• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Carol Thatcher a racist?

lauramumof2 said:
Any other takers. Im in Scotland too Claire, this could be down to the fact is it rarely warm enough to wear a skirt without tights.

very very true....when im on holiday my legs don't know whats happened to them!!they're out all day! :lol:

i agree with Kay tho, carol thatchers a pain in the buttocks

lauramumof2 said:
Any other takers. Im in Scotland too Claire, this could be down to the fact is it rarely warm enough to wear a skirt without tights.
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :wave: but I am sat outside working on them now! :lol:

Blimey, i've just read through all 6 pages. I personally think it was a stupid thing to say but i did have a gollywog when i was little and i loved it (was one of my favourite toys). I was actually surprised as to how many shops in cornwall still sell them!

I completely agree with the comments raised about the N word.. It annoys the hell out of me when i hear black people saying it to each other yet if it was a white person saying it all hell woud break loose! Its a horrible word and noone should use it.

Claire x

When I was younger my mum gave me a gorilla teddy and I named him Golly, he was like my best friend and I loved that teddy, but thinking back to why I named him that it, was because I likened him to a 'Golly-Wog' and while I knew no better at the time I can now see how incredibley rascist that is to a black person. I had never met any coloured people as a child so to me it was a whole new thing. Its only now that I understand the meaning of the phrases and the dolls that I would never dream of using such a term and I can see exactly how and why it would offend a coloured person.

I know alot of coloured people may not find it offensive, as some of your friends dont, but I think that the fact 'some' would find it offensive is enough to make it unacceptable to use as a term.

Just my thoughts.xx

Hun half my family would be offended by your choice of word "coloured" although it is clear you mean no offence by it! (I hope I dont upset you at all hun)
Im just saying that people will always say things that others find offensive and it doesn't necessarily make you racist etc!

Any derogatory term is offensive otherwise it wouldn't be classed as derogatory! Golliwog, carrot top, ******, the 'N' word, white trash....all offensive. I honestly can't see why anyone would think they weren't offensive term's to use when refering to somebody :think: Nobody has posted anything that has made me think 'oh ok maybe its not offensive or racist to call somebody a golliwog'.

lea m said:
Hun half my family would be offended by your choice of word "coloured" although it is clear you mean no offence by it! (I hope I dont upset you at all hun)
Im just saying that people will always say things that others find offensive and it doesn't necessarily make you racist etc!

No I know what you mean! :hug: I never know what is the right terms to use these days!xx

I always laboured under the belief that "gollywog" was an extremely racist term, not really open to interpretation.

Mind you I'm one to talk, atm i am guilty of Thatcherism "ofc she's a racist,look at who her mother is"

Tbh I think,like the word nigger,it's a word that just shouldn't be used,end of. There's really no need.

ReggiesMummy said:
lea m said:

No I know what you mean! :hug: I never know what is the right terms to use these days!xx

Lol bless :D It's ok to say black you know. :hug: Or you can say 'other races', or asians, africans, etc. it's perfectly fine. better than coloured! I hate that word! hang on... aren't we all coloured? white is a colour too, isn't it? :D

laetitia85 said:
ReggiesMummy said:
lea m said:

Lol bless :D It's ok to say black you know. :hug: Or you can say 'other races', or asians, africans, etc. it's perfectly fine. better than coloured! I hate that word! hang on... aren't we all coloured? white is a colour too, isn't it? :D

I prefer to use the term coloured rather than black really. I mean white people are actually pink and black people are actually dark brown aren't they :think: My sisters boyfriend is originally from South America and he is 'black' so you could think he was from Africa or even Asia if you just looked at his skin tone. I just think of him as coloured I suppose rather than black :think: Actually I just think of him as Andrew :lol:

Lou said:
laetitia85 said:
ReggiesMummy said:
lea m said:

I prefer to use the term coloured rather than black really. I mean white people are actually pink and black people are actually dark brown aren't they :think: My sisters boyfriend is originally from South America and he is 'black' so you could think he was from Africa or even Asia if you just looked at his skin tone. I just think of him as coloured I suppose rather than black :think: Actually I just think of him as Andrew :lol:

the term coloured though has roots in segregation

beanie said:
Lou said:
laetitia85 said:
ReggiesMummy said:
lea m said:

the term coloured though has roots in segregation

I had no idea :think:

Ok so I just wikipedia'd 'coloured' and wow theres alot of info there! Its very indepth and I had no idea it had so much meaning! It's definately something I will take on board! :)

I can't believe this conversation has got so far. The term gollywog is deeply racist and I can't speak for a black person but I certainly find it offensive and anyone with an iota of intelligence should know its an unacceptable term to use.

As a British Indian born and bred in this country, I would be deeply upset and mortified if someone called me a "Paki" which incidentally I have been called in the past in a venomous and hateful way and not by little children who don't supposedly know any better but by educated wealthy individuals who should know better especially when neither myself or any of my family originate from Pakistan.

Furthermore the term Paki is also offensive to most British Asians as the elders of our community have spent the last 50 or so years hearing the word in a derogatory manner. Take for example my father who came to this country in the early 1960's and held down 4 jobs even though he did a post grad degree just to get called Paki Basxxxd or have some skin heads with the intelligence level of a caravan site try to beat him up because he was a different colour to them, and was prepared to work hard to provide a good future for himself and his family.

Racism of any form overt or covert is unnaceptable as it causes pain and hatred, so in answer to the original question is Carol Thatcher a racist for referring to a colleague as a gollywog - sure is!

I can't be bothered to delve in to the racial bit about it but she should have been sacked, it may have been off air but she's still at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back