cervical ripening balloon catheter?

jojo_2012

Reaction score
Has anyone been induced using a balloon catheter, I think they call them Cook's balloons or something. I'm planning a VBAC so can't be induced using hormones etc, so they're planning to try and insert one of these if I go more than 7 days overdue. Wondering if anyone has any experience of having one in?

Last edited:
i only heard of this the other day when watching tv, an american programme, never heard of it in this country x must say it sounded painful!!! it pushes open your cervix x x x

I saw a medical update saying that it should be done with a single balloon catheter and not a double balloon catheter which is sometimes used - just incase they give you a choice :)

I found this else-where and thought you might appreciate someone elses input.

"Hi Girls,
Just thought I'd post this, as seen a few posts asking about induction, as this is what they used at my hospital to induce me when I was Pregnant with my DD and wanted to go for a VBAC - had to be induced early due to medical complications.
Cervical dilator catheter (Foley Catheter)
A foley catheter is used by some health care professionals to help the cervix dilate. A thin, plastic catheter with a small balloon on one end is inserted into your cervix. Water is slowly pushed through the catheter, allowing the balloon to inflate. As the balloon inflates, pressure is exerted against your cervix, causing your body to release prostaglandins. These hormones then cause your cervix to dilate. Once your cervix has dilated enough, the balloon falls out and the catheter can be removed.
This is a fairly new technique used to dilate the cervix, and is associated with better and safer results.
May be something for those worried about induction to ask their consultants about - I had the balloons in for 24 hours after which they were removed and I was 4cm from zero - I was taken to labour ward for my waters to be broken and my DD arrived 3 hours later - no drugs needed!!!
Hope this info helps, take care and best wishes"

they're planning to try and insert one of these if I go more than 7 days overdue.

Hi hun,
Why are they only waiting 7 days?
x

Because it's a VBAC they don't want me to go too far overdue apparently.

I'll gladly take the 3hr labour of that woman you quoted thanks :shock:

I'll try anything safe to try and prevent another c section really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back