inverted nipples / breastfeeding

YoungMummy

Reaction score
:wave:

sorry 2 talk abt this but i dunno who else to turn to mum dont know what 2 do and midwife is telling me its not a problem but to me it is.

i have inverted nipples and read that some times its hard 4 baby 2 latch on i know i gta while till the birth but i want everything to be perfect 4 baby i dont wanna bottle feed i wanna breastfeed but i dunno if it possible. :shakehead:

does anyone know if its possible? :pray:

or if their is anything i can do to help my nipples come out?

help pls i feel silly askin this :oops:

but i know i can get some serious advice from experienced people..

thank you all

:hug:

x

I can't really help as Arianna wouldnt feed directly off me (I exclusively expressed for the first 16-17wks), but I found this....

If your baby latches on well, flat or inverted nipples shouldn't cause difficulties with breastfeeding, though you may find you are a little sore in the early stages.

About ten per cent of women have flat or inverted nipples. There are different degrees of nipple inversion and it's not unusual for a woman to have one inverted nipple and one that sticks out. In this case your baby may initially prefer the more accessible side, but it's important to be patient and persistent and put your baby to the flatter nipple regularly, too. If you can only get your baby to latch on to one side, it is in fact perfectly possible to breastfeed from one side only.

Preparing your breasts before birth with breast shells or nipple rolling exercises appears to make little difference. You often find that nipples that are flat in pregnancy stand out when your baby feeds because of the drawing out action of his jaws. However, in the early days of feeding, using a breast pump before feeds may help to draw out inverted nipples. Avoid engorgement as far as possible so that your baby can 'practice' while your breasts are soft -- your midwife or breastfeeding counsellor will be able to advise you on avoiding engorgement.

You will need skilled help with latching your baby on to the breast for the first few feeds, as your baby has to learn how to open his mouth really wide so that he draws in a deep mouthful of breast. It's worth discussing this with your midwife BEFORE you have your baby, so that you can be sure you get the right help once he is born.

Ultimately, an erect nipple is not essential to successful breastfeeding. Bear in mind that when a baby feeds he takes a mouthful of breast tissue and not only the nipple.

Maybe contact a local breast feeding clinic and ask before you have the baby if the midwife isn't giving you much help.

Hope that helped!! :hug:

I just googled "How to breast feed with inverted nipples" and loads came up. :hug:

hi hun, sorry it'll be a short reply as I've got a Ryan sitting with me atm but I've got flat nipples and I rave about nipple shields :) It was so painful without them and it was getting so frustrating him not latching on properly. everyone said to wait a few weeks before trying them to avoid confusion, and to not use them every feed because it decreases your milksupply. but... i've used them from the day after I came home from hospital (day 4), and for practically every feed, and I'm still breastfeeding at 6 months plus, with no milk supply issues.

if you want any more info or help feel free to PM me :)

:hug:

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 8&mcb=core

hun maybe PM lisa&alex as she had inverted nipples and is feeding Edward successfully.

nipple shields are great i loved them !

also my mw told me i should have been wearing nipple shells antenately and that would have helped brng my nipples out

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back