• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Carol Thatcher a racist?

Lou said:
I doubt very much a black person would laugh if you refered to them as looking like a golliwog.

Who said that :doh:

Lou said:
I doubt very much a black person would laugh if you refered to them as looking like a golliwog.

Where in my sentance did I say that??? I just said that I dont find being called white trash offensive, quite the opposite infact!

I'm not going to say most blacks as to upset you with genralisation... but the ones I know, would laugh at golliwog.

What I meant was just because you might find it ok to be called white trash it doesn't automatically make it ok to call a black person a golliwog. I was making a comparison.

I want to comment but I think it will get thrown out of context as I havent got the best way with words and the way this thread is going..... :lol:

LilysMummy said:
I want to comment but I think it will get thrown out of context as I havent got the best way with words and the way this thread is going..... :lol:

I think this thread is going just fine :)

I'm shocked at a few things that have been said but its all just discussion :)

Toy or not toy, that is not the question! I mean just look at the thing :lol:
twodutchdolls01.jpg

golliwogg-1880.jpg

golliwog.jpg

It's ugly, exageratedly dark with bright lips... Even if this character once existed, I think this image of black people is the kind of image that black people themsleves have been trying to remove from the media, books, comics, cartoons etc. because it's old, racist, misleading and doesn't represent us. You wouldn't see a modern Disney cartoon using this type of representation because we've moved from that era where black people were illustrated like that.

e.g.:

afrika01n.jpg

So for Carol Thatcher to compare a tennis player to it... :think:

I can't speak for every black person but I certainly wouldn't like to be compared to a golliwogg!

And I can't remember who mentionned being ginger and being called a carrot... I think there's malice in that too! There are certain comments that people just have to learn to not make, considering that we're supposed to live in a country where there is tolerance. Even if there was no black black person around to witness it, she should have known better, I think. but that's just my opinion.

I know that at times, political correctness can go a bit wild, especially with the BBC lately, since the jonathan ross thing etc... :roll:

Personally I think the term 'racist' gets throw around far too easily.
Do I think that carol Thatcher not only hates black people but feels that she is inherently superior to them as a race?
Probably not. One thoughtless comment does not make a racist.

But she should be sacked. She didn't make the 'joke' in the privacy of her own home. She was at work and what's worse it was to a colleague.
If its good enough for Big Ron, then its good enough for her! :wink:

No doubt this topic will come up next month when England play Spain in a friendly. Lets hope its not a repeat of the last time we played them :x

Misslarue said:
Do I think that carol Thatcher not only hates black people but feels that she is inherently superior to them as a race?
Probably not.

You're right, probably not.

Misslarue said:
One thoughtless comment does not make a racist.

MMmmmhh :think: sometimes it hides an inner belief/feeling. But I won't comment further on that, because I see your point. :hug:

Why doesn't she just apologise, or would that be admitting she was being racist? :think:

I personally think it has all been blown out of preportion...just like the Ross/Brand/Sachs thing!

Misslarue said:

But she should be sacked. She didn't make the 'joke' in the privacy of her own home. She was at work and what's worse it was to a colleague.

No doubt this topic will come up next month when England play Spain in a friendly. Lets hope its not a repeat of the last time we played them :x

I agree wholeheartedly (except for the football, about which I couldn't care less).

I don't think Carol Thatcher was being racist I think she was just being exceptionally ignorant and stupid.

debecca said:
Misslarue said:

I agree wholeheartedly (except for the football, about which I couldn't care less).

I don't think Carol Thatcher was being racist I think she was just being exceptionally ignorant and stupid.

Which wouldnt be a first for her!! :roll: :lol:

SarahH said:
I personally think it has all been blown out of preportion...just like the Ross/Brand/Sachs thing!

I think the only thing the Carol Thatcher comment and the Ross/ Brand thing has in common is they are both BBC related. The similarity starts and ends there. One was a joke, all be it a bad taste one depending on opinion, the other was an offensive comment that used a term for black people that has been deemed offensive, which in some peoples eyes makes her comment racist.

Lou said:
SarahH said:

I think the only thing the Carol Thatcher comment and the Ross/ Brand thing has in common is they are both BBC related. The similarity starts and ends there. One was a joke, all be it a bad taste one depending on opinion, the other was an offensive comment that used a term for black people that has been deemed offensive, which in some peoples eyes makes her comment racist.

Ok :think: .... I'll shut up then!

Of course calling a black person a golliwog is racist - and how can you compare that to being called white trash - the history and the demeaning of black people in this country (and other countries) over the last 200 odd years cannot be compared to calling someone white trash (which is more a socialcultural insult as opposed to a racial one :think: )

I don't think Carol Thatcher was trying to be racist in the way most people think of racism but she was incredibly stupid, ignorant and uneducated to use such a phrase. I do love Carol but she was bang out of order and as such deserves to lose her job. I would have lost my job if I had been overheard using that kind of phrase. But then I found it offensive for two grown men to phone up a pensioner a number of times to leave abusive messages on his answerphone ;)

beanie said:
I don't think Carol Thatcher was trying to be racist in the way most people think of racism but she was incredibly stupid, ignorant and uneducated to use such a phrase. I do love Carol but she was bang out of order and as such deserves to lose her job.

Which was exactly what I was trying to say above.

SarahH said:
Lou said:
SarahH said:

Ok :think: .... I'll shut up then!

Don't be silly. I am commenting on your post thats all :D

ok..... I'll shut up after this!! :wink:

I never said it was ok to call up a elderly man and leave messages.... but Sachs was man enough to accept the apology but the rest of the country, who in all honesty had feck all to do with it (as in it didnt affect them personally) didnt! And anyway, Sachs has done alright out of it all... aint he away to be in Corrie or Emmerdale or something equally boring! :)

SarahH said:
ok..... I'll shut up after this!! :wink:

I never said it was ok to call up a elderly man and leave messages.... but Sachs was man enough to accept the apology but the rest of the country, who in all honesty had feck all to do with it (as in it didnt affect them personally) didnt! And anyway, Sachs has done alright out of it all... aint he away to be in Corrie or Emmerdale or something equally boring! :)

Trial by Daily Mail, with full access to the public gallery. You've gotta love it :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back