work/ xmas hols advice

BeckyJ

Reaction score
i work at a nursing home and have done for the past year, 3 days per wk, tues/wed and thur

obviously this tues and wed is xmas day and boxing day and nxt tues is new yrs day

the nursing home isnt shut at all over xmas so would i need to book these days off as holiday or should i get paid for them as bank holidays????

From my experience most places pay enhanced rates for Christmas. Quite often double time, or at least time and a half.

If your place of work pays enhanced rates for Christmas you'd hope they would include you in that, even though those are your set days.

To be fair, many homes operate a system where half the staff work Christmas Day, half Boxing Day so as to ensure everyone is equal and also has a chance at enhanced rates and that no one is working all the festive season days, which many consider unfair. Also many don't want to work at all over Christmas and want to be off (I never minded a morning or evening shift, but would not work a long day)

If you had wanted those days off, I'd have booked them off a lot further in advance as they have rotas and it can be hard to get cover at short notice. Depends what your boss says really, but it is very short notice for annual leave. They may not be able to grant it this late.

I suggest you are best off talking to your boss as they can tell you the homes policy (all vary). I'm a bit surprised you don't have it all set out already tbh as nearly everywhere I know of works out Christmas rotas etc well in advance and even if staff work set days, they still give them choices regarding it.

Good luck :)

ive already booked the days off as annual leave but now wonder if i needed to? or would do i get paid for them anyway?

i dont work in care, i work in the office so therefore dont need cover as ive done all of next weeks work and am going in tomorrow to do the finishing bits

all of the care staff have a rota and thier shifts sorted but as i am admin and the only admin at that im a bit confused and a bit shy to ask as ive just broke the news im pregnant and will be havin maternity leave so dont wanna look like im taking the mick

Hmm in that case I doubt they would expect you to work anyways. I'm not sure they would pay you anything other than standard pay if they did give it you off. I think it'd be more likely to be part of your leave or a bit like a BH.

I'd ask them to clarify how it works there, best bet.

At my work those who are contracted to work wednesdays have to work Boxing day and they don't get any extra pay for it.
Luckily I only work Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays (the shops shut xmas day) so don't have to work it :dance:

If you're contracted to work those days and your place of employment is open then you would have to take them as annual leave, unfortunatly there is no statutory right to bank holidays and your contract of employment should specify what leave entitlement/bank holiday entitlement you are entitled to.

Tuck is right, but do you normally get paid for Bank Holidays or not, if you have done in the past then you should get paid for chirstmas and boxing day as they are bank holidays, if you haven't before then you will probably not this time either

Hope you have this sorted - Im at work at the moment - only one in today! (quite depressing!) Hope you have a good Christmas x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back