Confused (and a little bit disappointed)

Welshy1

Reaction score
Hi all,

At the grand old age of 38 I discovered this morning (home test) that I'm expecting my first baby. Have rung Docs (thinking I'd have to do a test there) but all I have to do is go to reception and fill in some forms. I wasn't expecting fireworks and jugglers but am a left a little flat by it all.

Have been TTC for nearly a year so am chuffed it's finally happened but think I'm gonna have to purchase some more HTK's just to confrim to myself that it's all really happening!

:shock:

Congratulations!!! when you see the midwife at your booking in appointment things will seem more exciting!!! My doctor wasn't bothered either!!! xxxx

I felt the same, i found out last week, called the doc, she said to make an appointment but there was a 2 week wait, she ummed for a bit then said yes thats fine you will be 7 weeks by then! So i have my first docs app next week, but thats not even with the mid wife. im worried that i will then have to wait ages to see mid wife, and then scan will be late.....:( x

hi hun, congratulations!! i think that's a bit mean of your gp's! i went to see my gp yesterday to tell him i'm preggers and he spent about 20 mins with me, checked my hear, my lungs, told me my due date, told me what to expect in terms of care going forward. i'd call them back and say you want to see someone as you haven't been pregnant before and need some info! xx

yep i thought that when i first went to the doctors after my bfp he didnt do anything at all!

Wait until you see the midwife thats when you get the hold check up and preggers chat and it seems more real :) x

Congratulations! They don't seem to make much fuss, doctor checked nothing just sent a letter to hospital for scan appointment. I only had my first midwife app yesterday and found out at 4 weeks! I did 7 tests in all, just kept thinking I dreamed it or test was wrong lol!

Last edited:
Congratulations hun!
This time last week (exactly) I found out I was having my first child too,
After also trying for a year with my partner.

I had to do a digital test the following day because I truly didn't believe I was pregnant! I rang the doctor and told them I've just found out I'm pregnant, they didn't seem bothered and just gave me the number for the midwife. So I rang her and she actually congratulated me! My first appointment with her was last Tuesday and it went really well. Midwives are much more 'excited' about the situation because I guess pregnancy is their speciality and it's a joy for them to be part of your pregnancy journey. Good luck for the first appointment and have a happy and healthy pregnancy! xx

Sorry you are feeling deflated by the doc :-( I'm sure the midwife will be more exciting. Congratulations on your pregnancy :yay: x

Congratulations on your good news. I'm an "older" mum too 37, but will be 38 by the time the bump lands. This is our second but it's still just as exciting!

I'd call the Dr's surgery back and ask for an appointment. I live in NZ but lived in the UK for the first 5 months of my first pregnancy and I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed by the system over there too. It seems as though you have to kick up a fuss to get anywhere.

Anyway, hope the rest of your pregnancy is plain sailing!

Hi hun, CONGRATS. Im 34 and its my first too. I went to Drs and they gave me a routine appointment straight away and I expected big things but she was so calm and gave me 'that look' when I said I was only 4 weeks. She told me to book a midwife appointment which cheered me up only to find Id have to wait 4 weeks for it then when I did see her, that was all a bit of a let down too :(

Im sure it will get better and more exciting :) although, Im 9 weeks now and its still boring and Im also losing my sanity lol
X

Congratulations for your pregnancy!!! It's sooo exciting when you finally get BFP.
The truth is that GP's usually look at you just as another patient and don't show any excitement.
I was lucky with my midwife appointment 2 days ago, which went really well. The midwife was very cheerfull and made me feel so comfortable around her. She was smiling all the time and was answering all my questions with smile.
Wishing you all the best and I hope you'll have a wonderful midwife for your first appointment!

Thanks all, am glad I'm not alone in this! Am bursting to tell people but trying to keep it a secret for now. Although my sis and sis in law are dying to tell my bro in law and bro about it! For the first time ever I grew a backbone and asked to be contacted by my Doc as I'm on medication for high blood pressure and gastric reflux. Have had meds changed and informed them I'm coming in Tues to have my blood pressure checked. I'm not normally one to rock the boat but it's important to me. Congratulations to all the other "mum's to be" on here. I've loads of support in my life but it's nice to talk to women who are going through it the same time as me and to those who've already been there and have words of wisdom for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back