Colposcopy in pregnancy

MsKittyCat

Reaction score
so i just had a voicemail from my doctor and she said there are slight changes in my smear test result (i had it the day before my missed period) and that i need to go for a Colonoscopy. Really worried now! Can you even have them when pregnant? I watched a series on TV before and this lady had these cancer cells and as she was pregnant they left it and said the stretching etc during labour would basically distroy the cells itself, so it would not need burning or whatever it is they do. A fair few ladies i know have had this done and were ok.

God im panicking now!!!

Have you had a colposcopy before? Basically they just look at your cervix and you can see it on a screen next to you. They put some dye on it to highlight the abnormal cells.

I had one done in what would have been the first week of my 2ww. I also had a biopsy taken. I had no idea that a week and a half later I would get a BFP but hey presto.

But basically if you are pregnant then the actual colposcopy itself shouldn't be a problem. If they need to do treatment then they will hold off until after your pregnancy.

I'd say go to the appointment and tell the, you're pregnant and they will tell you how things work from there. It's very important to keep your abnormal cells monitored!

X

Last edited:
I would ask more questions. A very small percentage of abnormal smear results actually result in cancer even without treatment. Unless they have found something specific that makes you higher risk my personal feeling is that I would wait until after the pregnancy to address it. Even if they say the tests are safe it would still worry me and if they are not going to do anything about it until after the baby is born anyway I'm not sure what the point is. If something happened to the baby I'd find it hard to come to terms with even if it wasnt the cause I'd always wonder. I believe the risk of cervical cancer during pregnancy is low as the hormones surpress its growth. Sometimes the sudden changes in hormones after birth speed up its grown so its important to have it checked then.

From what I've heard your smear will come back as abnormal if you're pregnant. I would speak to your health professional about it. It could be pregnancy related. Good luck xx

I've been told I'm not allowed my smear test during my pregnancy, I suspect it's more likely as the previous poster has said that it's because the cervix can alter during pregnancy.

Does your doctor know you are pregnant?

I thought you were always meant to have your smear in the middle of your cycle and if you don't then you have more chance of getting abnormal results.
Also you were pregnant and like Slb said that could be the reason the result was abnormal.
If I was you Hun I wouldn't be worried at all but def go and speak to your gp for further advice.

Xxx

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for your replies.

Yes my Doc knows I am pregnant and she says this wouldn't affect my result. I finally have my letter it says i have low grade dyskaryosis and my HPV was not recorded for some reason, they say this sometimes happens but they wont do it again at my colposcopy, I guess i have to go again after my pregnancy.
I did think shall I go or not but it does seem pretty safe, other than my cervix being right up it may be hard to get. The small tube to show a close up of my cervix for the microscope seems pretty harmless. x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back