• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Buying stuff

pinkymum

Reaction score
When did you start buying the big stuff ie pram, cot etc?
I started putting money away at 5 weeks and I'm entitled to the maternity start grant. A couple of friends are being a bit pushy suggesting prams or telling me they saw a pram can they get it......tbh I'd rather wait a while before I buy the big stuff.
I'm quite happy to buy wee things every week now.
Just wanted some opinions.
Thanks girls :)

I waited till after my 20 week scan with Adam for all the big things cot, pram ect but i started to buy small things after my 12 week scan. A helpful tip, throw a pack of nappies, some babywipes or a box of formula milk(if not breastfeeding) into your weekly shop, helped out loads with Adam so im doing it again this time x x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were in the same situation with "when do u buy??"

We waited til after the 20 week scan to buy stuff... Prams... Moses baskets... Baby furniture... Monitors... Clothes etc

People can be very superstitious, but it's really what u feel comfortable with!

Hope this helps

Hey! i started collecting things at about 16 weeks, but all the big stuff i did at about 19 weeks for cot (it was an ebay bargain so couldnt resist) then after my scan we got my pushchair. its so exciting buying everything. after my 12 week scan me and OH went to buy our first outfit for our bubba :) and then after 20 week scan we went and bought our first dress for her. so exciting - people give you loads of stuff as well, so that is all we have bought in clothes! x

I waited until 20 weeks also but if you want to shop hunny, you shop!:)

I waited until after 20 week scan. Went shopping with mum and MIL at 24 weeks and bought all the big stuff and since then have been buying all the other little bits gradually. Just need to get a mattress for the cotbed now and I'm all done!

We wne shopping after our 12 week scan and me, DD and DH each chose something little for the baby! Then the couple of weeks after that we got all our big stuff, so now just need to start stocking up on nappies, smellies, and the everyday stuff you go through loads of so if your happy buying now then go for it! We have our 20 week scan on wed so will be going for a proper shop after that as we havent bought any clothes yet so Im excited about that!

Go for it its so much fun! xxx

We waited till 20 weeks and even then everything stayed at MIL untill He was here. MIL bought us the cot, sister bought the pram and my mum bought everything else lol.

I have everything now for this one lol so its not fun because i want to shop. I have told family to buy nappies and stuff like that this time and all we need get is clothes because my friends are giving me alot of things that they have from there LO's.

If you want to shop then go for it lol nothing like looking at baby stuff and being able afford it :) xx

I still haven't got my cots/moses baskets, prams etc etc :lol:

I am really scared to get them and will be leaving it all at his Mum's I reckon

I got given most of my stuff before I brought anything... I was given a pram about 13 weeks so had that in my spare room for ages now. Must say I have been given so much stuff I have barely brought anything for my son yet. Got nappies to get my free stuff and an vest with a slogan on because it was cheap hehe but apart from that nothing... I'm waiting till I get my grants to buy anything I really need since I have a few debts I'm paying off now which is zapping all my money away. :) Happy Spending :p

What's a maternity start grant Helen? I am skint and have no clue if I am entitled to anything, thought the Tories had abolished it all!! x

I started buying most things at about 27/28wks I think,
definitely wasn't going to buy before 20wks
and just wasn't really able to buy until 27wks odd :)
of course I couldn't help picking up the odd onesie now and then before that haha
X

We're gonna wait till after Christmas, which might be a little late at 35 weeks, but we've got no room to keep it, so we need to do a big sort.

If I need to go on maternity leave in December, then I may make a start. We've got a big Mothercare and Babys'r'Us round the corner, so not really that worried, just impatient :)

What's a maternity start grant Helen? I am skint and have no clue if I am entitled to anything, thought the Tories had abolished it all!! x

If you have a look on the benefits website it'll tell you more. I'm on income support because of illness and if you're on income support you're defo entitled to it. Not sure of the other benefits. You get £500 which will come in really handy especially since I'll be moving to a bigger house.

Thanks girls, I've been offered heaps of stuff already. I'm going to wait till after Christmas to buy the big stuff. 20 week scan is on Xmas eve. I would love a new pram and I'm saving money so I might manage that but if not there are some really good second hand ones on gumtree that have hardly been used.
Lexi I'm not sure if you'll see this, I take it you were ok buying big things on eBay? I'm a bit worried because you don't get to see it before you buy

X x x x

i waited until 20 weeks, only cos i wanted to make sure it actaully was a baby in ther n not just to many buns, lol

i allways get stuff from ebay, i tend to do location searches to see whats close to me, and then ask if i can go see them b4 i bid / pay cash on collection then if there not at all like the picture or description says, u can change ur mind,

gumtree is great tho, i have got a few things from there in the last few weeks aswell as ebay, infact most of my baby stuff is ebayed :) the cot was a grandma's cot that had been used twice, the lady threw in another matress & some bedding for free to :)

xxx

we bought lil things, such as the odd vest,sleepsuit,blanket from 12 weeks, formula feeding and an awesome kit with everything we need came on sale when i was 16 weeks so got that then, day of 20 week scan we got pram and everything else we have bought since then, and was completely finished a couple of weeks ago :) ive even bought all bubs christmas presents :-D xx

I am going to get moses basket and bedding and afew bits like that tomorrow. Have quite a few babygrows vests and blankets, my Mum has bene buying all sorts so has MIL so I don't thin we'll be withou anything. We're not decorating the nursery as a nursery just yet as it's our spare room at the moment and the only place for people to sleep if they visit (all my family lives in Liverpool and I am in Manchester) Baby will be in with us for first few months and OH works shifts so he may need to go in the spare room for sleep he odd night too.

Going to start throwing more babay stuff in to the weekly shop but already started with the wipes, nappies, cotton wool balls etc too. :)

im really im patient and i got my firsts bits after my 12 week scan. my MIL2B buys bits every week such as nappies or wipes with her shopping to help us out, but we got our travel system at about 15 weeks as it was 2/3 off and couldn't miss out on the bargin. but it has gone to my MIL2B's house as we have no space to keep it. My OH's family ahve a moses basket which has been passed down generation (reconditioned a few times) and have asked if i'd use it. so she is sorting that bit out too. But ill prob wait to get a cot bed till lil 1 is here. im not nearly 19 weeks and appart from outfits, stereliser, toys, muslins, blankets and a baby monitor we are prety much sorted! still need to stock up on nappies and wipes! never have too many!

Need to start focusing on mummy bits now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back