C-section or vaginal birth?

mablestarr

Reaction score
I had a c-section last time and have been told if I want one this time I can have one at 39 weeks, or if I want I can wait and see what happens naturally.

I am swaying towards a vbac and the consultant agreed today to do a stretch and sweep at 38, 39 and 40 weeks (all being well with baby). But part of me thinks at least with section I would have a date and know when it was going to happen, and as I've had one before I know what is involved and know I can handle the pain whereas who knows how I'll cope with labour!

Anyway if you had the choice what would you do? Is there anyone who's had a vaginal birth and a section? Any comments/experiences shared will be much appreciated. xx

I recently had a failed VB despite MANY hours of trying + 8 or 9 x failed ventouse attempts...then an emergency CS. (Have a read of my birth story if you have 10 mins to kill, lol!)

Having experienced both (not a full VB, but an experience no less!), I would definitely pick a CS next time. Ok, the recovery time may be a little longer...but I actually coped quite well with mine and was up and about the day after - taking it slowly of course, but managing quite well.

We would like another little one in a couple of years time - however...if I was told I had to attempt a natural labour, it would almost definitely change my mind - I couldn't put myself through that again.

If I knew I could have a CS (a standard one, not emergency) - I wouldn't think twice and would go for it.

xxx

U will get the option next time Hun x

I've had both and I'd chose a vaginal any day of the week.
I had a wonderful VBAC too x

I had a section last timr. But progressed to 9cms before the emergency section. Im aiming for vbac!! Consultant is checking baby at 36 weeks si we shalk c! X

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

I only know this because I had emergency c section with my first this will b my 4th x

I've never had a CS but I had a good experience of VB, despite being long, I found the pain of labour manageable and had quick recovery with no pain 'down there' at all after, so cant imagine ever having a CS by choice, I know it's not the same for everyone though.

Im the opposite to bunny, 4 csections plus another open surg on my scar which was just the same in nov, but no experiance of a vb.

Id attempt a vbac any day... I want to feel like i did that, it was me , i dont care how much pain, worst case you get both lits of pain, the vb before pain and the cs after pain but youve given yourself a chance nor to have the after pain.

Also after 2 sections mostly they will say no to vbacs, i have heard wonen do if if they insist..

I really hope to give birth naturally, but if I'm at all like my mother it will have to be C-section. My mothers pelvis is too narrow to give birth vaginally. If I wasn't breech, we both would of died. Sickening part was they left her in laber 9 hours before realising. I'm going to get checked out and I recommend it to everyone, better to be safe than sorry.

It's interesting to hear everyone's views. I've got the option of either due to an emergency c-section last time (as long as I don't develop pre-eclampsia again). I really hated the whole thing last time, but I think that has a lot to do with it being in an emergency situation. It's taken ages for the scar to feel remotely "normal", although I must admit my recovery time wasn't all that long and I was up and about a couple of days later (wasn't allowed up the first day as hooked up to loads of drips).

I have had both and would chose a vaginal any day of the week!

My c-section was an emergency after a failed induction, stopped at 9cm and wouldn't dilate more baby became distressed. I recovered well from the section with no complications or great deal of pain.

I was given the option this time and chose to try for a vbac. I had a stretch at 40+1, woke the next day to waters breaking was in labour by 12noon. Stopped dilating again this time at 6cm, was given an epidural then put on hormone drip (low doses) dilated 4cm in 2 hours. Was pushing for 25mins. All in all was labouring for just over 9 hours! And didn't suffer any tears etc.

For me the Vbac was a million times better than having a section, the experience was painful yet amazing. I got to feel his head and he was placed straight on my chest skin to skin.

x x x

I got to feel his head and he was placed straight on my chest skin to skin.

This is what I want this time round above all else. I don't know about you, but my LO was whisked away after the section to SCBU and I didn't get to hold her for 3 days.

I got to feel his head and he was placed straight on my chest skin to skin.

This is what I want this time round above all else. I don't know about you, but my LO was whisked away after the section to SCBU and I didn't get to hold her for 3 days.

It was lovely and completely recommend trying for vbac, I was up and about by 3am having a bath! When I had my section I was given a general as my epidural stopped working as they were removing the placenta/stitching me up.

My baby was taken to scbu as he was born with the cord round his neck and wasn't breathing straight away. Igot to see him very briefly but he was soon whisked away. It was 36 hours before I got to hold him.

Xxxx

So pleased that you had such a good experience the second time round. I'll definitely be considering a vbac :)

I had vaginal, followed 2 and a half years later with a c-section. I would choose c-section over vaginal any day of the week! But then I had quite a traumatic vaginal birth. So I guess it comes down to whether you want to have a c-section, and know what's coming, or go with vaginal and take what comes.

Thanks for sharing your stories. Its great to hear about successful vbacs - stretch and sweep coming up on thursday so fingers crossed it will work. xx

I think i'd like another c section for my second, a virginal birth terrifies me! It's a bit of a fear of the unknown I suppose, having friends with horrendous natural birth and longterm problems "down there" after has really put me off too! lol (although I know it's not always like that) I was fine after a few days after my csection and up and about the same day.

i am seriously considering a section this time after a horrific experience last time......lots of complications etc. feel very jealous of those who have had successul vaginal births and felt ok afterwards.....so sunroof option for me next time i think

I've had, forceps with dd1, natural vb with dd2 and c section with dd3, so u could say I've tred everything. Lol.

I had to be induced all three times as my little ladies didnt want to come out.

Long first labour 26 hours from big contractions,baby was getting distressed, so went into theatre for a section but they tried forceps first and thankfully it worked.

Dd2 - induced and dilated easily to 3 cm, got waters broken and baby Born 6 hours later, with jut gw and air for crowning. Magical wonderful unbelievable proud of myself and my body. This was my ideal birth experience

Dd3 - induced and going well - no pain relief as I kept saying to my self tht I did it last time easily, and baby wouldn't be long. 14 hours later, and on gas n air, because pain was so bad. Baby was back to back, and was having difficulty crowning. She was also a lot bigger than my other daughters. I am 5.6 and usually about 8.5 stone,. Ended in emergency section. The operation itself wasn't too bad but the recovery for me was hideous, I had a baby and and 1 and. Half year old and. 4 year old to look after.

I'm praying for a vbac this time, but they won't let Me if baby is too big, going for a growth scan at 34 weeks. But midwife has already commented tht the baby is BIG X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back