Can anyone help?

Mel_

Reaction score
Hi, I really hope someone here knows about this stuff...
Anyway it's a little complicated but basicly I wonderd if anyone knows anything about what the law says about working bank holidays (is boxing day a bank holiday?)
*I work in a shop and I am unfortunatly "a member of management" (i'm just a supervisor which is acctually crap) I work Monday to Friday (always have I NEVER work on a sunday) Today I was told I HAVE to work either Boxing day or christmas eve (sunday)
*I dont get paid for overtime (so I dont do it! I dont work for free)
*If i work on a bank holiday I dont get paid double time like everyone else does so generaly I dont do that either.
*The reason they need extra bodies on christmas eve is to prepare for the sale (which starts boxing day i think) But I cant acctually do anything anyway because I am pregnant and they wont let me lift anything or move anything (which preparing for sale involves doing)

Anyway I told them that I am NOT working on boxing day and i wont do Sunday either coz I have plans on both days, she said I've GOT TO!
I want to tell her to go (you know) herself.
What I want to know is can she acctually make me do it? She said she can make me work on Boxing day. And if i refuse can I be sacked for it? If not and I'll get a warning or something then thats fine I'll take a warning.
Oh yeah I hate my stinking crappy job and I cant wait to leave!! phew!

I would check your contract, if it says that you have to work what you are told then there probably isnt a lot you can do about it. But if it doesnt say you have to work outside the normal days you work then you dont have to and there is nothing she can do about it.

All my contract says is that I work 40 hours it doesnt specify any days or particular hours although it probably says something about the needs of the business blah blah.
Thinking about it though I dont think I have a copy of a contract and I dont recall ever having one, I started with the company ages ago and things werent all done properly. and i know there isnt a copy on my file.

call in sick as one your pregnant and illness is one acceptable and two inecitable, if she a)sacks you take her to a tribunal for unfair dismissal b)gives you a warning she cant do that either, legally you can in fact take a week of sick self certificated so just take a couple days off not a thing she can do about it hun. Your safe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back