Confused about maternity pay...

SmallPurpleCat

Reaction score
Hi all,

OK... so I haven't done a lot of reading but I'm not sure how it works and I knew you girls would be able to help.

My understanding is that you get 6 months full pay and then between 6-9 months it goes down - but how much does it go down to?

Thanks

U get 6 weeks at 90% of ur wage then the following 33 weeks u get approx £125 a week or 90% of wage (whichever is least) u can have 39 weeks off then a further 13 without pay if u wish xx

Last edited:
Mine basically is full pay as I only earn that much a week anyway! Really hope mines not less than £125 a week!

I think the minimum is what emma says but some employers pay more. I get 6 months full pay, 3 months SMP and 3 months unpaid, not every company pays 6 months full pay, some places it's a lot less. Check with your employer to be sure x x

Last edited:
I think SMP is £124.33 i think a week as i've just received a letter from work saying that this is what it is... also if your still on SMP next april if they increase SMP you will also be eligable for the rise!!!

I work for the NHS so am waiting to speak to HR so I know what I'll be entitled to but I agree it's not simple cause everywhere is different

I think the minimum is what emma says but some employers pay more. I get 6 months full pay, 3 months SMP and 3 months unpaid, not every company pays 6 months full pay, some places it's a lot less. Check with your employer to be sure x x[/QUOTE

wow that's ace!!

I think it depends on your employer, they don't have to pay you anything above the SMP as far as my understanding of it.

I get 3months 90% and 6 months 50% plus SMP and 3 months unpaid if I want it.

Sol, I work for the NHS too, just googled Agenda for Change Mat pay arrangements. As far as I can work out it is 8 weeks full pay then 18 weeks half pay + Statutory Maternity Pay. Let me know if you find out anything different when you speak to HR!

Ours is 16 weeks full pay and 23 weeks SMP :)

Mine is 6 weeks at 90% 12 weeks half pay plus stat then 8 weeks stat. There were longer options but I don't want that long off.

I work for a local authority.

Thanks for all your replies. It's so different depending on your employer! I'm pretty sure mine is 6 months full pay so I just need to check what happens for 6-9 months.

Was getting a little worried about this one as my appointment isn't until a week on Monday with HR.

I think I get 8 weeks at full pay and then 18 weeks at 50% plus SMP so i think it will work out roughly the same :)

Ford is one of the best employers for maternity pay, they give their staff a full year's salary for a year's maternity leave!!

I bet they have a lot more men working for them than women so can afford that!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back