7 week old grunting, rubbing face and waving arms

OzGirlNat

Reaction score
My DS is 7 weeks old tomorrow and for the past week or so has been constantly rubbing his face, waving his arms and grunting.

He's grunted at night from about 2 weeks old and I thought it was just a noise he made during his sleep. I also thought the face rubbing was a sign of tiredness and try to pub him down for a nap as soon as I notice him getting a bit fussy. However, for the past week, he seems to be constantly flailing his arms about and rubbing his face while grunting. It doesnt matter whether he's just woken up, been up for half an hour or is due for a nap. So I don't think it's related to tiredness. I also don't think it's hunger as it doesnt matter how long it's been since his last feed, he still does it. In fact the only time he's still and quiet is when he's eating.

We swaddle him at night as the constant flailing keeps him awake. We have to keep scratch mits on him constantly as he pokes his eyes and scratches himself. And when I'm trying to get him to nap, I have to sit with him and hold his arms. I think have to keep going to him every 15 minutes to hold his arms again every time he stirs a little otherwise his arms wake him up.

Does anyone know what he might be trying to tell me? Will he grow out of this once he has more control over his arms? If so, when? It's quite distressing to watch and listen to and I really don't know what to do.

hey there
our Lo (now 16 mnths) used to do similar and I would hold his arms while he fell asleep, it was funny after the event!! this was around 6-9 weeks old, at about 9 weeks we put him on his tummy to sleep as he prefred it so much and would wake constantly when on his back even in tight swaddle. This isnt for everyone I know but we had an agelcare monitor so that helped ease the worries.

He will grow out of it soon I'm sure, Hes probably just getting used to having his arms and trying out his voice a little.

sorry to not have been much help but wanted to share what we went though, hope others may offer some more advise....

xx

Kynon did this a lot too early on, he's now got better arm control and only really does it when he's crying or playing so I'm sure your LO will stop doing it so much soon. Out of interest what does he sleep in? We found Kynon was better in his pram or my sisters Moses basket, we have a crib and I think he found it too big at first. Are you breast feeding? Kynon also went through a phase doing it when I was feeding him so was quite hard word holding him still sometimes!

My Stanley is the same lol hes only a couple of days younger than yours so maybe it's their age?? I find when I put Stanley down to sleep on his front he settles better but like Minchin said its not for everyone!!

Stanley has also improved since going into his big cot as like you said with the random arm movements he kept banging his arms on the side of the moses basket keeping him awake lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back