Concerned about speech

MrsR

Reaction score
Sebastian will be 14 months old this month and he barely speaks. He says 'ta', 'mama', 'dada' 'umma' (summer) and that's about it! The thing is he can understand us. For example if we say 'is it lunchtime?' he'll go to the kitchen, if we ask him if it's time to go to school he goes to the front door, ask him where things are (like his books, clothes, shoes etc) he will go and get them. He just doesn't say very much. I don't know if it's because he's the second child and DD tends to get stuff for him if he points to it (despite us asking repeatedly for her not to) or what. We always make sure if he does things like holding his hands up to be picked up we say 'do you want to come up? Ok, I'll lift you up.' for example but is there anything else we can do? When should I be getting really concerned?

Ignore any mistakes-my iPhone is addicted to autocorrect!

My lo is 14 months and doesnt speak, he is being brought uo bilingual though. He says mamma dadda, papi (daddy in italian) he waves when we say bye and when oh says ciao, so shows understanding, same for peek a boo, he does the actions in both languages. I wouldnt be top concerned hun, i was freaking about that he isnt talking but im more relaxed and know he will get there in hisown time. I just talk loads to him and do a running commentary on everything i do iykwim..mummys washing up, mummys having a drink etc etc just do what ur doing. My friends twons are 20months and barely say anything!

Thank you for your reply! Seb waves when we say bye too. It's really helpful to know that I'm not the only one with a quiet baby! :D

Marley babbles all the time but just not recognisable words. I was so worried but i know its normal as babbling for them is talking! He will get there hun. At this stage they are like sponges and justnliterally absorb everything. He said dirty once and hasnt said it since! Random! My friends son is roughly the same age as my lo and seb, and he says mamma and dadda and ta! And thats it! We should update in a month or two and see where they are at! Xxx

I really wouldn't worry hun, he is still so young. They are all develop in different areas at different rates. Oscar doesn't say anything, he says mumumumumum when he's excited and gah, brah etc but nothing that translates as anything. But he understands things, he knows to 'look at this' etc

If Oz is saying mama, dada etc when he is your LOs age I will defo be really pleased.

He can high-five, but can't wave, he thinks waving is a bit mental I think lol

He grabs my keys and goes to the front door and tries to reach to open it, and he knows how to brush his hair and gives kisses without prompting. So his areas for development are just not in the area of speech atm!

They all get there in the end xxxxx

Amy-that's a good idea updating in a couple of months!

Thanks for the reassurance ladies! Sounds like he's just developing in different areas x

Hey Helen :) . Im glad your feeling reassured I just though I'd add that Aoibheann is nearly 21 months and is only starting to speak now . So dont worry every lo is different x

Thank you x x they really are all different aren't they?! I was scared you'd all be like 'my lo's been speaking since 10 months old!' lol x

Seb's doing him sweetie! Charley only says mumma, daddy, yeah and hiya.
I'm not worried though cos he still understands alot! x x

joshua says nana for banana will copy us if we say teacher - (strange i know....????) mama, dada, rara (his godmothers name is robyn and she lives with us so calls her rara)and is learning the 'pah' sound at the moment. He wont be speaking yet he's only one hun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he soudns like he's doing wonderful developmentally with regards to speech!!!!!!!! i believe it was titch who said at 2 if they lo's arent speaking then they consider it something to look at or be a bit more aware of!!!!!!!!!! (sorry titch if it wasnt you hun).........like seb joshua understands LOADS! he has a dump truck toy and if you say 'joshy whers the dump truck#' he goes and picks it up, or ' joshy wheres humperdink' - i named his toy humperding!!!!!!!! x

Aw!! Too cute! Seb has a Harry toy that he'll go and get if asked 'where's Harry' (dreading us meeting anyone called Harry-he'll get well confused!) lol x thank you for replying! It's reassuring that he doesn't seem to be doing too badly.

h says a few works mumma, dadda, hiya, hello, no, uh oh, bad (because i say this to the dog lol) and he says something to call my mum but i cant quite make out what it is!!!
my friends little one says mum and dad but nothing else at the mo and he is 10 days younger than h!!

Jasper is 16mnths and very rarely says mama, he has just learnt 'boo'

and he speaks his own gobbledygook language most of the time :) I am not worried about it at all!

Thanks for the reply! x glad it's not just Seb :) love the made up babble!

Bump

Helen just bumping this to see how seb is doing after xmas?

We have significant improvement! Mamma is more clear, dadda, ta is a fave and hiya. When he says 'grazie' its more like 'ta ta'...so he gets the two syllables thing...He shows alot of understanding especially with the two languages, he can follow simple instructions both in english and italain, and does this like clap hands and give me five, when spoken to in both languages. He 'talks' alot more in the sense that its gobbledy-gook, but i guess its good hes making a lot more sounds. Its amazing what difference a month makes,

Last edited:
I agree it's crazy how much a month can make a difference!

H can now say look, dog, bat(cat), ma (grandma), da (grandad), nanna, gone, duck, up and down.

He now says mama and gives us kisses and if you ask for a kiss he'll give you one. He will also blow people a kiss too. Understanding stuff is alot easier now and recognises certain things like go and sit...... Go and get..... Etc

How's seb doing Helen?X

Wow I was literally just thinking about this! He now says 'mama' 'dada' 'ummer' 'cat' 'ta' 'up' and 'out' he is also babbling loads and making sentences with his babble iygwim? He's also nodding and understands so much more! It's scary how much he's changed just over Christmas! Sebastian also gives high five, blows kisses, claps, dances etc on asking. Also if I ask him if he's being a monkey he'll make an 'ooh ooh ah ah' noise, if I ask home what does a lion say he goes 'arrggghh' (roar). It's more fun for us figuring out what he means like we were at a party and the music stopped and he came and got me, took me over to where the music was coming from and started dancing then stopped and held out his hands in his 'all gone' gesture. Well cute!!! I could go on for days! Lol xxx
Glad to hear everyone's LO are coming on leaps and bounds! Thank you for thinking of us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back