Chicken Pox

First Baby White

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone help, I have been in contact with someone who I work with daily who today found out his son has chicken pox. He has no symptoms but you can have the infection without it showing.

I am 16+3 and spoke to NHS direct who said if I have had chicken pox before there is no risk which I had so was relieved but then the midwife called as I had left her message and she said that is rubbish and I need to go and have a blood test done as there is no way to know if I am immune!!!

Does anyone know the risk or what damage it could cause??

Also does anyone know anybody who has had chicken pox whilst pregnant????

Hi, i'm a teacher and one of the kids in my class had chicken pox. Luckily I had an appointment at the doctor the next day anyway and when i asked I got told I needed a blood test to test for immunity, cos apparently some people can get chicken pox more than once. I think it's rare if you've already had it though.
If you aren't immune you need an injection(... I think.)
Chicken pox in pregnancy can be harmful to your unborn baby so I'd go for the blood test hun!
I think most people are immune, but it's best to be safe. xxxx :D

Thanks Sarah,

I am due to have it first thing on Monday so I hope thats not to late!!!

How long did it take for the blood test to come back?

They said they would contact you quickly if you weren't immune-within about 2 days, but if it was ok you wouldn't hear anything until next midwife appointment-I think I phoned just to check a week later and they said it was all fine.
Hope it goes ok.xx :hug:

A few years a go we had a chicken pox epidemic at work half the kids at the nursery got it.
One of the girls was pregnant and became very worried about the effect it could have.
But her doctor said there was no need to worry as she had had chicken pox herself before.
And she was fine :D

So now im pregnant and weve had a case of chicken pox at the nursery i never thought to contact the doctor as i felt due to the advice the nursery was given id be perfectly fine too.

Now the little kid who had chicken pox is past the infection stage and back at the nursery.

I never knew to have a blood test but it seems that i got away with it.
But if another brake out dose occur i think i'll ring my doctor. :think:

My son had chicken pox while i was pregnant but i was told by my midwife that chicken pox will only affect the baby in the first few AND last weeks of pregnany. She didnt say why, but im sure you ladies and babies will be fine.

Hi,

There seems to be a fair bit of conflicting advice about this - I'd said go for the blood test if it has been recommended, even if you have had it.

I've had the same thing, have been potentially exposed to it at toddler groups etc, and unfortunately my two girls have not had it so I am expecting them to get it at any time, it is always a worry although I have had it.

I did read somewhere that the risks are pretty low anyhow, even if a pregnant woman does get it (I think there's also a small risk of complications in the mother); as someone said before, I also read that it is the beginning and the end of pregnancy when one is more at risk (the beginning because of the rapid developement, and the end because the baby can be born with it - at least I think that's along the lines of what it said).

All the best

Crumbs we saw a friend at new year and two days ater he rung to say he had CP, i read my book and siad it is only a prob if the mother gets it and as i had it as a child i didn't owrry. I haven't got it again so got away with that.

Sandi

My friend had chickenpox when pregnant and baby was absolutely fine - worth having the blood test if offered but chances are you will be fine - I got paranoid when I was working as a GP and pregnant - didnt want to see anyone with suspected CP or shingles just incase :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back