Breastfeeding in public...

x.Lilly.x

Reaction score
I breastfed my son for 3 months, but every time he needed feeding I would go somewhere with a feeding place or plan when I went out so went out just after a feed.

I know it sounds pathetic but I feel because Im also younger (Im 18) boys will laugh at me more if they saw me breastfeeding than if they saw an older mum?

I think its fab when people can just get it out and think 'F you, im feeding my baby!'.

Also now ill have 2 children itll be such hard work getting a twin pushchair in any feeding places so id love to be able to just 'get it out' and not care and think 'my baby needs feeding so im going to feed her'.
I just feel really embarrasssed.

And also with my son I had SO much milk that as soon as I took my bra down milk would literally like squirt everywhere so I had to get him latched on while milk was flying everywhere, how embarrassing would that be in the middle of starbucks!?

just wondered if anyone had any tips on how to easily feed in public without too many people noticing?
Iv still got my maternity bras and stocked up on some more and have also bought 3 t shirts that you can easily get to your boob by undoing a flap inside.
I also have a sling for baby and it says you can breastfeed while wearing it.

Just wondered if anyone had some incuraging words really?
i think if id of been able to bf my son in public without feeling embarraassed i would of carried on for alot longer!

Last edited:
I'm a first time mum, and I was terrified at the thought if feeding in public. I made sure I bought some feeding blankets (tommee tippee) and I wear clothes that I can easily get to my boob.

I successfully did it one week after I had Isla. I do use mothercares facilities, Its nice to have a drink!

You just need to be confident, and know that it best for your baby and it's well within your rights to feed in public:

The Equality Act 2010 prohibits discrimination against women who are breastfeeding.

Good luck xx

really? so shops cant say to you 'sorry your causing a scene get out?''
what are the feeding blankets? like what do they do?

My milk used to squirt everywhere with Sam too! I was so uncomfortable when I first started feeding him, especially as he was slightly tongue tied so I was in agony for the first few months and he used to take forever to feed...I bought myself a feeding cover though (like these but I got mine on ebay - http://www.freedombabe.co.uk/?gclid=COLf2_THv6UCFQ1O4QodtSJFug) and it was the best thing ever for me for feeding him because it has a gap at the top so you can see what you're doing and your baby can see you but nobody else can see anything. By the time I stopped feeding him I was far more comfortable though, and I could easily get him on my knee and feed him without anyone seeing anything...no worries about fountains of milk by then either :lol: I wear a vest top with a low neck bit under whatever I'm wearing and pull it down over my bra, and pull my top up - so you really hardly get anything out anyway, and you can pull your top down right to where they're feeding x x

I LOVE that sams mum! gonna have a nosey now on ebay and see if i can find one! xx

with the cover, do you put your baby on you lap then put the cover over or put the cover on and then get baby underneath it?

I used to put him on my knee then put the cover on, then start feeding - it's basically just an apron with a stiff bit in the neck so that it sticks out for you to see...you could probably make one quite easily x x

I was also wondering how im going to work this, i am a first timer :) and really am determined to breast feed. I was wondering about being discreet and youve answered all my questions. gonna do the same as lily and look out for a similar cover thing, maybe invest in one after xmas so its all ready to go! xx

im thinking the same thing, i hope im confident enough to tell pple to p*ss off im feeding my baby, but realisitically im not sure if i will do,

i really really really want to succeed with bfeeding, mainly cos of beneifts to baby, but cos i dont think il b able to afford the costs of tins of milk, oh my gosh they are expensive!!

im now also looking on ebay :)

i remember last xmas when my sister in law had her lil girl she ended up feeding her daughter in a toilet n i vowed to never do that or feel like i have to, i dont think im confident enuf to just wack ye old boob out sat on a park bench but i hope i develop the ability to do it when needed,lol

good luck ladies!!
xxx

Hope you win it! It really helped me become more confident feeding in public - I used to go upstairs when people were visiting too, especially male friends, FIL etc but now I don't think anything of it because I know I can feed him so they can't see anything - even just turning round slightly on the sofa and propping him up on some cushions helps if I'm at home and with people I wouldn't want to see anything x

I was really nervous about breast feeding in public to begin with, but don't even think about it now! I use a Mamascarf (although don't waste your money on buying one, any large square scarf will do the same job) and can honestly say that no-one has ever said anything bad whilst I've been feeding. Perhaps people wouldn't say anything in front of me, which is fine by me, they can say what they like anyway lol! The only thing I have found is that as I've become more confident, it's almost as though I have no shame and will just whip 'em out anywhere lol - OH has to remind me to cover up first sometimes too hehe - he's more embarrassed than I am! You'll be fine girls!

Slightly off topic, but those Breastfeeding aprons that are labeled "Discreet" .. The one with "Feeding In Progress" Kinda defeats the point dont it? lmao

The best thing I did was go to a baby cafe, it really helped me get my confidence with feeding generally but also allowed me to practice being discrete in a safe place. DH and I went all
Over in the 2 weeks he was off on paternity leave so he would stand or lean while we were latching and unlatching and I was feeling a bit exposed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best thing I did was go to a baby cafe, it really helped me get my confidence with feeding generally but also allowed me to practice being discrete in a safe place. DH and I went all
Over in the 2 weeks he was off on paternity leave so he would stand or lean while we were latching and unlatching and I was feeling a bit exposed...

Baby Cafes are really good, I've always found lots of support there :)

I wouldn't worry too much hunni I'm 22 and just had my third baby so I was young hen I had my first and tbh I felt really weird but the more I did it the more confident I became I have even strolled around asda boob out feeding and in merry hill you get some looks but I just ignore it if anyone ever said anything to me I would give them my piece of mind - people have even offered me oh we have a nice quiet corner over here mam - I'm like no tar I'm comfy where I am (they always look shocked but never argue and they smile) I don't use any cover or wrap either and my milk squirts like mad squirted my hubby the other night when I took my bra off haha he wasn't amused as for younger lads they might look but you will find half of them will be to embarrassed to say anything and they other half just won't care hope this helps xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iv never fed in public even in bf cafe i have ginormous boobs which point south so gettin a good feedin position isnt easy so i give bottles out n feed at home

I'm glad you brought this up, I have 3 kids but never breastfed before, and determined to this time make it work, and it will also save soo much money in formula powder, but even at my age, I know I will have a prob, even with male freinds and relatives , don't want my dad to see my boobs! or have to disapear when feeding time is here!

So I took a gamble, and brought one of these, it arrived at the weekend, and it's great!
was going to go for safe black as I'm not girly, but made myself pick something girlier that would not clash too much with jeans and black and white etc. what do you think? It actually looks great on, and I feel much more confident to go to consta or starbucks in town now while establishing a routene and can't time it for going out around feeds etc.

http://www.mumstheword.com/products-Baby-BuBu-Breastfeeding-Covers-Classic-Prints_BAB026.htm

I went for Gold Posey

I fed Morgan in a cafe in Cardiff once. It was a whole day trip out with the sole mission of me feeding him in public so the first time was over and done with and we could forget obout our nerves :lol:

I wore a vesttop with really long straps and just wore in under my boobs. then over that I wore a loose fitting top and a cardigan. Honestly, by the time I sorted it out you'd never know I was feeding him at all. You have to wear the right clothes though so try it out at home. We had real issues latching on too, he wasnt one of those babies who you could wave vaguely in the area of your nipple and he'd do it himself. I was so chuffed. Later on we went and sat in the park and I sat on the ground and fed him again. OH was amazed you couldnt see a tiny bit of my flesh. :yay:

I imagine once you get good at BFing it would get even easier :flower: Im so impressed that even though youre nervous youre going to do it anyway, youre baby has a wonderful mummy! :love:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back