Confused about periods!

katietateypot

Reaction score
I know this may make me look totally stupid but i always hear about average cycles being 28 days and olvulating right in the middle.

I have irregular cycles so after i ovulate am i more than likely going to get AF 14 days after and will my cycles work from the month before?

This month my cycle lasted 26 days so this is day 1 of my new cycle. I am so confused by it all and trying to figure out when to start testing for ovulation in this cycle :roll:

Hope this all makes sense and hoping someone can help me out! :)

xxx

Hi Katie,

All I can say is to look out for symptoms of ovulation such as cervical mucus. My cycles are irregular too so I'd use ovulation tests to determine when you ovulate. I average a 29 day cycle and ovulated cd 12 and 13 so v early. Everyone is different so get some tests and see how you get on.

Good luck!

Xx

I do have OPK's and planning on using them this month for the first time :)

When i get a positive OPK is it likely i will get AF 14 days after or could it be different. It seems to be a rule most people go by! :roll:

My cycles are also very messed up, i thought that they had averaged out to 33days. That is until this month when i ovulated on day 31:eh:. My doctor advised me to start testing for ovulation on day 7 as my cycles have also been known in the past to be 25days long. he said that people with irregular cycles can ovulated irregular too sometimes.
After ovulation it doesnt mean ur period will come 14days after. But 14days after ovulation you can test for preg as it takes roughly that long for implantation to take place and everything else:) hope this helps xx

Thank you that makes a lot of sense. :)
I will keep testing for ovulation in mind aswell as i have had a cycle as short as 21 days not too long ago :roll: bloody pain isnt it!
I used to be very regular 27 days so dont know what happened! :wall2:

i was regular before i had my first. then i went on the pill and then came off in march and i have had irregular since. My body doesnt match the pattern as other womans, nowhere near so you are not alone if something confuses u :) xx

I know what you mean. Ive had cycles at 31 days, 33 days and 45days...but my last one was 28 days long and I've not got the foggiest where my OV is. I think I might have caught it with a OPK test the other weekend as both lines were extremely dark but now as CD28 approaches tomorrow and I'm getting period twinges, I feel like we've not been successful this time. (Mind you I've had all the same symptoms I had when I was pregnant back in Feb so perhaps I shouldn't write it off just yet - wait and see tomorrow!)

x

Ah these irregular bloody cycles lol , mine average at 33 days and can sometime be 44 , i think i ov on day 24 but thats going on temp charting , could you do that ? temping your bbt when you wake is a good indicator and you can use a site such as fertility friend to help its easy and good to keep track. My leutul (sp) phase is only 10 days so a short on instead of the 14 days , i dont really know why or what that means though and opk's are good x

Can't having a short luteal phase prevent the egg from implanting properly? I just see u have been ttc for quite a while, have u had this checked ou my doctors at all? Just found this on a website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luteal_phase it maybe worth a look. Xx

Last edited:
Kirstymichelle- The luteal phase is normally 14 days long and on an average it can be anywhere from 10 to 17 days long. If your luteal phase lasts anything under 10 days it is considered a luteal phase defect.
Not meaning to panic you or anything i have read that some doctors beilves that anything under 12days is a defeat. This means that anyone with a luteal phase defect may not be able to sustain a pregnancy because the uterine lining in these women begins to break down, bringing on the menstrual bleeding and causing an early miscarriage. But doctors can do something about it.
I had a scare that i had a short luteal phase of just 2 days:eh: I OV on day 31 of my cycle when they average out at 33days :( but AF has held off and i am now on day 42 (i think, i have lost count as i am counting dpo which is now 11:))
Irregular cycles are a pain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back