• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can anything be done about elasticity...

Sarah7

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I've recently come around to the idea that to get this baby out I will actually have to go through labour and give birth to it.
This acceptance led to me wondering if there is anything we can do to the old lady parts to give them some elasticity in the desperate hope it won't all get ripped to shreds by a giant head or something.
So does anyone have any methods or heard of any lotions or anything that can be done to help in that department?

Thank you :D
xx

Keep doing your pelvic floor exercises!!

I think it also depends on how quickly your labour progresses. The faster it is the less chance your body has to expand. With my first I was in labour for 4 days, so on the plus side I didn't have too much repair work!! Kind of hoping for a slightly faster labour this time though and have a few more stitches!!

Or giant shoulders haha. Ive heard that water births make you less likely to tear. And after trying everything else, I'll just be making sure Im pushing when the midwife says and stopping when the midwife says! xxx

Thank you :)

I will try the massage (it says 34 weeks but I may start a little sooner just in case!) and the exercises and hope to keep it all nice and supple.

I'll also keep my fingers crossed for a labour that doesn't enter the 'days' phase and hope the same for you jenni! :D

Carnat, so glad that wasn't a video, I read the word video knew there was a link and got a little freaked out for a second lol.

Or giant shoulders haha. Ive heard that water births make you less likely to tear. And after trying everything else, I'll just be making sure Im pushing when the midwife says and stopping when the midwife says! xxx

Ah the shoulders, I always forget the shoulders lol.

I don't want a water birth but that makes so much sense. Kinda wish I wanted one just for that!

No unauthorised pushing is a totally great rule, I will be my midwife's slave if it keeps me in one piece lol. Totally fear tearing or episiotomies... if that's the right word :?

xx

I have been really worrying about this.

I have had 2 lots of surgery in that department and scar tissue isn't elastic!

I really would like a vaginal birth, just hope its possible and that i dont end up in too much of a state!

XX

With my first (4 years ago) my midwife said to walk as much as possible without straining your self. My labour was 6 hours and I didnt tear. I walked everywhere I could :)

I've heard a couple of people who have torn having a water birth, because the midwife can't see what's happening under water. If she could see you were about to tear on the bed they would cut you surely... I think I would have a go in the water but not deliver in it!

When I had DD I tore and was cut! I ended up with an infection in my cut, but not the tear....now I'm not saying this to frighten anyone, but what I was told was, because cutting you involves introducing a foreign object (however sterile), it is more likely to get infected, apparently it also almost certainly going to need stitches, where as a tear is natural and may not.

Don't always assume or want a cut rather than tear, and don't always worry too much about a little tear, they don't always need treatment.

Also I haven't looked at the link yet, but make sure you massage with some unscented cream, keeping it from getting dry will also help your situation

For no reason I've always thought I'd rather just tear than be cut, for the reason I don't want to know it's coming and I don't really want that sort of medical intervention if I don't absolutely have to. A tear somehow seems better and I've heard bad things about cuts healing and being incredibly sore (not that a tear will be nice of course). It's nice to know there are some actual reasons that tears can be better than cuts.

Apperently if you exercise during pregnancy this keeps you flexible! I was very active before pregnancy and just let slip so I'm out of shape so recently took up swimming as it is the best exercis. I'm hoping this works for me and also a small baby is an advantage too! :) x

For no reason I've always thought I'd rather just tear than be cut, for the reason I don't want to know it's coming and I don't really want that sort of medical intervention if I don't absolutely have to. A tear somehow seems better and I've heard bad things about cuts healing and being incredibly sore (not that a tear will be nice of course). It's nice to know there are some actual reasons that tears can be better than cuts.

I'm the same, I don't want to be cut, but if I tear then so be it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Flip side to that - my friend was insistent she didn't want cut, and says that's definitely the bit she would do differently. A cut can be controlled, where as a tear can be an out and out rip that can be much more difficult to heal (that's what happened with her). She says a small snip would have saved her a LOT of pain. Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I'm in denial about labour and getting this baby out ... and I'm happy to stay that way for a while! :rotfl:

Flip side to that - my friend was insistent she didn't want cut, and says that's definitely the bit she would do differently. A cut can be controlled, where as a tear can be an out and out rip that can be much more difficult to heal (that's what happened with her). She says a small snip would have saved her a LOT of pain. Xxx

Agree.
A small tear is no problem but a large severe tear can cause a great deal of pain and problems.
An episiotomy is very controlled.
I've had both and neither are enjoyable.
Just a shame that you can't predict how severe a tear would be before the decision to do an episiotomy is made ;) x

I do understand where your coming from, but I had the cut and still tore quite badly. My tear was stitched and healed, the cut was hell causing pain for a few months refusing to heal properly.

Maybe you just can't guess what's going to be worse for you and we should all just invest in some good moisturiser and an exercise programme to try to avoid needing anything

My aromatherapist client tells me to use oil down there, twice daily from 34 weeks and twice a week from now...if u know an aromatherapist they can mix u a 1% oil using one choice of lavender, geranium, camomile or neroli, then mixed with a carrier oil such as jojoba or rose hip oil.... dont mix oils unless u get a qualified therapist to as some essential oils and being on labour!!! If in doubt just use jojoba x

With my first (4 years ago) my midwife said to walk as much as possible without straining your self. My labour was 6 hours and I didnt tear. I walked everywhere I could :)

Ooh, that's true. I was walking 2 miles a day up until a few days before I went into labour, that may have helped too!

Your body will release hormones that will increase elasticity. Anything you do is a bonus but won't neccessarily make a hug difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back