
xx

I bite Ella's nails myself when she's feeding, your mouth is better to use than scissors as you can feel the end of their finger. It's a lot easier :)

I've heard of people biting them themselves rosie but I scared in case I ripped one off or summat wid my teeth. Is that possible?

I do the same rosieroo. you can't bite or pull their nail totally off, you just feel for the skin line with your teeth, it's pretty easy.

I was advised against scratch mitts by the MW at the birth centre, for the same reasons, they like exploring with their hands. On our list of things to fetch in was an emery board. I can understand where they are coming from, and will give it a go with out mitts, but will have them straight on if she needs them. i think ill prob bite her nails too, im terified of the clippers!

hearts81 said:
I've heard of people biting them themselves rosie but I scared in case I ripped one off or summat wid my teeth. Is that possible?

Give it a go, honestly you'll be fine :)

I pick or bite Brody's nail off.

He wore sctach mitts only in the hospital cos I couldn't do that much with him cos of my tear.

I've got about 50 pairs of scratch mitts too, I had ones from when Mason was a baby, plus anyone that gave me any baby stuff alway filled up half the bag with mitts too!!

Is anyone needs any drop me a pm LOL

I bite Ella's nails too! oh's mum told me about this i thought i didnt want to at first but after not getting anywhere with the nail scissors I gave it a go. Their nails are really thin and bite of easily. Give it a go lol

I tried to bite Rubie's nails but couldn't do it so used the clippers and I find them really easy, I've never cut her. I file them afterwards too as they are still quite sharp. :D

ha ha dan tried to cut alanas and nipped the top of her finger.. my god it wudnt stop bleeding lol and it was such a tiny nick, she let out a yelp but didnt cry, so she was fine.

but i normally use scissors when shes asleep, i use scratch mits alot too, cos she scratches her excema alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back