Controlled crying

Lacey's Mummy

Reaction score
With Lacey I didn't do until she was 6 months but after doing it for 3 days and nights, it was brilliant.
From what age do you think you can start? Charleys only 5 weeks so not sure if it's too young but he's so clingy I'm thinking about doing it. I have to wait until he's asleep until I put him down in his bouncer or cot, if he's awake he cries then gets worked up until I pick him up. It makes doing housework or looking after lace very hard then during the night I can't put him in his cot awake, I've got to wait about 20mins which is hard when I'm tierd! Last night I tried putting him down after his night feed awake and it took over 2 hours to get him to sleep and that was because I gave in and fed him again then let him fall asleep in my arms!
What would you do guys?

i think katie was about 6-7 weeks when i started it with her, infact, it was new years eve and she's the 10th november, so yea about that age! i know people will say i'm like the spawn of satan or something for doing it so young, but it really worked for us! within days she was self settling at bedtime and it was fantastic! with E, cos K was s young aswell, she just had to get used to being left! from her being a couple of weeks old i'd put her in her bed and let her cry when i was bathing K and sorting stuff out with her, there wasnt really much choice! it was either let her cry and sort K out, or sort her out and leave K and IMO, it doesnt do them any harm to cry for a few mins!

i think its a case of knowing your own baby and your own situation, you know when they're crying cos they need something like bum changing, milk, wind etc, but you also know when they just want a cuddle!

Thanks Hun, I keep thinking I'm mean cos he's so young and it is nice having these cuddles but I want him to learn to settle himself so it's easier in the long run! It's so hard to do stuff, he cries when I go to the loo, ive got to rush bathing Lacey just in case he wakes up or he's got to be in the bathroom while I'm bathing her and me having a bath is completly out the question, I've got to wait for Tim to get home at the weekend or ask sil to watch him!

I'm the same Alice in the way that Lucas had to get on and cry because Jacob was only 11 months old when he was born so I couldn't be in two places at once iykwim. Sometimes Jacob was left to cry in his playpen if I was busy with Lucas. Jacob never needed CC he always went down awake and self soothed, the kid just loves his kip! Lucas still goes off on his own in a way but he wakes in the night ALOT! He just wants his dummy or a sip of water but I think drastic action is needed to get him to self sooth. Gonna read up on CC I think.

I don't think he is too young, and I don't think your mean. Lacy needs attention too so there will be time he will just have to wait. I must admit tho, hearing them crying away can be upsetting and stressful but I am immune to it now lol xx

Thanks you guys! After I wrote the post I thought everyone would have ago saying he's too young! Gonna try it from tonight after each feed! x x

nah we're a supportive bunch on here like! and i think we're all quite easy going, like, each to their own sort of thing! i defo wouldnt rush bathing lacey just incase he wakes up or anything, if you're bathing her and he wakes up then i'd just leave him to it! like toon said, she needs your attention too! i know it is really hard trying to juggle them, even tho i was living with my mum when E was born, they never watched her or owt, so i was constantly juggling! infact, i remember my one wish for xmas last year - to have a bath! which i told my parents and after 5 mins i got shouted saying the baby needed seeing to :wall:

I used to feed them, wind them, swaddle them and put them down. Also with night feeds I never turned on any lights, never spoke to them or even made eye contact. Everything was gentle, quiet and dark. They all went off straight away after a night feed. I didn't even leave the bed room, just sat in the bed while OH slept. Good luck for tonight xx

I haven't on purpose controlled cried but like the other two have said its a case of having too monty really helps me out he's six and understands that mams busy but we still have to do homework reading etc so herbie sits in his chair. But dolly is two and telling her wait a min for a drink or somthing is a little harder so sometimes I have to leave herbie cry why I get on with other things and he is great bless him think he is just so use to it. As soon as I am done I go and give him a little cuddles for being a good boy

I used to feed them, wind them, swaddle them and put them down. Also with night feeds I never turned on any lights, never spoke to them or even made eye contact. Everything was gentle, quiet and dark. They all went off straight away after a night feed. I didn't even leave the bed room, just sat in the bed while OH slept. Good luck for tonight xx

thats just how I feed herbie it sounds harsh but it works

i did the same with night feeds! i got a little night light too that literally just lit up the room enough to see to put the milk in th bottle!

I used my phone lol, was just enough to see what I was doing and change a nappy if required xx

That's what I did with lace. She was brill at going down awake. I've got a dim light in our room so I can see but I normally feed, burp but with charley, got to wait until he's asleep to put him down. I would try his dummy to settle him but he doesn't always take it!

I have started doing cc a teenie bit with Paige as shes a bit of a bugger for not sleeping in the day and will only nap being held. I have the dilema of living with parents though so if I let her cry at night everyone wakes up. Shes so loud when shes talking, well more like shouting, for her 5am feed (which I swear she doesnt need) that she wakes everyone up unless Im right next to her asap. Once I move out, shes going to be left for a while.

I didnt want to do it until now, as I kind of think if a baby is crying at such a young age then maybe they might need something, even if it is just a cuddle. Obviously, as the other girls have said, sometimes its not even meant to be cc, it just happen to get by! If you think its whats needed though and it'll make you both happier then go for it. :)

Annabelle is 9 times outta 10 good at going down awake. but today and a few other times recently she has cried. i wonder if its wind and i cant be sure so i pick her up. today i couldnt get any wind up and she was still crying?! the reason im saying thsi is coz i found when i left her to cry the crying got wayyyy worse and she ended up in a right state. dont fancy that again!? x

I get worried about him crying more cos I heard they can get colic due to gulping air when crying!!

I wouldn't ever judge anyone for using or not using controlled crying, it's just something I could never do! However I'm lucky and Seb will go down awake and fall asleep (when he's not poorly that is).

I hadn't heard that colic could be caused by this! Everything I've read on colic says they don't know what causes it.

Really hope it works quickly for you x

if colic was caused by crying wouldnt it be like swings and roundabouts?! im not sure they're connected, my two used to cry shed loads and never had it lol1

thats just how I feed herbie it sounds harsh but it works

I do the same. Just turn the hall light on so there is a small slither of light in the room so I can see what Im doing. It does really work. I dont talk to him when Im feeding him during the bedtime routine either. I talk to him loads when changing and in the bath though. It definately works.

if colic was caused by crying wouldnt it be like swings and roundabouts?! im not sure they're connected, my two used to cry shed loads and never had it lol1

Lucky!!! If i had to choose between winning the jackpot on the lottery and never having a colicky baby again, Id choose not to have the colic!!:shakehead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back