Breast feeding and ttc

Sarah13

Reaction score
Not even sure where to post this! How likely is it I could get pregnant when I've not had a period and still bf full time? We're ntnp just letting nature decide I guess, Id love a small age gap but don't want to give up breast feeding until at least a year. Anyone know how to maximize my chances of falling pregnant?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I think that normally once you're weaning and feeds are getting less, your periods can start to return, so normally round the 6 month mark. With you blw it may take longer as he probably hasn't dropped any feeds yet.

I think sometimes when they drop night feeds this can help. Could you give him water, say every other feed time at night? (though I know that may be easier said than done). Mine still haven't returned, I though I had a bleed once but it was so light I'm not really sure what it was. I want to keep bf til 1 year too.

Could you buy some opk's and maybe for a month do them and see if you get any surges? I don't know a lot about them, but maybe it would show up if/when your ovulating? Or just bd any time your oh is home and hopefully it will happen. Good luck Hun

Good question! I know it can take a while for periods to return, I think because you are still breastfeeding night and day its probably going to be difficult, unless you are able to reduce the amount??
My aunt fell pregnant when my cousin was about 9 months old so it is obviously more likely the older they get. I'm going to wait until about October to try so I'm hoping things might have returned to normal by then.
I can't wait for another bump :) Good luck TTC XXXX

Guess Ill just see what happens over the next few months, i like the idea of 2 babies but mother nature might not!

Yayy for a close gap, I had 13 mths between my second and third babies and it was hard work but brilliant!
I tried for 3 mths and was then 4 weeks preg when my little one was 5 mths I think. (number 2 did take his first steps while I was in hosp and I missed them tho!!). I was also bottle feeding him.

With my last Devon I was breastfeeding till 12 mths, but after every meal at 6 mths I was giving him a little BF afterwards. I wanted to make sure he ate more food and cut down BF a little, so I stopped these BF's and left it to first thing BF and bedtime BF, because I cut down suddenly (thats what the internet says , when I looked it up after), this is a big reason as to why my periods returned then. I stopped the extra milk the day he turned 7 mths, and bang 28 days later my AF arrived!!! Spooky. You don't need it to arrive to fall preg tho, you can still ovulate without period, but I think it will help your chances.

Good luck Sarah X

I don't have any advice just want to say good Luck with ttc xxx

Awww thanks! Im looking fwd to having 2 little ones to grow up together, guess Ill just see what mother nature has in store!

Hi Sarah - it sounds like I'm in exactly the same boat as you. My LO is 1 in a fortnight and still bf and still no period. I want another asap BUT can't bring myself to mess around with her feeding in the hopes of speeding things up, so will just be waiting on Mother Nature to sort it out.

It's definitely possible to get knocked up before af comes back though, fingers crossed for both of us!

Good luck cantstop, hope it happens soon for you

Good luck can'tstop! Im the same bf comes first so what will be will be!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Sassy and Sarah, let's hope Mother Nature gets her wriggle on!

aw so jealous your trying again already! my OH has banned me from even discussing trying for the next one until LO is a year old, I would try now if I had my way!!!!
I cant really offer any advice but I stopped BF when LO was 6 months and I literally got my first period a week after the last feed so it happened far quicker than I thought, so maybe once LO starts to cut down on his milk feeds you will have more of a chance, my DR did tell me as soon as you introduce any bottle top ups at all even one a day it dramatically reduces the effectiveness of BF as a contraception? Although its not unheard of to get a BFP when full BF so you will hopefully not have a problem!!

I was exclusively breastfeeding my first and Af returned at 6 months, pregnant the month after. With the second AF returned at 8 months (breastfeeding and BLW). With the 3rd Af returned at 6 months (exclusively brestfeeding). It's not impossible. Fingers crossed for you! x

I was exclusively breastfeeding my first and Af returned at 6 months, pregnant the month after. With the second AF returned at 8 months (breastfeeding and BLW). With the 3rd Af returned at 6 months (exclusively brestfeeding). It's not impossible. Fingers crossed for you! x

Thanks ym, still no period yet but discharge has changed so maybe it will be back soon, Id like to be pregnant by the time he is 1 but I suppose it doesn't matter if it takes longer as Im enjoying my time concentrating on just one baby!

I still have no period and my boy is 9 months soon. I went to have a scan to see whats going on and they said it looks like my ovaries are still "resting".
I would like to ttc too but nothing i.can do really and he still wants to feed at night.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Still no period here either and C is round the same age as Knopk's lo. Still bf lots here, so probably be a while before I get mine back

Maybe Im 'resting' too. How did you get a scan knopk? I've felt really crampy and dizzy today so think I could get af, we'll see.
I was thinking, how would you even know when to test or if to test if no af? Do you think you just test if you feel a bit pregnant?

G still feeds every hour or two at night... I guess I won't be getting periods for ages!

I got AF back end of May, we were EBF but now doing Ble too so F was 5.5months when they cane back. Rubbish tho as o was so grumpy then 14 after grumpy and crampy again, then ov'd feel permenantly hormonal!

Sorry.for all typos, that should say 14days later I was grumpy again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back