Chicken Pox

CARNAT22

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

My OH's neice and nephew spent the day yesterday with their cousin who has chicken pox.

I then spent a few hours yesterday with the kiddies who had come into contact with the infected child. I didn't kiss them or hold the baby or anything.

I've never had chicken pox though?? Although I was tested at my booking appointment and I am pretty sure at the 16w appoiontment they told me I do have immunity.

I should be OK right?

Normally I wouldn't have dreamt of going near anyone that had been near someone with CP but it was nephews 3rd Borthday

xxxxxxxxxxx

I would think that as the children you were around didn't actually have chicken pox and you think you are immune anyway you would be fine but it may be worth just giving your GP/MW a ring just to be on the safe side? I wouldn't think it's a huge risk though :)

MIL is a nurse and she said I should be fine! I'd already been around the kiddies for an hour by that point though!!!

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Hmmm I know that when there was an outbreak in one of the children wards one time my friend had to move and she was near ready to pop BUT i dont know if that was just a safety thing like "just incase" or if it would cause her any harm..

I should think not, but I would maybe phone mat - I know MIL is a nurse but a MW maybe able to help a bit more if your worried :) xxxx

The risk sounds low, and as your MIL is a nurse she would have told you if there was even the slightest risk, she wouldn't want any harm to come to you or LO.
Try not to worry too much, but if you're unsure just call your midwife :) x

Hmmm I know that when there was an outbreak in one of the children wards one time my friend had to move and she was near ready to pop BUT i dont know if that was just a safety thing like "just incase" or if it would cause her any harm..

I should think not, but I would maybe phone mat - I know MIL is a nurse but a MW maybe able to help a bit more if your worried :) xxxx

Hospitals will protect their workers to save their back. I wasnt allowed to do much when pregnant and at work x

If the kiddies I was with yesterday come out with the draded lergie then I'll def ring MW...

Older child is 3 but baby is only 6 weeks old so I hope she doesn't end up with it

xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
awww wee bub, i hope shes okay and the rest of the kids that have them..

yeah, i work in a hospital aswell lou i know what its like thats why i said i wasnt sure about whether or not it was harmful.

i got moved the other week cause of a S&D outbreak but thats cause I work in Geriatrics, theyr always getting unwell *bless* xxxx

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago, if you've had chicken pox, you'll be fine x

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago, if you've had chicken pox, you'll be fine x

I've never had it!!!

They asked me at booking appointment and said they'd test me as I may have immunity anyway?

I am pretty sure at 16w appointment the confirmed I am immune.

I just couldn't find anything in my notes to confirm this? Although I don't understand most of the blood test results??

I def have rubella immunity though...

xxxxxxxxx

Carnat chicken pox is very easy to catch even if in the same room with someone. No need for hugs and kisses.
But considering that the kids just spent the day with someone with chicken pox and then you met them I doubt they were transmitting the disease already.

Because you had no chicken pox you are in risk even if you have some immunity it may be partial.

In this occasion though I doubt you got it.
Stay away from the kids for the following 3 weeks. If in 3 weeks they didn't get it you can go see them.

Sorry I read when I was half asleep

Give the midwife a wee ring and see what she says

Yes that right , as Hope says there's a 3 weeks period between coming in contact with chicken pox and having systoms and you are contagious from day one ( contact) right though to the day the pox become dry . I've never heard of being immune to it though. I was one of the mums joining the chicken pox parties back when my teenagers were little kiddies as I believe it's much better to get chicken pox as a child than shingles as an adult , My dad had shingles at 35 years of age it was horrid.
Measles is the worst illness as rubella causes deafness among some other things and pregnant women are routinely checked for immunity you are correct there.
I would definitely speak to your midwife and tell her what has happened she may prefer to home visit you for a while just in case , I know were suppose to try and avoid contact with chicken pox but I'm not a 100% knowing why. xx

I had to get my lg's dad to have my lg when she had them as it says on my notes im not immune, they took my bloods again as i had been around her before the spots appeared im still not allowed around anyone with chicken pox. I luckily didnt catch them and i was around her all the time before i knew, have you got a midwife appointment soon maybe mention it then and im sure the midwife will tell you xx

Last edited:
If the kiddies I saw yesterday do have it when could I expect them to start showing symptoms?? They were exposed to it yesterday daytime (but probably saw the child that actually now has it before she was showing symptoms)

xxxxxxxxxxx

Anytime between now and 3 weeks

OK so if neither of them have it within 3 weeks then they don't have it?

Excellent.....

I'll stay away until then!

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I had a similar situation where I work and my mother couldn't remember if I'd had chicken pox or not so I had to go get some bloods tested as the doc said Id have to get some treatment if I came back with no immunity but it came back that I did. Might be worth calling your gp tbh.

the incubation period is commonly around 2 weeks so if spots have not appeared by the third week they should be ok and of course you would have not been in contact with it at all, thank goodness , I hope it does turn out ok , xx

I had a similar situation where I work and my mother couldn't remember if I'd had chicken pox or not so I had to go get some bloods tested as the doc said Id have to get some treatment if I came back with no immunity but it came back that I did. Might be worth calling your gp tbh.

I have already been tested and I do have immunity.

xxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back