When did you stop breastfeeding in public?

Lola's Mummy

Reaction score
My little girl is 6 months old now and i plan to carry on feeding her until she self weans, Hopefully at 18/24 months :)

Yesterday i was out with my mum and Lola wanted feeding so i started to feed her. My mum then said to me "I think Lola is getting to big to feed in public now" :shock: I couldn't believe it and told her i'm going to feed her in public for as long as i feel comfortable.
I'm really annoyed at her now though and it has made me feel uncomfortable to do it again :(

What age did everyone else stop breastfeeding in public?

OMG, I would have been so angry! Especially a comment like that from your mum! My mum can be very thoughtless too sometimes so :hug: .

I am planning to feed my DD until she self weans too and will probably feed her in public until about 1 or she's walking - she's not that big (about 16lbs now) so I don't feel awkward about it yet. I think after she's a year I'll introduce solid 'snacks' mid morning and mid afternoon - substituting 2 of her feeds. I'll have to anyway as I'll be back at work 2 or 3 days a week but I'll keep the morning and evening breastfeeds every day until she self-weans - which obviously won't be in public anyway.

I thought having a read of this older thread might help you - clicky.

Don't feel embarassed hon and give your Mum a dressing down!

Valentine Xxx

I'd be angry too! It's your choice and I think it says more about your Mum's hang ups than anything else! You go for it as long as you and LO want to! Have you heard of something called a "hooter hider", look it up online, it would help if you start to feel self conscious!

Keep going! And be proud!

Ooh you found my thread V!

I stopped breastfeeding Austin in public when he was about 9 months but only because I stopped breastfeeding during the day anyway. I only breastfeed him first thing in the morning now. If I hadn't stopped I'd still do it in public - if anyone has a problem with it it's THEIR problem not yours. They don't have to look if they don't like it!

My niece is 6 months and a big baby & my sister always feeds her in public - she's never had a negative reaction.

By the way huge congratulations for getting to 6 months! :hug:

I breastfed both mine till about 9 months and never avoided it in public cos of their size! I think your mom was really wrong to say something!

Just need to confirm something, when weaning you still breastfeed right?? im going through this stage so i think ill be breastfeeding til shes 9 months as well as her being on solids???

HELP lol

x

maria1976 said:
Just need to confirm something, when weaning you still breastfeed right?? im going through this stage so i think ill be breastfeeding til shes 9 months as well as her being on solids???

HELP lol

x

yep they still need either breastmilk or formula up to 1 year old.

Can't believe she said that,specially when Lola is only 6 months! I shall bf in public as long as I want to...I don't care what people think of me now, so why not :lol: Some people are so weird about bf. When i told people willow had her first tooth,it was all "oh,you'll have to get her off the breast then!" Er,no!

Thea will be 17 months on the 22nd of the month and we still breastfeed in public on all most a daily basis. If my daughter wants to feed then i let her and if that makes anyone else uncomfortable thats their problem not mine!

maria1976 said:

HELP lol

x

Yeah, you can also add expressed breastmilk to the weaning foods :)

lol.. thats something my mum would say.. im learning to tell ehr mum.. mind your own business please.. or i just get angry at ehr and end up no talking.. yeah ok.. your opinion is valid.. but when its negative i would prefure you to keep it to yourself.. if you have nothing nice to say.. say nothing at all is what you used to teach me.. so take your owen advise..

brings her down a peg or two..

babies are supposed to be breastfed till they are atleast 1, and i would say longer. im not comfortable with the idea of my child feeding when they are older.. i think its gonna be hard to stop whatever age he is.. but i would like to get to one. i will be very proud of myself to reach 12 months..as ive seen.. most babies start to wean about 6 months and they cut their bfs down to one or two a day.. if he is still having a boobie feed up untill he is one i might stop after that.. who knows.. realistically she is your baby and tell everyone else to mind ur own opinion.

Oli did it a few times when she was 13 months but weaned shortly after that :(

Melanie said:
Thea will be 17 months on the 22nd of the month and we still breastfeed in public on all most a daily basis. If my daughter wants to feed then i let her and if that makes anyone else uncomfortable thats their problem not mine!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Nothing to add as Melanie has said it all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back