Shingles and pregnancy

erimela

Reaction score
My boss called this evening to ask if I had chicken pox before. I answered, probably.

He then informs me he has just been told he has shingles.

Checked with my mother, and guess what, I haven't had chicken pox!!!!! argh, I spent half of today in a meeting room with him!

Heading to my docs tomorrow without an appointment and see who I can speak with. Hope all is ok with my baby.

Anyone know of /had shingles/chicken pox when pregnant?

U might have a natural immunity to it-doc will do a blood test to see.
Shingles can only b passed thru direct contact with the rash,it's not airborne and u can't catch it thru coughing,sneezing etc

I was Reading up on it yesterday cos I wanted to know risk to my newborn if dh had it (luckily he doesn't)

thanks for the info! TBH I have read conflictin medical views on getting chicken pox via shingles - some claim it to be air borne others say no.

The worry I have is that I haven't had chicken pox previously. Will head to docs tomorrow for blood test to see if I am immune.

Fingers crossed!

i had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. my mum had shingles.

i steered clear just incase but my nieces still saw her and they havent caught chicken pox or anything.

i was told that after 20 weeks if you get it it should be fine but didnt want to risk it anyway. xxx

my friend at work had chicken/shingles pox whilst she was pregnant (b4 12 weeks )n her baby is fine, they can be complications if u get it but they give u some medicen n tell you to take it easy

if you have picked it up it will take a good 10 days b4 any symptoms,then b4 any spots you will start with a really bad cold fever may be even sickness for a day, if i was you id just wait an see n if you start to feel ruff in 8/14 days go straight to the docs an explain x x x x

try not to worrie x x x fingers crossed u will b fine

Last edited:
My mum had shingles when she was pregnant with me...

I have 5 brothers and sisters, they have ALL had chicken pox, and I've never gotten it. Think it may be cause I had it when my mum did. I was ok x

I think shingles/chicken pox has an incubation period of 48 days before the spots start to show, so the likely-hood is that you (and other people at work) have already been exposed.

If you've never had chicken pox, you're possibly immune. But even if you do get shingles, it's bad for you, but not always for baby xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back