• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Carol Thatcher a racist?

Great to see some intelligent replies :clap:

But I do have one gripe.....'intelligence of a caravan site'! :lol:

I love camping! :D

Over 2,000 people have complained about her being sacked. 60 have written to the BBC backing the decision.

Maybe it IS a generation thing because I, like Kay, couldn't give two hoots about racism because in my eyes people should be tougher than to take offence at people making comments about their skin colour. I am not black or asian but I am a single mum and I couldn't count on my fingers and toes how many derrogotary remarks I've heard or how people ditched me like a hot potato when I was pregnant. I know that for every ignorant person there are 5 non-ignorant people so TBH they can say what they like and I couldn't care less.

Would I call a black person a golliwog? No, probably not. People have names for a reason BUT my black friend has a series of nicknames that would have the PC brigade going mad. Like I said before it's the way words are used that make them racist...

Of course, feel free to ignore my response and only read the 'intelligent' replies :roll:

I agree with Lou & co on this one. The term is deeply offensive. I don't really care whether it 'used' to be a toy and was all innocent. It isn't now. It is used in a way to demean people.

The meanings of words change - like it or not - and those new connotatons have to be considered. All the arguments in the world can be made for the use of the 'n' word, or the shortening of pakistani or gollywog being nothing but a toy but as Angelfairy points out these have mostly been used as terms of abuse and they have too many unpleasant connections. I would be absolutely furious and appalled if I ever caught Olivia refering to people in such a way.

So - do I think Carol Thatcher is a racist. Yes. Not in a vicious, overt way but in a dyed-in-the-wool way that many people are. She holds these ideas and doesn't even seem to realise why they are so abhorrant.

Tadpole said:
I agree with Lou & co on this one. The term is deeply offensive. I don't really care whether it 'used' to be a toy and was all innocent. It isn't now. It is used in a way to demean people.

The meanings of words change - like it or not - and those new connotatons have to be considered. All the arguments in the world can be made for the use of the 'n' word, or the shortening of pakistani or gollywog being nothing but a toy but as Angelfairy points out these have mostly been used as terms of abuse and they have too many unpleasant connections. I would be absolutely furious and appalled if I ever caught Olivia refering to people in such a way.

So - do I think Carol Thatcher is a racist. Yes. Not in a vicious, overt way but in a dyed-in-the-wool way that many people are. She holds these ideas and doesn't even seem to realise why they are so abhorrant.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jade&Evie said:
Over 2,000 people have complained about her being sacked. 60 have written to the BBC backing the decision.

Maybe it IS a generation thing because I, like Kay, couldn't give two hoots about racism because in my eyes people should be tougher than to take offence at people making comments about their skin colour. I am not black or asian but I am a single mum and I couldn't count on my fingers and toes how many derrogotary remarks I've heard or how people ditched me like a hot potato when I was pregnant. I know that for every ignorant person there are 5 non-ignorant people so TBH they can say what they like and I couldn't care less.

Would I call a black person a golliwog? No, probably not. People have names for a reason BUT my black friend has a series of nicknames that would have the PC brigade going mad. Like I said before it's the way words are used that make them racist...

Of course, feel free to ignore my response and only read the 'intelligent' replies :roll:

You've tried and tried to provoke a response out of me and I'm not biting :lol:

When you have something to say that I feel I'd like to respond to trust me I will :D

I haven't replied to each individual post :)

zebrastripes said:
Tadpole said:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Agreed :D

Lou you really wound me up yesterday- and then to imply that the points made by people disagreeing with you yesterday is just plain rude.

You say you are all for opinions but that's bullshit- you are all for aopinions that agree with your own. I'm not going to comment on this thread anymore- anyone who disagrees with you would have been put off by how agressive you were yesterday so there's no point being in a one sided debate.

ETA. You can put a smiley at the end of every sentence if you like but the underlying tone of it still shines through.

Jade&Evie said:
Lou you really wound me up yesterday- and then to imply that the points made by people disagreeing with you yesterday is just plain rude.

You say you are all for opinions but that's bullsh*t- you are all for aopinions that agree with your own. I'm not going to comment on this thread anymore- anyone who disagrees with you would have been put off by how agressive you were yesterday so there's no point being in a one sided debate.

ETA. You can put a smiley at the end of every sentence if you like but the underlying tone of it still shines through.

Well I've never been banned for provoking people, have you? :think:

enough ladies - this has been a really interesting debate and it is really annoying to try and follow it and have to read your arguement in between.

beanie said:
enough ladies - this has been a really interesting debate and it is really annoying to try and follow it and have to read your arguement in between.

Cool. I think its an interesting debate too :)

Lou said:

Lou hon I meant no offence to be caused by this, was just thinking of a more English way of saying trailor park intelligence and yep have enjoyed many a fabulous camping trip myself :lol:

x

angelfairy said:
Lou said:

Lou hon I meant no offence to be caused by this, was just thinking of a more English way of saying trailor park intelligence and yep have enjoyed many a fabulous camping trip myself :lol:

x

Oh you meant like a gypsy site! I thought you meant people who caravan :rotfl:

:D

Lou said:
Jade&Evie said:

You've tried and tried to provoke a response out of me and I'm not biting :lol:

When you have something to say that I feel I'd like to respond to trust me I will :D

I haven't replied to each individual post :)

You two make me laugh :lol:

Lou its far too early for me to be laughing this much, my daughter came into our bed last night and kicked me non stop while at the same time bubba was busy doing somersaults. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I honestly don't think I've been agressive, especially considering some of the posts on here, I think i've been very reasonable, but of course you can disagree :lol:

laetitia85 said:
what does ETA mean?

I don't know ? :think: I thought she meant FYI to be honest :think:

Oh maybe editied to add?

angelfairy said:
Lou its far too early for me to be laughing this much, my daughter came into our bed last night and kicked me non stop while at the same time bubba was busy doing somersaults. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Poor you :hug:

:lol:

SarahH said:
Some people just turn a blind eye for a quiet life

Personally I find that horrid. Because that way people start thinking that use of of"nigger", "paki" and "******" become acceptable, as they're never challenged

widowwadman said:
SarahH said:
Some people just turn a blind eye for a quiet life

Personally I find that horrid. Because that way people start thinking that use of of"nigger", "paki" and "******" become acceptable, as they're never challenged

My cousin used the term paki at the christmas dinner table :shock: and called someone a ****** on facebook the other day. I was really fond of him but now I'm a bit like :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back