Breastfeeding with inverted nipples

gems

Reaction score
Hi Mums I have inverted nipples. I didn't realise until I had my daughter last year. When it came to breastfeeding I could never get her latched on and if I did ever manage it she didn't often stay latched on for long. I didn't get very much help when I stayed overnight in hospital after her birth I kept asking for help and some midwives were great and could get Jess on first time others couldn't manage to get her latched on at all and would kind of get annoyed and say they had to go but would be back but would never come back and we were left to get on with it. I was feeling really low at the time and really defeated so when a midwife turned round and said that i had inverted nipples and that I would just find it too hard to breastfeed so should stop and give formula thats what I did. I felt like crap for ages afterwards as I really wanted to breastfeed and kind of felt like a failure. I know its still really early days yet but when this little one is born I really would like to try again and I don't want to fail this time. Would love to hear from other mums that had a similar problem and managed to breastfeed. Would love to hear how they managed it. Thanks in advance for any replies. xxxxxxx

I know how you feel hun, I have small kind of flat nipples and was told it would be better if I just gave up and formula fed so I did. I wish I had forced them to help me more now but being my first baby I just didnt know what to do and thought they must know best! Get some breastfeeding support this time round hun :hug: :hug:

Hi hun, i'm sorry you were given such bad advice the last time. :hug: :hug: A good thing to remember is that babies breastfeed not nipple feed and if a baby is able to get a good mouthful of breast most types of flat or inverted nipples will not cause a problem.

The best thing would be to work on good positioning and attachment. A good latch meants the baby's mouth and gums will bypass the nipple entiresly and take in a large mouthful of breast.

If you get the same sort of help (well wrong word really) this time how about trying a breastfeeding cafe / drop in centre? They can prove invaluable xxxxx

Hi hun,
Much the same as you i was told my left nipple was inverted when i was trying to feed my eldest. so when i found out i was expecting earlier this year i went straight out and bought the avent nipplette and used it for aslong as i could through the pregnancy. I took it into hospital with me and used between feeds to draw out my very flat nipple. I won't lie to you - i have had problems with the latch on that side which caused me some extreme soreness and not being able to feed off that side for a week but now he's back on its healed up and is tough as old boots :dance: What I would say to you is definatley seek out some support and advice from a breastfeeding counsellor before you have your baby, like Kelsey said... go to a breastfeeding group and get advice from other mums who may have overcome that problem so that support is in place when you have your baby... i was a bit daft really and let myself get into a bit of a shit or bust situation with the breastfeeding before i sought out some help so i got really really sore.. the help is out there hun :hug: goodluck and congratulations :hug: :D xxx

I had inverted nipples - I say "had" because Meadow has pulled them out with her sucking!

There were problems with latch early on, but it was overcome and she is still breastfeeding 15 weeks later.

Try www.kellymom.com for some great info

Dawn
x

I used to have inverted mipples and sadly couldnt bf DD, with my 2nd baby i was determined and managed to feed him, within a couple of weeks my nipples were no longer inverted and now they are permanantly the opposite!!! hehe

Hi everone

Thanks for all the replies. I'm really pleased to hear from all of you that have inverted nipples and are breastfeeding makes me feel so much more positive about trying it again :D Also thank you everyone else for all the advice and www.kellymom.com looks like it has lots of good advice on it so thank you Dawn!

Snuggle do you think that you will be trying again this time?

Once again thank you all xxxxxx :hug: :hug: :hug:

Is there any natural treatment for inverted nipples?, what is the percent chance that i might grow out of them?

Last edited:
I had quite flat nips, so a lactation consultant gave me some advice.

She gave me two large syringes. I had to cut/saw the thin end off, put the plunger bit in the new hole. Then put the end that was the plunger wnd over my nip, and pull the plunger to make them more pronounced. Also have u tried using a pump to express a couple of drops, more to get the nip out?.xx

Talking on my phoneee!! x

I'm so sorry you didn't get the support you needed to breastfeed, that's so bad they just left you to it.
I have flat nipples and was worried before my Lo was born but midwife said I'd be fine, but my sister had trouble so I knew it would be hard for me too. Anyway Leo would latch in hospital and I had loads of help, in the end I was advised to use nipple shields, they're like a fake nipple thing you put over your own (they kind of stick) and they make it easier for baby to latch on and feed. I used them for 4 months and after that he managed to do it without no problem. Please say they hinder your milk production but I never had that problem as I was expressing too so I had a good supply.
Another thing to try while your still pregnant is a little suction device that pulls the nipple out and helps lengthen them. This didn't work for me as I didn't know about it until after Lo arrived and by then it was too late.
Here's links to both products I used.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000067PQ0/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1362897673&sr=8-4&pi=SL75

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00112EIWW/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1362897755&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Hope that helps & good luck!

Lanisoh have a little pump thing that you attach to the nipple, pump a few times and it pulls the nipple out so the baby cant latch on.

i had flat nipples and has to use a shield. I discovered this little device too late to help me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back